Aldeer.com

With the season so close ...

Posted By: Clem

With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 09:24 AM

Anyone seeing any turkey scrapes yet? Big scrapes don't always indicate a big gobbler, but they should be showing up soon.
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 09:30 AM

I saw a couple small ones Sunday, but no PBT scrapes. I think the weather has them messed up

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 09:31 AM

It's definitely causing some problems with the cold nighttime lows and weird barometric pressures.
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 09:33 AM

I just don't think imma go until the PBT start tearin up the woods scraping...not worth it to me...
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

I found some huge ruts where my PBT's wallered out a spot to sleep overnight... Still had some feathers in the crater where he slept... Those Boar Toms can really tear up the woods...
Posted By: 257wbymag

Anybody know when PBT rut is on in central bama?
Posted By: Lonster

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 09:39 AM

Found three scrapes Saturday with hen droppings in them, also found a couple of Brand new spur rubs. I think the timing will be just right here in NW Bama.
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 09:42 AM

What trees do turkeys prefer to make their spur rubs on? I think I will plant lots of them in the future.

Also, I'm out of touch with the new parlence. PBT? I'm guessing (?)-Boar-Tom?
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 09:52 AM

I made some mock rubs and scrapes with the glands off a turkey I killed a few years ago. It drives the PBT's nuts.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 10:07 AM

You won't find much scraping if your sex ratio is out of whack. You need to lay it to the hens and let those 2 year old gobblers walk.

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: AU_trout_bum
What trees do turkeys prefer to make their spur rubs on? I think I will plant lots of them in the future.

Pig Boar Tom = PBT
Re: tree, well... Any ole tree'll do, so long as you pour chlorox on a pine stump next to it... Once they catch a good whiff of that chlorox wafting thru the woods, they'll rip hell outta any tree next to it...
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 10:18 AM

Originally Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Pig Boar Tom = PBT
Re: tree, well... Any ole tree'll do, so long as you pour chlorox on a pine stump next to it... Once they catch a good whiff of that chlorox wafting thru the woods, they'll rip hell outta any tree next to it...

If you put out enough clorox stumps in the spring, you may wind up with a few white-ish color phase birds then next couple of years. Can make for some nice trophies.

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle

Pig Boar Tom = PBT

If you put out enough clorox stumps in the spring, you may wind up with a few white-ish color phase birds then next couple of years. Can make for some nice trophies.

Or multiple beards, ya ... Either way, super cool!!
Posted By: tbest3

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Yelp softly
You won't find much scraping if your sex ratio is out of whack. You need to lay it to the hens and let those 2 year old gobblers walk.

Great advice here. Think we'll be taking out a few hens early season to try to get our numbers where they need to be.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 11:10 AM

I've been making mock scrapes and dabbing roost limbs to establish a PBT sanctuary. Should be ready for the opener.

Posted By: BrentM

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 12:03 PM

Y'all gonna have the woods stunk up so bad stomping around in there you ain't gonna have nothing but squealers and goblets walking in the daylight.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: BrentM
Y'all gonna have the woods stunk up so bad stomping around in there you ain't gonna have nothing but squealers and goblets walking in the daylight.

The birds most of the places I hunt have pretty much all gone nocturnal. Only chance at killing one is when they head back to their sanctuary to bed down for the day.

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
The birds most of the places I hunt have pretty much all gone nocturnal. Only chance at killing one is when they head back to their sanctuary to bed down for the day.

Hell, the birds on my place have done all shed their beards & spurs & most have dropped their fans... Hard to tell hens from PBT's, but ... hoping the rut gets 'em all stinky so we can smell the difference!
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 12:40 PM

I've found that most our turkeys feed most on nights with a full moon so I've covered to the tops of several acres of oaks with landscape fabric to keep the light out... I figure the sunlight can still get through and should help em move more during daylight hours. Only downside, found a nice cowhorn jake strangled in the fabric... think he tried to chase a buzzard that was flying on other side of the fabric. Young ones will try to breed anything during the rut.

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 12:40 PM

Quote:

Yelp is right, definitely let the young ones walk so we can get those big PBTs and mature toms to help the herd.

Also, don't forget to put in fresh batteries and SD cards in all of your sanctuary cameras.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 12:42 PM

I found a bobcat that had been killed by a PBT..The cat was full of spur holes and had a J turd laying on his head. I hope to catch up with that one this year.
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 12:50 PM

If you hadn't been piddling, you probably wouldn't have found that cat or PBT sign... just shows it pays to piddle

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 12:53 PM

Yeah, the other night, I was listening from my front porch & heard 3-4 PBT's around 8pm or so howling like they'd killed a cow or something... A pack of PBT's can cause all sorts of havoc... I'm scared now to go PBT hunting w/out a pistol or some sort of side-arm like The Judge...
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 12:53 PM

I haven't been able to find any rattling Spurs, and what's the best time to rattle them? Will it scare away Jakes and ensure I only call in PBT's?

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 12:56 PM

Quote:
I'm scared now to go PBT hunting w/out a pistol or some sort of side-arm like The Judge...

You better get some souped-up super duper kill 'em DRT at 132 yards TSS-style SuperShotSupremeMagKiller loads for that Judge for any CQB situations with a PBT.

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Quote:
I'm scared now to go PBT hunting w/out a pistol or some sort of side-arm like The Judge...

You better get some souped-up super duper kill 'em DRT at 132 yards TSS-style SuperShotSupremeMagKiller loads for that Judge for any CQB situations with a PBT.

10-4 good buddy!!! I'll get on that today! thumbup God, those PBT's sound spooky when they get to howlin' like that...

I might've over-done my chlorox stumps, I dunno... Scared to go into the woods now...
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 01:00 PM

Every dam one of y'all are full of chit. Anybody who has ever spent time in the turkey woods knows the PBT only mark their territories by chitting from the roost limb and having it splatter all over everything under the tree. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes.

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 01:05 PM

I believe the Chlorox stumps can have a detrimental effect on the adipose vomeronasal gland releases of PBTs when they're in the rut, thus negating the effectiveness of their genetic dispersal among the sub-classes of recruiting poults. Have to be careful with those stumps in spring.

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 01:12 PM

I believe the Chlorox stumps can have a detrimental effect on the adipose vomeronasal gland releases of PBTs when they're in the rut, thus negating the effectiveness of their genetic dispersal among the sub-classes of recruiting poults. Have to be careful with those stumps in spring.

Crap!! I forgot to read PCP's dissertation on that!! frown
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 01:16 PM

Im dieing over here. But PBT's are the reason people dont turkey hunt on horse back anymore. Too many horses killed by aggressive birds.

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 01:51 PM

I'm going to the next CAB meeting and ask for centerfire rifles to be legalized for turkeys. I'm tired of watching those old PBTs out in the middle of a pasture all season. We ought to make hunting as easy as possible.
Posted By: oldbowhunter

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 01:54 PM

They will only spur a full bloomed dogwood.

In Alabama they bloom in February in most parts of the state.

I've got some late blooming saplings I will sell for a hundred bucks
each. Late bloomers are the only way you will have fresh rubs during
turkey season.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: oldbowhunter

turkey season.

Wish you were closer.
Posted By: Brent

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 02:25 PM

It's a sanctuary

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 02:27 PM

Quote:
Posted by OldBowhunter:

turkey season.

Whew, can't hide money!

rofl
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 03:06 PM

Only 2 year olds are doing the scraping and gobbling now. And we don't want him...he's just a two year old.

Dr. B
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 03:10 PM

Crap!! I forgot to read PCP's dissertation on that!! frown

What? How did I get dragged into this silly thread? All my research is scientific and Yahoo focused. I hunt turkeys for fun, and to feed my starving family.

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 03:43 PM

What, there's not an accredited course on turkeys, Clorox stumps and such at Outback University?
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 03:56 PM

turkey season.

How many trees do you have left? I will take them all.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 05:19 PM

What, there's not an accredited course on turkeys, Clorox stumps and such at Outback University?

I guess there's lots of misunderstanding about higher education in Alabama.

You see, the premier school in the state is PCP University. Outback University is a fine school too, but a totally separate entity. OU was recently accredited by PCPACS - the PCP Association of Colleges and Schools. Although faculty members of PCPU are involved with PCPACS, it is also something separate from the university.

PCPU does offer a Wildlife Management degree, but the curriculum is rigorous and students won't have time for any turkey hunting. They might be assigned to listen for turkeys and report back to the Chancellor, but they will never have a gun. Please contact us if you are interested in pursuing a degree, or doing a Yahoo research weekend. Tuition is very reasonable.

I hope this clears up the confusion.
Posted By: oldbowhunter

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: jdfarm23

turkey season.

How many trees do you have left? I will take them all.

Sorry, but I just sold out.

A guy from North Alabama bought the last 100 I had in stock.
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 06:12 PM

Not sure what out birds are doing now cause I dont want to push/bump/educate a BT or a PBT. Best advice is stay out of the woods until the opener!
Posted By: BrentM

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Yelp softly
I'm going to the next CAB meeting and ask for centerfire rifles to be legalized for turkeys. I'm tired of watching those old PBTs out in the middle of a pasture all season. We ought to make hunting as easy as possible.

Better use a good constructed bullet like a Barnes or a Partition if you're after an old PBT. Ballistic tips ain't gonna cut it especially if you hit bone

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 11:26 PM

Yep. I need something that will leave a good blood trail so I don't have to call in a tracking dog. I bet those PBTs will circle back on their trail. A hound is no match for a wounded turkey.
Posted By: AC870

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/07/17 11:38 PM

Pig Boar Tom.
I thought y'all were talking about Prime Boss Turkeys.
Posted By: bebo33

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 12:48 AM

PBT (Pure Bull Topic)
Posted By: cm1975

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 07:18 AM

Went to the property yesterday and there was a nice boar out in a pasture. He looked like a little bear cub out there at about a 1000 yards with his hens. Whild bill and I are headed to Venice this weekend to get on some butterball sow yellowfin so we're gonna miss the youth opener frown
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 07:31 AM

Originally Posted By: cm1975
Whild bill and I are headed to Venice this weekend to get on some butterball sow yellowfin so we're gonna miss the youth opener frown

Who are y'all fishing with? Went went a couple weeks ago and slayed em with VooDoo Charters. I got a thread in the fishing forum about my trip

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 07:44 AM

Mexican gulf fishing company, they have a few freeman cats. Seas have been horrible the past few weeks, but supposed to be 1 to 2 Friday. Very fortunate. I'll check out the thread

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 07:48 AM

Dayum, that looks like a hell of a trip!! Hopefully we get into em, will post pics
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 09:32 AM

Where's the best place to place the salt licks for turkey? Probably next to the dogwoods that they make their spur rubs on?

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 09:38 AM

Simple.... we don't necessarily look for dogwoods as I don't think turkeys actually rub them, lol. But on our salt licks we generally place them in an area where we can effectively roll them down a hill so as to have minimal impact on our sanctuary habitat
Posted By: BamaJEB

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 09:43 AM

Y'all been doing it all wrong.

Ya got's to lure them hungry PBT's in with a feeding call. Personally, I've been using my secret weapon fer years and will now share it with you.

I present to you, "The Cricket Call" with chrirping stick.

EDIT: Instructional video for the beginners

Posted By: Lonster

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 09:50 AM

Gobbler oaks of course!

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 10:02 AM

Funny you mention the cricket call, we've been toying with the idea for years but finally jumped on ebay and ordered a box of 10,000 crickets we will be deploying next week on a particular greenfield we have near our northwest property line. We think neighbor is crack Corning em, so if he wants a war he's gonna get one. Plus we think he's a meth addict
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 10:06 AM

Dern Bucky, thems craw daddy's look spicy! Looks like yall got some nice juvenile tunas. We told our captain we want to target PBST (Pig Boar Sow Tuna) so we may not get your numbers, but hopefully we can flirt with a state record, our main goal. We have spoken with the captain about using our ideas and going non traditional on this trip and he is willing to let us call the shots. Hopefully we can get the big bite started.
Posted By: BamaJEB

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: cm1975
Funny you mention the cricket call, we've been toying with the idea for years but finally jumped on ebay and ordered a box of 10,000 crickets we will be deploying next week on a particular greenfield we have near our northwest property line. We think neighbor is crack Corning em, so if he wants a war he's gonna get one. Plus we think he's a meth addict

That's awesome. I have joked for a while with my hunting buddy that I was going sweet talk 'em in like the Pied Piper with cricket chirps. Looking forward to hearing more about your experiment!

Re: With the season so close ... - 03/08/17 11:22 AM

BamaJ, thanks buddy we will definitely report back. Our only concern is that our neighbor, in spite of his methy ways, is actually a dern good greenfield planter. So we are worried that our crickets will hop over to his better looking fields to forage. Whildbill suggested a silt fence of some sort that's high enough that they can't hop over, but seems like a lot of work. That bastage of a neighbor had the gall to leave an empty bag of milo right about the spot that we would build the fence.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM