Aldeer.com

Turkey strategy books?

Posted By: Remington270

Turkey strategy books? - 04/16/17 02:11 PM

I know some of y'all are stone cold turkey killers. Anybody read any books on turkey strategy? I had 3 gobbling yesterday and couldn't close on any of them. I think I need more tricks.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/16/17 02:44 PM

Sticky at the top probably got more info than any one book.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/16/17 04:21 PM

A lot of experience...I used to read all about strategies and such but I feel that being able to read the birds mood and all is a lot better than having strategies in your head...the instincts take over as to should I move or should I throw my call etc
Posted By: Hevishot13

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/16/17 05:11 PM

Yep ^
Posted By: NFHunter

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/16/17 05:42 PM

Too many variables to try to wrap it up in a book. Just gotta go, learn from every trip.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/16/17 05:53 PM

If anybody's going to write one, I nominate our very own PoorCountryPreacher.
Even with my omnipotent wisdom, above average intelligence and remarkably splendid enlightenment, I must bow to the proven undeniable commander of the elusive long beards.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/16/17 07:37 PM

Ive learned alot from the springthunder series on youtube.
Posted By: Camden86

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/17/17 08:32 AM

Cabela's Spring Thunder on Youtube has some Great Insight and tips
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/17/17 12:22 PM

PM sent to you
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/17/17 04:30 PM

I could write one on things not to do, LOL!

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/17/17 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Whild_Bill
I could write one on things not to do, LOL!

That's actually the best advice. Once you've learned enough of what not do, they call you an expert.
Posted By: Highlandhomeboy

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/17/17 05:20 PM

A lot of good advice in this thread in my opinion. The best thing you can do is learn from experience. Learning what to do and what not to do. One little tip I have is that I journal my hunts when I have a major take away. I journal weather, when the dogwoods bloom, when I see my first nest, when I see hens wandering by themselves, etc. I am by no means a turkey murderer like some on this board, but my notes from previous years have helped me.
Posted By: Highlandhomeboy

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/17/17 05:21 PM

Also, I think it will be really cool to give my son or my grandson my journals one day.

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/17/17 05:33 PM

Lord, if I had kept a lifelong hunting journal somebody would be using in a comedy routine by now.
Posted By: BC_Reb

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/18/17 02:56 AM

"The wild turkey, and it's hunting," is a book I've found useful. I need to read it again soon. There's a part about calling to a gobbling bird that's really helped me out, and made me a more patient hunter. No telling how many committed birds I walked away from before I read that book.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/18/17 06:47 AM

I could write a book of turkey stories, but I sure don't know enough to write one on strategy. I kill some turkeys every year because I go a whole lot. And I have several decent places to hunt. If you have those 2 things you will kill turkeys, provided you follow rule #1- Don't scare the turkey. If you have turkeys and time to hunt, you can kill them.

I think you will find that most of the guys on here that consistently kill turkeys have worked really hard to get several good places to hunt. There are few places that are good every year, so you better have more than one place to hunt.

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/18/17 07:17 AM

I had a great uncle who truely had the gift. He wore faded overalls and used one old lynch box call, and killed more turkeys than anyone I know.
I sure wish I had been smarter before he died, and spent more time with him. Great secrets are dying around us everyday.
You young fellers should take notice and go spend time with the old men you know who have a talent. They'll almost always welcome the chance to share their knowledge.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/18/17 08:36 AM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
I kill some turkeys every year because I go a whole lot. And I have several decent places to hunt.

There's your strategy book right there.
Posted By: ivanwright

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/18/17 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: BC_Reb
"The wild turkey, and it's hunting," is a book I've found useful. I need to read it again soon. There's a part about calling to a gobbling bird that's really helped me out, and made me a more patient hunter. No telling how many committed birds I walked away from before I read that book.

You can read this for free here: https://books.google.com/books?id=CASbSeWBCbcC&source=gbs_book_other_versions
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/18/17 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BC_Reb

I know the exact part you're talking about. Tom Kelley has referenced that same line in one of his books. Best advice ever given on how to kill a turkey, IMO
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Turkey strategy books? - 04/18/17 10:26 PM

http://www.dccl.org/information/turkey/turkeyhunt.htm
Good read for different situations.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM