Aldeer.com

Double barrel turkey setup

Posted By: deepwoods44

Double barrel turkey setup - 03/05/17 08:46 AM

I've been watching the primos turkey shows and noticed will using a double barrel. It doesn't have any of the extended chokes. And clue onot what kind and how the paternew might be?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/05/17 09:54 AM

the gun is a 20ga, I saw him kill a gobbler at what looked like 40 yards the other day.

I shoot Nitro 4-5-7s in my 20 double, IC and Mod. Mod barrel shoots pretty tight to 40 yards.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/05/17 10:02 AM

Saw that too, he killed a bird at a decent distance, but he missed a bird running off. My dad has a side by side 12 gauge that may see some action when I hunt with my grandads old box call.
Posted By: NFHunter

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/05/17 10:11 AM

Back in the 80's I worked in Opelika one spring. There was a sporting goods/gun store down the street from the courthouse that I would visit from time to time. I don't remember the brand, but they carried a double barrell 12 ga. with twin 3" full choke barrels. I was young and dumb and didn't buy one.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/05/17 10:21 AM

Earth's most powerful 20 gauge sxs right here. With #9 tss it shoots 300 in the tight barrel and 200 in the open barrel.

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/05/17 11:14 AM

Rios??
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/05/17 11:19 AM

my daddy carried a hunter grade lc smith that shot 3in shells everytime he went turkey hunting. he killed ALOT of birds with that old gun

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/05/17 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
Rios??

Yea, a couple of OK birds from last season. I only intended to kill one, but I shot the front one and the other wouldn't leave and before I knew what was happening the Yildiz shot the other one by herself.

She is quite bloodthirsty.

smile
Posted By: bullet355

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/05/17 04:39 PM

How is the POA vs POI on the SXS?

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/06/17 08:40 AM

Originally Posted By: bullet355
How is the POA vs POI on the SXS?

I've tested about 10 guns and I'm yet to find one that centers both barrels with tss turkey loads. On most of them, the right barrel shoots to the right and the left barrel to the left. I have a Spanish gun that does the opposite with everything; Juan was drunk the day he put those barrels together.

I've learned how to file chokes to move the poi but that degrades the pattern. The gun in the pic has an eccentric choke in one barrel to make both shoot to the same poi.

It's essential to do some patterning before turkey hunting with a sxs. Most of them are designed to center field loads, and it's impossible to make a light gun center all loads.

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/06/17 08:45 AM

I've only patterned one sxs, my Zephyr 20 ga. Both barrels shoot to poa at 35 yards.
25" imp cyc and mod.

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/06/17 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I've only patterned one sxs, my Zephyr 20 ga. Both barrels shoot to poa at 35 yards.
25" imp cyc and mod.

But I'll bet you weren't shooting 1 and 5/8 oz tss loads? smile

I've tested several that did OK with lead loads. They just don't make them to shoot a load as heavy as many of us are using.

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/06/17 08:54 AM

I was using Nitro 4-5-7s, not tss.
Posted By: RacksnSpurs

Re: Double barrel turkey setup - 03/06/17 09:14 AM

Are you talking about story's hunting store
© 2024 ALDEER.COM