Posted By: Coday

If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:02 PM

If you where to buy a turkey gun today in 3.5 inch what would it be
Posted By: North40R

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:18 PM

Browning Maxus
Posted By: Peach

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:19 PM

I love the idea of the Browning Cynergy over and under. One choke for long shots and one for up close. Very expensive.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:19 PM

They make 20's in 3.5 now????? laugh
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:31 PM

Posted By: CKyleC

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag

I really like the idea of a 20ga with TSS, but I just can't justify buying a new reloading set up
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:33 PM

Kyle it doesnt take a lot to start loading TSS.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: CKyleC

I really like the idea of a 20ga with TSS, but I just can't justify buying a new reloading set up

Very little needed to load TSS. You'll be money ahead by going with a 20 and TSS.
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:43 PM

Beretta a400. One of the best patterns I've seen with shells that aren't tss
Posted By: Coday

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:44 PM

I was looking at beretta xtreme 2 anyone how one
Posted By: Atoler

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:52 PM

For a dedicated turkey gun? Either a browning cynergy or cheap out with an 835 and out pattern all of them.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: CKyleC

About $350 is what I spent initially to get shot, components, and a roll crimp bit. There really isn't a whole lot to loading TSS. I was too intimidated to try it for a couple of years because I hadn't ever done any hand loading of any sort. Once I loaded the first shells and patterned them I wondered what the hell I had been waiting on.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 09:55 PM

To answer the OP, if I was buying a 12 gauge for turkeys it would be an SXP or Maxxus
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Lonster
You'll be money ahead by going with a 20 and TSS.

Money ahead compared to what? Compared to factory 12ga loads?

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/22/17 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
For a dedicated turkey gun? Either a browning cynergy or cheap out with an 835 and out pattern all of them.

Ride out here one weekend and I can show you differently lol
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 01:06 AM

Love my mossberg 935. Only wish it was camo instead of black.
Posted By: BC_Reb

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 01:18 AM

I've killed a couple of birds with my cynergy, but I prefer my 1187 SP for turkey hunting. IMO it points better from a sitting position. I have the comb on my cynergy set as low as I can and it still feels like I'm fighting to get down on the gun while sitting.

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Yelp softly

My statement was based on the fact that:

1. Either of my 20 gauges with TSS will outshoot my 12 gauges with ANY factory load any day of the week;

2. I now have the following 12 gauge turkey guns that I will never use again:
BENELLI SBEII 3.5"
Beretta A400 Extreme 3.5"
Browning A5
Remington 870 Supermag 3.5"
Browning BPS 3.5"

I would have saved myself thousands of dollars in my quest for the perfect turkey gun.

Lonster
Posted By: n2deer

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 06:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Yelp softly

My statement was based on the fact that:

1. Either of my 20 gauges with TSS will outshoot my 12 gauges with ANY factory load any day of the week;

BENELLI SBEII 3.5"
Browning A5
Browning BPS 3.5"

I would have saved myself thousands of dollars in my quest for the perfect turkey gun.

Lonster

You say it like your never buying another turkey gun.
Posted By: Peach

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 07:38 AM

Originally Posted By: BC_Reb
I've killed a couple of birds with my cynergy, but I prefer my 1187 SP for turkey hunting. IMO it points better from a sitting position. I have the comb on my cynergy set as low as I can and it still feels like I'm fighting to get down on the gun while sitting.

Ive heard great things about the 1187 SP. Been thinking about getting one.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 08:24 AM

It took a little getting use to the Cynergy because of the center of mass being further forward. It takes a little more effort to keep the muzzle up while waiting for one to come in. I imagine it would be this way on other double barrels as well. Not bad, just a little bit of a different feel.

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 08:39 AM

Originally Posted By: n2deer

You say it like your never buying another turkey gun.

I must admit that I recently purchased a Franchi 48AL 28 gauge that I'll be hunting with this year AND I'm eyie-balling a new Beretta 28 gauge.

Lonster
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 09:52 AM

If I was buying a dedicated turkey gun and was hell-bent on shooting 3.5", I'd get an 11-87 Shurshot Turkey gun. At least being a gas semi-auto it would kinda help dampen the recoil a little. I've shot one a few times and love the shurshot stock on them. It fit me like a glove.

EDIT: actually, even if I wasn't hell-bent on shooting 3.5's, if I ever do buy a dedicated turkey gun, that's still what it'd be. I just really like these guns.

Posted By: XVIII

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 10:20 AM

BENELLI SBEII 3.5"
Browning A5
Browning BPS 3.5"

Lonster

you're not shooting the right factory loads...15g/cc in Fed HWs vs. 17.8g/cc TSS ain't that much difference.

feel free to pm me or post ALL the 12 gauges listed...I'd be interested in all of them.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 10:23 AM

I'd buy a Benelli M-2 20 ga and never look at any 12 ga again. Lighter weight, faster pointing , and kills just as deadly and as far.
Posted By: BC_Reb

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Turkey
It took a little getting use to the Cynergy because of the center of mass being further forward. It takes a little more effort to keep the muzzle up while waiting for one to come in. I imagine it would be this way on other double barrels as well. Not bad, just a little bit of a different feel.

That's what I meant. There's nothing at all wrong with the gun. It's all I shoot for skeet/trap, dove, or ducks. I need to put some rifle sights or a venom on it, I'm sure that would make that much better. Do you have a sling on yours? I've taken it to 2 different shops that wouldn't tap it because of the butt stock's angle.
Posted By: Tailwalk7

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 11:10 AM

M2 20

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 12:33 PM

If money was no issue, it would be a M2 20 gauge Turkey Special.

http://www.benelliusa.com/performance-shop/performance-shop-m2-turkey
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Peach
Originally Posted By: BC_Reb

Ive heard great things about the 1187 SP. Been thinking about getting one.

11-87 SPS-T for me. A turkey killing machine. My buddy sold his and bought a Benelli SBE and regrets selling the 11-87
Posted By: Geeb

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 03:57 PM

I would take that $3,399 for a 12 gauge and buy an 11-87 and spend the other $2,899 on an acre of turkey land.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark8907

Alright, put a case of beer on it?

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark8907

Alright, put a case of beer on it?

Yea we can put a case of beer on it. No tss or any of that crap though...lol. any the case for you will be old milwaukee...I'll take michelob ultra...lol

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Geeb

I would take that $3,399 for a 12 gauge and buy an 11-87 and spend the other $2,899 on an acre of turkey land.

But, if money was no issue, you'd already own your turkey land. smile
Posted By: Frankie

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Geeb

hell , i'd just buy a old used 40$ single shot and buy a box of lead shells and just call the turkeys to 30 yards and kill hell out of them . geeeeeeee weeeeeeeeezzzzzzz

i killed over 40 birds with a old T916 S&W , paid less that a 100$ for it back in 75 useing #6 lead shot. then i bought a bps 10ga after i got it and killed a boat load of more birds i find myself asking , why did i buy it . rofl
Posted By: lectrode

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/23/17 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I'd buy a Benelli M-2 20 ga and never look at any 12 ga again. Lighter weight, faster pointing , and kills just as deadly and as far.
Love my M2 !!!!
Posted By: SkinnertonOutlaw

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/24/17 05:54 PM

Got my new turkey gun Tuesday, decided it was time to replace my old xtrema2 with a new xtreme a400, just use the old xtrema2 strictly for waterfowl from now on.

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/24/17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: SkinnertonOutlaw
Got my new turkey gun Tuesday, decided it was time to replace my old xtrema2 with a new xtreme a400, just use the old xtrema2 strictly for waterfowl from now on.

Get ya a sumtoy .665. It's deadly!!!

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/24/17 07:15 PM

You serious Clark, rofl
I been shopping for chokes so I definitely appreciate the info. Was thinking about a Carlson long beard xr choke since that what shoot. Also looking at jebs, imma check out those now.
Posted By: BC

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/24/17 07:18 PM

I love the idea of the Browning Cynergy over and under. One choke for long shots and one for up close. Very expensive.

Like this one? grin

Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/24/17 07:33 PM

She is Mighty purty BC.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/24/17 07:53 PM

........it would most likely have a barrel on top of another barrel like my other two do. TSS and OU turkey guns go together like peas and carrots.
Posted By: Fosko

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/25/17 08:48 AM

You serious Clark, rofl
I been shopping for chokes so I definitely appreciate the info. Was thinking about a Carlson long beard xr choke since that what shoot. Also looking at jebs, imma check out those now.
I put a Carlson LB XR on my 535 the other day. Its a nasty joker. Had 100 pellets in a 7 inch circle @ 40 yards w/ 3 inch LB XR #5's.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/25/17 05:17 PM

I'm old school and just don't care for the 3.5" shells. Never shot a turkey over 30 yards. Killed everyone of them graveyard dead with a Belgium Browning A5 automatic 12 ga in 3" magnum. Best pointing gun on planet earth. The new version is not anything like the old A5's.

This one was handed down to my son a couple of years ago and he loves this turkey killing machine also. Supposed to go to his son also one day.

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/25/17 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Fosko
You serious Clark, rofl
I put a Carlson LB XR on my 535 the other day. Its a nasty joker. Had 100 pellets in a 7 inch circle @ 40 yards w/ 3 inch LB XR #5's.

Dk bout that but I know the patterns I got out of the sumtoy was incredible

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/26/17 08:48 AM

I've got the Carlson ordered off eBay and gonna call sumtoy tomorrow and see about getting one shipped out. If neither of those work out imma give Jebs a shot.

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/26/17 09:17 AM

The sumtoy will work. I'm sure they will all do fine though.

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/26/17 01:30 PM

I'm sure they will, I was shocked at how the factory full patterned. That's probably all I really need, I like to kill em about 10 to 20 steps haha, I guess I just like the option of being able to pick one off at 40 or 50 steps

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/26/17 01:38 PM

At 10-20 the sumtoy is pretty dang tight. Get ready to behead them...lol

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/26/17 01:52 PM

haha I bet! There is really no pattern at that distance with my extrema2 with the jelly head choke, just a hole
Posted By: 308TriggerTrophy

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 02/28/17 07:59 PM

It's all about personal preference in my opinion. #1 is will it shoot to please. #2 is the feel of the gun. If you are willing to take the time and money you can find a choke/shot combination that will suffice. But the feel of the gun is what it is unless you pay for major stock changes. So why not get the good feeler to start with. Rem., Ben., Fran., are the best feeling FOR ME with standard stock. I personally shoot a Stoeger 3500 with a steady grip stock. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 03/02/17 01:34 PM

love that old style bottomland. I've got a 20 ga I'm gonna try to get dipped in that pattern
Posted By: icducks

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 03/02/17 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: BC

Like this one? grin

I want this !!!!
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 03/03/17 06:40 AM

I decided to go with this one

Posted By: Colt1917

Re: If you where to buy a turkey gun - 03/03/17 08:25 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred

^^^This!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM