Posted By: NFHunter

one lived - 05/14/16 05:44 AM

And he's hammering this morning.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: one lived - 05/14/16 07:05 AM

Where's he at so I can just go listen?

Re: one lived - 05/14/16 07:15 AM

Just walked back out and he's still gobbling.
Posted By: 202P&Y

Re: one lived - 05/14/16 09:25 AM

Buddy of mine had 2 hammering Thursday am down on Alabama river while he was fishing
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: one lived - 05/14/16 09:30 AM

Bet these cool Temps this morn have em tearing it up.

Re: one lived - 05/15/16 06:12 AM

Slept in today, walked out a little after 6 - he's rattling off to everything and nothing. I reckon all the hens are finally nesting. He had two on the last day of the season.
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: one lived - 05/15/16 09:07 AM

Do you have a bow?

Re: one lived - 05/22/16 05:51 AM

And he's hammering again today

Re: one lived - 05/23/16 05:48 AM

And there he goes again. How many days til season opens?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: one lived - 05/23/16 07:47 AM

It's closed????
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: one lived - 05/23/16 08:46 AM

I heard one sat morning by the house.

Re: one lived - 05/26/16 05:19 AM

And again
Posted By: hootn

Re: one lived - 05/26/16 10:20 AM

You need to tell him this isn't Nebraska or out west somewhere.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: one lived - 05/26/16 12:45 PM

Yesterday, i had to go to our company landfill to figure a job. There he was in full strut, gobbling his head off, no hen in sight. Stayed in full strut for over an hour, gobbling every couple of minutes.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: one lived - 05/26/16 01:17 PM

Those birds on the Fort are still blowed up every morning with hens.

Re: one lived - 05/28/16 06:11 AM

May 28, he's still gobbling. My wife said he was tearing it up yesterday midmorning. He didn't gobble on the roost yesterday. And I guess I've somewhat misrepresented these posts, cause some mornings there's two birds gobbling. I just hearing one today.

Re: one lived - 05/30/16 09:03 AM

He has been silent two mornings in a row now. Or roosted somewhere I can't hear him. Hasn't been in the neighbor's pasture either, so maybe he ranged out of hearing. Long live the boss bird!Til next year...

Re: one lived - 05/31/16 06:55 AM

And he's back in the pasture strutting with 6 or 7 other birds.

Re: one lived - 06/01/16 05:40 AM

June 1 and he's gobbling. Wonder how long this will go on?
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: one lived - 06/01/16 08:05 AM

Until March 15th, then you wont hear him again.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: one lived - 06/01/16 10:49 AM

I once heard one gobble over 100 times in July. I've heard a turkey every month of the year. I didn't think i would ever get August, but I was fishing on Lay Lake one hot August afternoon and a storm kicked up. There was a loud clap of thunder and one hammered away at it.

Turkeys can't read the books about them; they do whatever they wanta do.
Posted By: blade

Re: one lived - 06/01/16 11:30 AM

PCP, never heard one in July, August or September, I have all other months and it certainly doesn't surprise me.
Posted By: HOWTON21

Re: one lived - 06/01/16 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Turkeys can't read the books about them; they do whatever they wanta do.

This says it all.

Re: one lived - 06/01/16 03:57 PM

I'm certainly enjoying it. Love hearing a bird gobble

Re: one lived - 06/03/16 05:29 AM

June 3, and there he goes again
Posted By: blumsden

Re: one lived - 06/03/16 06:56 AM

Your going to wear yourself out before next season.
Posted By: James

Re: one lived - 06/05/16 12:08 AM

cool
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: one lived - 06/05/16 09:33 AM

He's mocking you.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: one lived - 06/05/16 12:34 PM

Ifn I would have ever got my appointment as the Turkey Czar I would grant you an Indulgence to go shoot him. You are definitely being mocked and no turkey should get away with that. You have a real dilemma here. If you let a turkey get away with mocking you, it could turn into a jinx for next season. But no GW will understand, so you probably have a no win situation. I'm so sorry.

Re: one lived - 06/05/16 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: blumsden

he needs to carry some more shells next year.....

Re: one lived - 06/11/16 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By: hootn
Originally Posted By: blumsden

he needs to carry some more shells next year.....

Yeah, I need to tell that story, if I can figure out how to post a pic.

After hearing nothing since Monday, he's in my driveway gobbling st crows this morning. He is definitely mocking me and came to gobble in my face.

Re: one lived - 06/12/16 09:11 AM

I will let you tell it. But I will say this about.
I was about half mile from him, heard the first shot. Then nothing. I texted him and said yep he's down. Then another shot. Get text, he down. Ok I replied see you at camp. I headed towards truck, went about 30 yards then another shot. Text, is he dead yet? Text didn't go thru. When I got to truck, he said he is a heavy bird. I asked if he had any shells left he said 1.
Bustinbeards was down there also don't remember if he heard the shots from where he was on the road. I was up on a hill.

Re: one lived - 06/12/16 03:39 PM

Well, go ahead and throw a pic up. Pretty good for a public land bird. I hate he was wet and didn't take a great pic.

Re: one lived - 06/13/16 05:49 AM

Ok, the blog continues. June 13. This morning a hen is raising cane across the creek from the house. She's got a tom way off gobbling. Will he come to her or will she go to him? Or neither?
I've got to get to work so I may never know.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: one lived - 06/13/16 09:39 AM

Dang it you're gonna make me get up at 3:30 one morning and go listen for a turkey to gobble if you don't quit this
Posted By: Remington270

Re: one lived - 06/13/16 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: BrentM
Dang it you're gonna make me get up at 3:30 one morning and go listen for a turkey to gobble if you don't quit this

So true.

Re: one lived - 06/14/16 06:51 AM

June 14. Hot humid cloudy at the house. Nasty feeling. He was roosted this morning where the hen was yesterday, and he gobbled 9 or 10 tines on the roost, and more after he hit the ground. As I left for work I ran two hens off the driveway that were headed in his general direction. Then saw a tom and a hen feeding un the pasture.

Re: one lived - 06/14/16 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: BrentM

Until now I've never lived outside of town and in a place where I could regularly see (and hear) wildlife. Every morning I'm like a kid on Christmas, listening for a bird to sound off. I went about 5 days last week without hearing anything and I thought he was finally through, but he was either roosting off somewhere I couldn't hear him or he's just firing back up again. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't have been going to my hunting spot and listening some since the season went out

Posted By: crenshawco

Re: one lived - 06/14/16 07:48 AM

Sounds like you've had quite a few hens with failed nests on their first attempts

Re: one lived - 06/14/16 11:35 AM

Yes, it appears so. Recruitment rate appears low.

Re: one lived - 06/15/16 05:30 AM

June 15 and there he goes again. Seems like I remember reading one time that they will breed until they moult. Course, I don't think he's getting any breeding done, just making a lot of noise.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: one lived - 06/15/16 12:49 PM

I have yet to see a poult with a hen. Really stinks.

Re: one lived - 06/17/16 05:54 AM

June 17. The last couple of mornings have involved the hospital and momma. This morning I stepped out on the porch to pray and watch the sunrise. I told the Lord it would be refreshing to hear that old gobbler one more time. He didn't gobble on the roost, and I thought, Oh well. But now that he hit the ground he won't shut up. A refreshing song of praise to the Creator and what a wonderful song it is. Ya'll be praying for my mother. We're transitioning to assisted living. Hopefully she'll recover and thrive, but honestly all she talks about are Jesus, Jim (Dad), and Jimmy (brother that died as infant). Thanks for letting me ok just talk a little.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: one lived - 06/17/16 07:02 AM

That's awesome. Prayers sent
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: one lived - 06/18/16 10:18 PM

Prayers for comfort sent buddy. I've been watching this thread just to see how long he would consistently gobble. I've enjoyed it. I hope your mom is blessed with many more years if that's what she wants.

Re: one lived - 06/19/16 06:22 AM

Spent Friday night with momma so I couldn't listen yesterday. This morning I got to hear hen tree talk but no toms so far. Friday morning when I left for work he was in pasture with another tom and a hen. All feeding. Nobody blown up.
Thanks for the prayers!

Re: one lived - 06/19/16 07:50 AM

One finally gobbled about 6:40 out in the pasture. Not much

Re: one lived - 06/21/16 05:36 AM

Yesterday (6/20) he gobbled a few times on the ground before I left at 6. Beautiful morning today.

Re: one lived - 06/27/16 03:05 PM

Well, here I sit in the dentist office, so I may as well post it - I haven't heard him in a solid week. Life has been happening and I haven't been able to get out on the porch like I had been, but I got the feeling he's finally done. I did get up early today but it was so humid out after yesterday's rain that I just stayed inside. My hair was starting to curl outside.

Re: one lived - 06/27/16 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: NFHunter
Well, here I sit in the dentist office, so I may as well post it - I haven't heard him in a solid week. Life has been happening and I haven't been able to get out on the porch like I had been, but I got the feeling he's finally done. I did get up early today but it was so humid out after yesterday's rain that I just stayed inside. My hair was starting to curl outside.

WHAT HAIR
© 2024 ALDEER.COM