Aldeer.com

Opinions

Posted By: AFflyer205

Opinions - 04/11/17 08:39 PM

So Im not brand new to turkey hunting just more serious about it this year. The last couple years Ive been able to get them to respond but eventually get hung up, however, today I had one gobble at about 7:45 pretty far off. He eventually moved in but hung up about 30 or so yards outside field. This went one for 4 hours. He'd walk back and forth and answer everything I threw out. He eventually left but I could still hear him so I moved locations where I could hear him better. This talking back and forth went on for another hour and just when he finally moves in where I can catch a glimpse a family member comes driving down the road and he flys off. Long story short , from what i saw it didn't appear that he was a beard dragger but are y'all thinking this was an old bird?? I guess Im just looking for someone to make me feel like those 5 hours of working wasn't wasted lol
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Opinions - 04/11/17 08:56 PM

If you called everytime he gobbled, he probably was waiting on the hen to show up. Either a decoy, or being silent might have helped. But i might have tried a fighting purr after a couple hours. Im no expert, just giving my $0.02.
Posted By: t123winters

Re: Opinions - 04/11/17 08:59 PM

My opinion would be,You probably over called to him.When it gets this late in the season,they can become very weary of any call sound,but if you just tone down,and not call very much to him,they get anxious,and come looking.I would also say it didn't help that you were close to a field where he could see that there wasn't a hen there where he knows he just heard her.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Opinions - 04/11/17 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: t123winters
My opinion would be,You probably over called to him.When it gets this late in the season,they can become very weary of any call sound,but if you just tone down,and not call very much to him,they get anxious,and come looking.I would also say it didn't help that you were close to a field where he could see that there wasn't a hen there where he knows he just heard her.

Yep
© 2024 ALDEER.COM