Aldeer.com

I'm stocked up

Posted By: YEKRUT

I'm stocked up - 01/22/17 07:29 PM

Just ordered enough hulls and wads to last me a few years. 200 - 12 ga hulls, 200 - 20 ga hulls, and 200 - 12 gauge wads. All of you procrastinators out there don't wait until the week before season to order what you need because they will be sold out of something.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/22/17 08:06 PM

Went through mine this afternoon. Ordered felt. Lol
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/22/17 08:06 PM

That's a fact. Just an FYI for yall looking for VP wads, Tommy over on GN has some coming that he will be selling. They're no longer available anywhere else

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/22/17 08:18 PM

I ordered some VP wads a couple weeks ago and have them already. A member off of here sent me a few hundred as well. If someone needs some I could spare some if I had to.
Posted By: 01Foreman400

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/22/17 08:33 PM

Sounds like a good start. thumbup
Posted By: North40R

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/22/17 10:42 PM

That's a lot of dead gobblers!....
Posted By: buckbrush

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/22/17 11:48 PM

Yekrut I just got my stuff in yesterday. I think I'm good for 20yrs. Only problem is a new load will come out that I wanna try and I will buy a all new setup. smile
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 01:13 AM

Speakin of stocked up, should I go ahead and buy an Indian creek choke now as well as turkey shells (don't have a loader or anything for tss) or wait till they start putting it out for turkey season? Not tryn to hijack thread, just wondering if I should wait for a deal and risk it being sold out etc...
Posted By: n2deer

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 01:51 AM

Dang you put it off long enough
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 09:16 AM

What are Tss 9s going for this year? I still have enough for this year, but may start stocking up for next year.
Posted By: 202P&Y

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 09:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Gobble4me757
Speakin of stocked up, should I go ahead and buy an Indian creek choke now as well as turkey shells (don't have a loader or anything for tss) or wait till they start putting it out for turkey season? Not tryn to hijack thread, just wondering if I should wait for a deal and risk it being sold out etc...

What gun you chokin and for what load?

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: n2deer
Dang you put it off long enough

Ha! yeah got a lil busy and time flew by...

Originally Posted By: 202P&Y
What gun you chokin and for what load?

870 12 ga and thinkn bout heavy #6s
Posted By: blumsden

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 10:28 AM

Question. Why are there no shell manufacturer's offering the TSS loads?
Posted By: msu33

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 10:57 AM

Ive got enough components for 20ga to last a while, but what is a good wad to replace the VP with when the time comes and they are no longer available?
Posted By: Remington270

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden

I have no clue. They could charge $15/shell.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 12:17 PM

This question is asked every year and no one knows definitively why. Here's my best guess based on what I think I know. Years ago I bought a Comp-N-Choke for my Benelli M1. After not getting the results I had hoped for during patterning, I called them and spoke to the owner Charlie Boswell. In that conversation I asked about some of the heavier than lead loads. He basically told me that he couldn't legally recommend it. If I recall correctly it was due to the shot being a stronger alloy than the choke. I am not a physics expert but when two metals contact each other enough, the weaker metal will eventually give. When the barrel is made of softer metal than the shot being used, one has to wonder how many times it can safely be fired until a material failure occurs.

My guess is that corporate lawyers have told the shotshell manufacturers that if an accident ever happens and they are sued, they are probably 99% sure to lose the lawsuit. One lawsuit could wipe out 20 years worth of profits. It doesn't make sense to offer it from that standpoint.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 12:41 PM

Yelp, thanks for that explanation. It makes sense to me.
Posted By: Rockhound

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 01:13 PM

I ordered enough last year to load 300 shells. I'm good
Posted By: 3toe

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Yelp softly

This question is asked every year and no one knows definitively why. Here's my best guess based on what I think I know. Years ago I bought a Comp-N-Choke for my Benelli M1. After not getting the results I had hoped for during patterning, I called them and spoke to the owner Charlie Boswell. In that conversation I asked about some of the heavier than lead loads. He basically told me that he couldn't legally recommend it. If I recall correctly it was due to the shot being a stronger alloy than the choke. I am not a physics expert but when two metals contact each other enough, the weaker metal will eventually give. When the barrel is made of softer metal than the shot being used, one has to wonder how many times it can safely be fired until a material failure occurs.

My guess is that corporate lawyers have told the shotshell manufacturers that if an accident ever happens and they are sued, they are probably 99% sure to lose the lawsuit. One lawsuit could wipe out 20 years worth of profits. It doesn't make sense to offer it from that standpoint.

I've also always thought that tungsten is a traded commodity and price fluctuations would make it hard to price it and stay competitive. No backing to that, just my thought.

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Rockhound

I plan on living longer than you apparently laugh
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 04:57 PM

I believe the main reason is that the big companies don't believe they can make a profit from it. They would have to charge a high price and don't believe the market for them is big enough.

I'm surprised one of the smaller companies hasn't given it a try. One might try it eventually.

YS may be right about the liability issue being part of it, but if it is, I think it's based on perception instead of science. Federal already makes a 15g/cc shell, so the jump to 18 isn't that great as far as safety. The only real danger is that it can scratch your barrel, but proper wads make that unlikely. A tss load is no more likely to blow up in your face than a lead load. At least, that's the way I understand it. There are thousands of people shooting tss now, and I've never heard of an accident that had anything to do with its density or hardness. I could be wrong.

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: YEKRUT

Or missing a lil more...lol

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 08:02 PM

I don't even mention that word, ain't in my vocabulary. You should hit your knees right now and ask for forgiveness.
Posted By: Rockhound

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 09:00 PM

I don't even mention that word, ain't in my vocabulary. You should hit your knees right now and ask for forgiveness.

I still had about 70 left over from the previouss 2 years lol I'll probably order some more eventually to load some coyotes loads

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 09:09 PM

We're not worthy...not worthy (tried to paste the Wayne's world gif to no avail ha)

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 09:28 PM

Hevi-shot, steel and Heavy Weights all will mess a barrel up if not loaded properly. I think the biggest reason for no one loading TSS commercially is because of the price.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: 01Foreman400

Hevi-shot, steel and Heavy Weights all will mess a barrel up if not loaded properly. I think the biggest reason for no one loading TSS commercially is because of the price.

X2

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 09:39 PM

I've been stocking up for several years now on components. You never know when they might stop making something like the VP90 wads. This was my first order 3 years ago. Been a lot more since then.

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: 01Foreman400
I've been stocking up for several years now on components. You never know when they might stop making something like the VP90 wads. This was my first order 3 years ago. Been a lot more since then.

I was about to say I remember my first order lol.

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/23/17 10:02 PM

You planning on dove hunting with tss? Lol
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/24/17 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

I believe the main reason is that the big companies don't believe they can make a profit from it. They would have to charge a high price and don't believe the market for them is big enough.

I'm surprised one of the smaller companies hasn't given it a try. One might try it eventually.

YS may be right about the liability issue being part of it, but if it is, I think it's based on perception instead of science. Federal already makes a 15g/cc shell, so the jump to 18 isn't that great as far as safety. The only real danger is that it can scratch your barrel, but proper wads make that unlikely. A tss load is no more likely to blow up in your face than a lead load. At least, that's the way I understand it. There are thousands of people shooting tss now, and I've never heard of an accident that had anything to do with its density or hardness. I could be wrong.

PCP, just to clarify, the numbers you posted 15g/cc and 18g/cc are density measurements. Those numbers have no bearing on the strength of the alloy. For instance, lead is a very dense metal, but you'd never use it for building because its soft, not strong. I have never seen a hardness measurement on any of the alloys used in heavyweight shot. Will the Federal Heavyweight shot score a barrel? I have no idea. It might. I don't know what its Rockwell hardness is. I just know that I've read that the TSS is a very hard alloy.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/24/17 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

PCP, just to clarify, the numbers you posted 15g/cc and 18g/cc are density measurements. Those numbers have no bearing on the strength of the alloy. For instance, lead is a very dense metal, but you'd never use it for building because its soft, not strong. I have never seen a hardness measurement on any of the alloys used in heavyweight shot. Will the Federal Heavyweight shot score a barrel? I have no idea. It might. I don't know what its Rockwell hardness is. I just know that I've read that the TSS is a very hard alloy.
I am no expert by any means and I could be wrong, but with a Mylar wrap and the correct wads I just don't see how the shot could touch the barrel. Now with wad stripper chokes I could see maybe possibly the choke contacting some errant shot. Maybe Hal has some insight, I could imagine he's shot more TSS than most of us ever will.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/25/17 10:28 AM

YS, you are right, and I shouldn't have worded that the way I did, and I might be making a false assumption. I do know that when hevishot first came out there was a lot of concern that it was harder than lead and was gonna scratch barrels. One choke manufacturer warned not to use it in his chokes. 15 years later, I never hear it mentioned. Hevishot is only about 12g/cc.

Kyle Smith warned that tss was even harder and had all sorts of disclaimers on his site that he was not responsible for a scratched barrel. I have heard people say they have seen scratched chokes, but never heard of a barrel being scratched. For me to assume that the 15g shot Federal uses is in between the hardness of hevishot and tss might indeed be wrong, and thanks for pointing it out. Maybe Hal will read the thread and tell us.

But I still don't think a properly tested tss load is any more dangerous to the user than a lead load. Again, I could be wrong.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/25/17 01:37 PM

I have seen a few scratches in my chokes. But I do also in anything I shot hevi in much.
Posted By: hawglips

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/25/17 03:08 PM

TSS is a bit harder than the 15g/cc I've done the pliers test on.

grin

But it can vary some, and not sure there is any sort of official hardness scale for it.

Re: I'm stocked up - 01/26/17 04:05 AM

N2deer I bet our Mets could do a hardness scale.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM