Aldeer.com

Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!!

Posted By: cgardner

Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 12:25 PM

Initially set up on a pasture where Dad had seen 4 long beards yesterday morning, and had no luck. I put out 2 hen decoys and Killer B. The wind picked up at daylight and heard nothing. We would yelp every now and then and still nothing. About an hour after daylight we had almost had enough. We were about to leave when 3 geese flew over and honked. He answered them from a hill top across the pasture. We both cut behind him and he double gobbled at us. We knew it would be a matter of time before he showed up in the pasture. We would check him about every 5 minutes to track his progress. Every time he would answer a little closer down the hill towards us. I then look up to see him coming out of the pines into the pasture. He gets one look at Killer B with the hens and blows up and double gobbles. At this point he is at 75 yards. He stays there strutting for probably 10 minutes. I then grab the string attached to Killer B and pull it softly. This causes Killer B to spin about 90 degrees. He sees this and his head turns bright red and he turns right for us. He then stops and hangs up again strutting. He stays there about another 10 minutes. I try the string pull again, but this time he doesn't like it. He turns and acts like he is leaving. I told Dad to shoot and he rolled him. I ranged the flopping bird at 59 yards!! His bird was 18.5 pounds with a 9.5 inch beard and 1 5/16 inch spurs.

We gather our stuff and head towards the other side of the property. We ease up to a clearcut and yelp. One immediately cuts me off!! I get down and belly crawl to a tree close to the edge of the clearcut. I can see him on a hill 120 yards out strutting. Well, we go back and forth with him for about 30 minutes, then he goes quiet. After about 15 minutes of nothing, he gobbles on his own and he is about 60 yards to our 2:00. I then catch a glimse of him coming up out of the bottom at 40 yards. My Dad s between me and him, but Dad's gun is in his lap!! The bird circles around us to the road we walked in on. When he goes behind a big blow down, I make a quick spin around the tree where I can shoot down the road. About 15 seconds later I see his fan. He then steps into the clear and I shoot. I jump up to see him staggering down the road, so I cranked another round into him at 40 yards. Come to find out, I severed a 1" sweet gum at 10 yards that deflected most of my shot. That's why I don't use a single shot!! grin He was a nice 2 year old that weighed 18.5 pounds with 3/4 inch spurs and a 10 inch beard. I'll take those all day long!!

Well, while working bird #2, we had two more that got fired up and came a LONG WAYS to within 250 yards of where #2 just died. Like after #1, we packed up and headed to them. We got to where we thought they might be and I cut at them. GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE...RIGHT ON CUE. They were in a bottom no more than 100 yards from us. We got down quick and went to work. We got them to gobble one more time then they went quiet. I told Dad, they're coming. About that time I hear PPPFFFFFTTT DDDDDOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!! They're Close. Then Dad says, "There he is, I have no shot". I lookup to see him at no more than 20 yards looking for us. Dad then said "He's coming to your side, Kill Him!" Then BOOM, I went. This dude was a hoss!! 21 Pounds 2 ounces, 10 1/4 Inch Beard and 1 1/2 Inch Spurs!!

Here's a pic of all 3 of them thrown across my grandfather's tractor disc.

Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 12:26 PM

That's awesome, congrats

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 12:26 PM

Here's the 1.5 inch Spurs from mine.
Posted By: Morris

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 12:41 PM

Congrats
Posted By: HOWTON21

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 12:46 PM

Outstanding morning. Congrats.
Posted By: RSF

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 12:50 PM

Great hunt...Congrats !
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 12:53 PM

beers Nice!!
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:13 PM

That's a hell of a morning.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:14 PM

Man that's awesome, congrats
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:18 PM

You are one lucky man to have a father that hunts with you!
Posted By: Blong

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:25 PM

Hell of a property!
Posted By: mikewhandley

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:36 PM

Congrats
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:38 PM

Awesome story and pics!
On another note, when you said his head turned red the first time you moved the decoy, he probably didn't like it much that time either. When their head turns white is when they are excited/angry. I've always thought when his head turned back to red that he was either frightened or submissive. Just a thought.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck
That's a hell of a morning.

X2
Posted By: jellyhead11

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:49 PM

Congrats to you both thumbup
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:52 PM

That picture is worth framing. thumbup

Congrats on the memory with your dad.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:52 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:54 PM

1). Les thinks you killed too many.
2). That doesn't look like a disc.
3). Hell of a hunt, congrats.
Posted By: albowhntr

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 01:57 PM

Congratulations. Heck of a morning!
Posted By: 202P&Y

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 02:05 PM

Awesome! Great pic too. Cherish that, wish my dad was still around to hunt with me
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 02:08 PM

What an awesome morning! Congrats
Posted By: gobblinfever

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 02:39 PM

Congrats
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 02:43 PM

Good night what some carnage! Freakin awesome teammate! Congrats!!!!
Posted By: AU_trout_bum

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 03:10 PM

Well, what a morning. It'd be hard to top that one. Congrats!
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 03:33 PM

Congrats to you both on a fine morning!! thumbup beers

BrentM is spot on with his opinion in regards to the gobblers head color. When it is white he's aggressive or angry. The more white his head is the better your chances are of him coming into the decoy.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 03:59 PM

Awesome! Congrats.

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Squeaky
Congrats to you both on a fine morning!! thumbup beers

BrentM is spot on with his opinion in regards to the gobblers head color. When it is white he's aggressive or angry. The more white his head is the better your chances are of him coming into the decoy.

I said the head turned red, but it was more his waddles that turned red. The more I think about it, the more I think he may have seen me working the decoy. Anyway, he's dead!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 04:55 PM

great morning and sounds like a great father and son moment youll always remember. Congrat!
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 06:38 PM

Congrats man. I hunted ga last week for 4 days and killed two. Them sumtoy chokes aint no joke btw...killed one bird at 67
Posted By: t123winters

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 06:52 PM

congrats to you and your dad,days like this will stay with you forever.great picture.....timeless,you should frame that one!
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 07:00 PM

thumbup
Posted By: Tambo252

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 07:24 PM

Incredible hunt - congratulations!
Posted By: North40R

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 07:42 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 08:00 PM

Congrats! That's a great memory.
Posted By: James

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/16/15 10:09 PM

beers Nice...

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/17/15 07:37 AM

Originally Posted By: t123winters
congrats to you and your dad,days like this will stay with you forever.great picture.....timeless,you should frame that one!

I have framed pictures of every double we have ever taken. I think we're up to 4 doubles and two triples.

Check that, this was triple # 3.
Posted By: EarlPitts

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/17/15 09:10 AM

Congrats. Thanks for telling the story
Posted By: Fate_Meet_Slate

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/17/15 04:42 PM

Congrats! That's an awesome picture.
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: Tripled In GA With Dad This Morning!! - 04/17/15 05:09 PM

COngrats on three nice Toms!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM