Aldeer.com

Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting...

Posted By: AUwrestler

Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 08:17 AM

With no gun. She doesnt want to see one get shot, but wants to hear a gobble and see one come into a call. I know I could go to the wma in the afternoon, but dont want to educate a bird if I could have killed him. Any suggestions on places that have good turkey populations, but dont allow hunting around Huntsville. Like maybe montesano mountain, or a place like that? Or do we wait till May 1st and have at it anywhere? Thanks.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 08:31 AM

Hays Nature Preserve or Greenway behind baseball complex
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 08:36 AM

just tell her your carrying the shotgun for snakes.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 08:37 AM

Tell her to go to Bates turkey farm and you go hunting. She could probably hear hundreds gobble there.
Posted By: alight1983

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 08:45 AM

Head up to cades cove
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 08:58 AM

Record one gobbling with your phone.

Dr. B
Posted By: RacksnSpurs

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 09:04 AM

just take her to lake martin over to the fire tower and listen you will hear birds, or take her to still waters at lake martin
Posted By: dagwood

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 10:25 AM

Tell her about all the ticks and spiders. She will have to spray down with harmful pesticide and if and when she gets a tick on her, she will have to undergo a series of lime disease shots. Also, you will have to check her for ticks for several days after you get back.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 11:26 AM

Watch YouTube turkey hunting videos outside -- close enough
Posted By: jbc

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 11:52 AM

my wife started in on wanting to play golf one time.

told her that was fine, but coincidentally, I just quit golf if she started.

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 12:14 PM

Im excited she wants to go and enjoy the outdoors. If she gets a sense of the thrill, then she will be more agreeable when I want to hunt. I dont mind using a day during the season to do something together, especially if it gets me in the woods. Just dont want to mess up hunting spots to do it.
Posted By: March15

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 12:18 PM

I'm guessing y'all don't have kids. One day you will and the wife unit wanting to go hunting thing will go away.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: AUwrestler
Im excited she wants to go and enjoy the outdoors. If she gets a sense of the thrill, then she will be more agreeable when I want to hunt. I dont mind using a day during the season to do something together, especially if it gets me in the woods. Just dont want to mess up hunting spots to do it.

In all seriousness, setup a blind on a pasture; that's what I've done, it's close to my house, and I take my daughters hunting & we're inside of it & the wildlife (deer & turkey) never know the difference... She can bring a book, iPad, whatever & move around... And if something happens, great... That's what I would suggest
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 12:33 PM

Sounds like she just wants to go hiking. Just take her to a state park and hike and take a few calls and try to strike one. Let's be honest, hunting without a gun is just hiking in camo.

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: March15
I'm guessing y'all don't have kids. One day you will and the wife unit wanting to go hunting thing will go away.
we have 3 kids.

Thank yall for the advice.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 08:14 PM

take her it aint about killing its spending time with her. If you don't some one else will.

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: PaintRock0
take her it aint about killing its spending time with her. If you don't some one else will.
BINGO! Just looking for a place where we can call one in.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 08:48 PM

YEP!!!!! stop and eat a nice breakfast on the way home better than any date night.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 08:48 PM

PaintRock0 is right. Find a place if possible and take her. The Hays greenway suggestion is good. Not sure if Monte Sano or Blevins Gap HLT trails would have any you could strike. If you make the time with her she'll appreciate it.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 08:52 PM

To each their own, but there's no way I want my wife tagging along turkey hunting. I don't really even like to turkey hunt with friends most of the time. To me, turkey hunting is a one man game as the late Kenny Morgan stated
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: crenshawco
To each their own, but there's no way I want my wife tagging along turkey hunting. I don't really even like to turkey hunt with friends most of the time. To me, turkey hunting is a one man game as the late Kenny Morgan stated
Me too. I hunted with a close friend of mine yesterday who was kind of my turkey hunting mentor when I first started out. He's one of the only people I ever turkey hunt with and very seldom will we hunt together.

We had a conversation a couple weeks ago about hunting alone. I guess we are loners too.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/13/17 10:05 PM

There used to some around Ditto landing. I used to go over there and fool with them but haven't lately. Figured it didn't matter if I educated them since I can't shoot them in city limits.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/14/17 07:47 AM

Bad idea. Get her hunting and you'll never get away from her.
Every man needs alone time. That's why married men go hunting. Never let her invade that sacred space.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/14/17 08:02 AM

I would love it if my wife wanted to go hunting with me....but I don't have to worry about that, because she doesn't like cold or hot or poison ivy or spiders or snakes or mosquitos! I surely don't go hunting to get away from my family, I go because I love to be in the outdoors. I would love nothing more than for them to want to go with me. Right now, my 3 yo daughter is the only one who daily says she wants her own guns and camo and atv and wants to go kill a turkey.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/14/17 08:17 AM

Kids are different.
Absolutely take them hunting.
Wives? Big mistake.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/14/17 12:01 PM

Quote:

I don't like hunting with anyone, either. I enjoy turkey hunting solo.

But if my wife wanted to go and listen and see everything, even without a gun, then I'd take her. Because without a gun it ain't hunting. You're just hiking and calling and listening.
Posted By: TooTall

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/14/17 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: foldemup
I would love it if my wife wanted to go hunting with me....but I don't have to worry about that, because she doesn't like cold or hot or poison ivy or spiders or snakes or mosquitos! I surely don't go hunting to get away from my family, I go because I love to be in the outdoors. I would love nothing more than for them to want to go with me. Right now, my 3 yo daughter is the only one who daily says she wants her own guns and camo and atv and wants to go kill a turkey.

My wife loves to hunt with me, and she is a stone cold killer. It took many years of patience to get her there, but now she is perfectly fine hunting all alone. Funny thing is, when I put her out by herself, at her request, I find myself wishing I had just sat with her. It has been a true blessing to marry a woman who has grown to share my love of the outdoors. I wouldn't have it any other way.

She just wants to spend time with you, take her. Family comes before your personal interests in my opinion. Just go call a bird in for her. Bring your gun but tell her you won't shoot if she doesn't want you too. I did this with my wife on her first hunt ever. She said she didn't want me to kill anything in front of her, but as soon as she heard that first gobble she said, "are you gonna shoot him?" I killed two birds on consecutive mornings with her and she has never looked back.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/14/17 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Out back
Kids are different.
Absolutely take them hunting.
Wives? Big mistake.

Gotta agree with Outback on this one. My wife doesn't know it yet, but she is gonna take up turkey hunting when they lower the limit. But that will be different. smile
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/14/17 10:58 PM

My wife doesn't go hunting and I don't go shopping.
Posted By: Goose11

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/18/17 11:31 AM

Just say no. Turkeys must die.
Posted By: LUMPY

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/18/17 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: foldemup
same here. except my daughter is 4
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Need help, wife wants to go turkey hunting... - 04/18/17 12:42 PM

I've called two in for my wife this year, she missed one and smoked the other. Shes killed a few others in years past and she really enjoys it. she even took one her friends without me this year and had a good hunt. she just text me while she was hunting for advice. Its a pretty cool feeling to see them be able to relate and understand the feeling and reasoning behind your disease
© 2024 ALDEER.COM