Aldeer.com

Ain't over till the fat lady sings

Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/24/17 09:17 AM

Well this wkend turned out to be a bust; had some gobbling off-property Sat & then Sunday my bud & I spooked 3 gobs (2 jakes, 1 tom) on the side of the road on a pasture we were going to hunt frown ...

BUT, it ain't over till it's over - don't quit... Last year proved that it can still happen as long as there's hunting season in effect; I killed a bird the very last morning, and he came in on a string... Hoping for the same luck this coming wkend...

Good luck everybody!!
BGD
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/24/17 09:31 AM

She ain't singing yet but she's tuning up! I'm trying to figure out if I can get away from work one morning this week to try to kill "drummer boy", loudest drumming bird I have ever heard. I missed him first day of season and he absolutely will not come to a call and he still has hens with him. Managed to get in front of him Saturday but got ran off by the lightning. I've got a good pattern on where he likes to go, hoping my buddy can kill him this morning.

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/24/17 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Cousneddy
I'm trying to figure out if I can get away from work one morning this week to try to kill "drummer boy", loudest drumming bird I have ever heard.

Awesome; stay after him, man -- good luck!
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/24/17 10:56 AM

Im going Wednesday and Friday to finish out season. Hoping to add to already the best season Ive had. Gonna sit out on a big field one morning, then punish myself on the WMA another.

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/24/17 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: AUwrestler
Im going Wednesday and Friday to finish out season. Hoping to add to already the best season Ive had. Gonna sit out on a big field one morning, then punish myself on the WMA another.

Good luck man
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/24/17 11:46 AM

She ain't singing yet but she's tuning up! I'm trying to figure out if I can get away from work one morning this week to try to kill "drummer boy", loudest drumming bird I have ever heard. I missed him first day of season and he absolutely will not come to a call and he still has hens with him. Managed to get in front of him Saturday but got ran off by the lightning. I've got a good pattern on where he likes to go, hoping my buddy can kill him this morning.

I'm in limestone county and willing to help. Don't let him get the best of you smile

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/24/17 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: YEKRUT

I'm in limestone county and willing to help. Don't let him get the best of you smile

Text from my buddy after hunting him this morning - That is 1 smart bird!!! I am thinking I can get to where he has been roosting after work, might have to try that tomorrow.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/24/17 01:17 PM

I should come help, these smart birds ain't no joke. Next think you know he will have you down on the ground walking it down. At the very least I could shoot him off your back.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/24/17 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: YEKRUT
Next think you know he will have you down on the ground walking it down. At the very least I could shoot him off your back.

rofl
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/24/17 08:00 PM

I'll for sure be after them Saturday and Sunday. Trying to sneak another mid week hunt in also.
Posted By: buckbrush

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/24/17 08:32 PM

Keep after them went today with very low expectations but ended up being one of the best gobbling days all year. Heard over half dozen birds and stayed on top of one all morning. Ended up calling two that came sprinting in barely had time to get my gun up. Saw them at 70 yds and they closed to 10 in just a few seconds. Had 1" spurs and 11.5 beard. Body weight was only 18lbs with zero fat. They are searching hard.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/25/17 06:29 AM

It's been 2 weeks since i've been able to go, and was wondering if they were still acting right?

Re: Ain't over till the fat lady sings - 04/25/17 08:52 AM

Going this afternoon to hunt him, if I can't get him I'll roost him for tomorrow morning. Got half day vacation approved grin
© 2024 ALDEER.COM