Aldeer.com

What a sick feeling.

Posted By: flounderpounder

What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 06:54 PM

Called up what I thought was my first turkey this am after I heard him gobbling right after day break about 100yds away. I yelped 3 times softly and here he come gobbling the whole way. Turns out THERE ARE 3 long beards they were just gobbling at the same time.. They stopped at a fence at 60yds on the edge of the field and wouldn't come any closer. Their hens showed up and started pulling them away. I took a shot at one from about 55yds with 3" TSS after I crawled a bit closer from behind some cover but didn't cut a feather. On the way out I patterned my 1187 shot TSS, Winchester extended range, heavy shot mag blends, and Nitro EVERY shot was 9" low at 40yds. Its my fault because I had never patterned this gun before with this Indian creek choke. I had a Tight Wad in it previously and it wasn't close to being this low. Anyone ever had this happen? I know a lot of mistakes were made and before ya'll judge them this was my first ever solo turkey hunt after my first bird. A lot was learned.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 07:04 PM

Nope, I always shoot my gun prior to hunting with it.

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 07:13 PM

I have shot it several times, I just switched to what I thought was a better choke. I had no idea it could make that much of a difference.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 07:18 PM

Yep. It may give you a tighter pattern, but also can change your point of impact. Lessons learned that way, suck. Been there, done that. However, those aren't usually forgotten.

Good luck with the rest of the season.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 07:35 PM

I feel like I need to shoot and check my 870's after taking the barrel off, simply cleaning the gun, and putting it back together. Paranoia can be a good thing sometimes.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 07:43 PM

All chokes are not machined the same. Concentricity is not achieved in every choke made.
Posted By: jbc

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 07:45 PM

Hate that for you.

Sucks
Posted By: Tky247

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 08:10 PM

Every Indian Creek choke I have seen does not shoot to aim. All have been 4-10 inches off at 40 yds
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 08:12 PM

Almost any change can move the poi. A choke will for sure, and so will a change in the stock. Sorry you missed. I'd shoot a round of tss too if I were gonna hunt with it. I can have a much different poi from a factory shell.

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 08:42 PM

I ordered a B- Square that way I could add an optic so I could make some elevation adjustment. I was drawing a fine bead and it was way low.
Posted By: hyco

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Tky247
Every Indian Creek choke I have seen does not shoot to aim. All have been 4-10 inches off at 40 yds
mine drills at 40yards however, my buddy has same set up and his shoot low and right at 40 yards.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 09:08 PM

Just my opinion but I've never agreed with what seems like everybody else in the worlds obsession with super tight patterns. Sounds like all your shot hit the ground before it got there.
Better learn how to deal with getting your butt kicked. smile
Posted By: Peach

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 09:15 PM

I had this problem. The sporting goods store did not believe that my new gun was shooting that low. They took it and shot it and gave me a new gun. Said the threads were not machined correctly and caused the choke to point downward.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Peach
I had this problem. The sporting goods store did not believe that my new gun was shooting that low. They took it and shot it and gave me a new gun. Said the threads were not machined correctly and caused the choke to point downward.

Benelli would have to give out all new guns, I don't know of one that doesn't shoot a foot high.
Posted By: gobbler

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: YEKRUT

Benelli would have to give out all new guns, I don't know of one that doesn't shoot a foot high.

True Dat - my Franchi too
grin
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 09:53 PM

Well sounds like you've got turkeys to look forward to getting after once you get sighted in. There has been very little gobbling on the property I lease which is a first in the several years I have hunted it.

Do you hunt around Mobile? Just curious. I am moving to the area in a couple months.

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/21/17 10:15 PM

yes, I live in the mobile area and hunt about 30min N of Mobile
Posted By: JLavender

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/22/17 12:03 AM

So this has me thinking....if you POA and POI are the same at 15yds it will be the same at 40yds correct?
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/22/17 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: YAK-EM'
So this has me thinking....if you POA and POI are the same at 15yds it will be the same at 40yds correct?

Depends on how you are aiming. If you are just using a bead you are probably ok. If you are using a scope, then it might be a little high at 40. I'd shoot it and see.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/22/17 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: YEKRUT

Preach on!!
Posted By: JLavender

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/22/17 08:09 AM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted By: YAK-EM'

Depends on how you are aiming. If you are just using a bead you are probably ok. If you are using a scope, then it might be a little high at 40. I'd shoot it and see.

I have a pro series magnum gobble dot...I shot it at 10, 20, and 30 and all was ok
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/22/17 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: flounderpounder
Its my fault because I had never patterned this gun before with this Indian creek choke. I had a Tight Wad in it previously and it wasn't close to being this low. Anyone ever had this happen?

IMO too many hunters screw with a setup that works far too often; not coming down on you, but every single tweak you make has an impact & if you're not willing to follow-through & test that impact w/several shots, just don't make the change until you have the time. You learned this the hard way, and educated the birds all at the same time.

Once I have a a setup that's working, man, I never jack with it b/c I want 100% confidence in the woods. I'd also say - don't be lured in by "more expensive XXX" ... An old timer turkey hunter I know still shoots his beat-up 835 Ulti-Mag w/the factory turkey choke & absolutely slays 'em... Find a setup that nails it at 30-40 yards & let it ride. [disclaimer: this is old skool philosophy, but sometimes old skool's the best skool]

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/22/17 06:39 PM

I know it.. The tight wad wasn't grouping all that great, I didn't think it would throw it off that far honestly.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/23/17 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: flounderpounder
I know it.. The tight wad wasn't grouping all that great, I didn't think it would throw it off that far honestly.

Man, both my shotguns have TightWads (have for years) and I can blow 'em down at 50 yards... What shells are you using? MagBlends work particular well w/both my guns w/TightWad chokes...
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/23/17 09:38 AM

I know your pain dang moving trees

Re: What a sick feeling. - 03/23/17 08:17 PM

the orange tint to those reflex red dot sights, can turkeys see those???? When pointed at a target you can see the orange or red color in those things.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM