Aldeer.com

what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm?

Posted By: GomerPyle

what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/06/15 05:56 PM

I'm not talking about a light shower but thunder, lighting, wind, rain....

Do they go back to their roost, roost wherever they are when the storm kicks up, or just stay on the ground and go about their business like nothing is happening?
Posted By: t123winters

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/06/15 06:14 PM

Heck if I know,I am usually at the house in those conditions!
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/06/15 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: t123winters
Heck if I know,I am usually at the house in those conditions!

I went to the house when the weather kicked up today, just because I thought I was wasting my time if I stayed. But if I thought I could kill a turkey in the middle of a bad thunderstorm I wouldn't think twice about it
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/06/15 06:21 PM

I killed a turkey in a thunderstorm with them gobbling and strutting all the way to me. It rain so hard at one point that at 50 yards I could barely hear the bird gobble. I had to turn my gun sideways before I shot to pour the water off the vent rib of the barrel. I don't hunt in that stuff anymore, though.
Posted By: Haybale

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/06/15 06:21 PM

I got caught up in one that popped up quick a few years back. Some of the hardest gobbling I've heard. Got soaked and didn't kill him (did the next day) but it was awesome hearing all them birds gobblin at thunder.
Posted By: Surefire1911

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/06/15 06:49 PM

Last year I got set up in the pouring down raing before daylight bc I had a few roosted the evening before. Every period that it slacked off the birds would gobble. They didn't fly down until rain stopped but when they did one gobbler ran right in front of me. I yelped and he stoped for a second,I shot and missed. After sitting in the flooding rain for 3 hours, frustrated dosnt begin to describe how felt after I missed .
Posted By: BC

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/06/15 07:34 PM

They do what turkeys do.... They walk around eating, pooping, and trying to breed any hen that will give it up.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/06/15 07:37 PM

I tried the get out of the truck with 5 min of rain left to come ( which never ever works out to be only 5 min.....) this afternoon. It was raining as hard as it possibly could as I rounded the corner to the field and a hen was standing right in the middle of the field with her head down thankfully and I stepped out of the road and stood there watching her acting like it was 70 and sun shinning. She just wandered around eating and eventually worked out of the field off down in a big hollow.
Posted By: buzzard

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/06/15 07:50 PM

Some of the best gobbling I have ever heard was before a thunder storm
During it, they get wet wink
Posted By: EarlPitts

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/06/15 09:17 PM

They look up into the sky and drown
Dumb birds they are.
Posted By: YAPER

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/06/15 09:52 PM

Usually you'll find them in fields. They rely on hearing and sight to survive, so one is taken away they use the other. They get in fields so they'll see danger coming from a long way off. And yes I've had some good hunts in the rain. Last year I have a place about 15 min from my house. It rained until about 5:00 that aftwrnoon. I had all my stuff ready to go so i headed to the club. Pulled up right as it stopped raining. Headed to a pasture I knew the birds would be in, and sure enough they were. Didn't take too long from there to bring him home. I don't hunt in the rain that much anymore, but I'll be watching the radar and as soon as it clears I'll be after them.
Posted By: Clem

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/07/15 10:00 AM

As long as it's not lightning I'll try to be out in it because they will be, too, and on or near a pasture or opening where they can dry out, sun, fluff feathers, etc.
Posted By: mmusso

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/07/15 10:03 AM

They act like turkeys and gobble like hell at thunder. Nothing changes, except that you'll get soaked. I killed a stud during the huge t'storm/tornado that came through a few years back...
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/07/15 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By: mmusso
They act like turkeys and gobble like hell at thunder. Nothing changes, except that you'll get soaked.

thumbup yep
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: what do turkeys do during a thunderstorm? - 04/07/15 01:56 PM

Freaking gobble is what they do
© 2024 ALDEER.COM