Aldeer.com

Monday's Mayhem

Posted By: arKic

Monday's Mayhem - 04/01/15 11:11 PM

My inlaws are in town visiting from Germany this week, and my father inlaw loves to hang out with me while I turkey hunt. This year he brought his brother and was excited to show him how special a gobbling turkey at sunrise is. We got out both Saturday and Sunday and got on some hot action both morning with at least 7 birds hammering it for a solid hour. Problem is, all the birds are across the line, and are henned up bad... But the experience was nothing short of amazing...

Monday morning both are dragging from jet lag and tell me they would rather sleep, I deside to go to a different property that just started to show some turkey sign.

I arrive well before first light and as the sun is rising, I'm getting less and less inthusisatic for a gobble. About 6:45, he hammers... He is across a horse pasture and only 200 yards away. I only have one option to setup because my truck is parked between us and I can't setup in the pasture, because the horse will blow my cover. I quickly get setup in a small field about 250 yards on the north end of him and I'm sure if he sees my decoys, he would head my way....

I use my hat and slap a pine tree as loud as I can to let him know we are in the field ready to play and he gobbles immediately as well as firing up a boss hen that sounds like I've stolen her poults!!! She pitches down in the horse pasture and Bitchin up a storm comes all the way to the fence and ole tom fires off again and I hear him pitch down.

The old boss hen turns and runs full speed to him and they disappear out the south end of the pasture....

I deside to go back to my original spot on the soybean field, setup, and wait them out, or at least see what shows up.

About 7:15 a lone hen comes up from the back of the field clucking her head off, I cluck back figuring I will at least have fun with her, but she stay 200 yards away clucking and feeding.

Then the hens start showing up from out of the horse pasture, 1,2,3,4 and a long beard in tow. They go straight to the lone hen and feed while tom puts on a show... I call, and get nothing but the cold shoulder and they feed out into the middle of the field.

I pull out my Fatal Attraxion glass call and start cuttin as hard and as loud as I can, that fires up the boss hen and she and I get into a cuttin match and I'm pissin her off enough that she breaks into a full run towards my decoys bringing the whole posse with her... The Tom is in full sprint, gobbling, and trying to keep up. They get into my set, he gobbles one last time and the Mossberg bites....

Posted By: North40R

Re: Monday's Mayhem - 04/02/15 12:21 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: HOWTON21

Re: Monday's Mayhem - 04/02/15 06:18 AM

Awesome.
Posted By: crenshawco

Re: Monday's Mayhem - 04/02/15 06:20 AM

Sounds like an awesome hunt. Nice bird too. Congrats!
Posted By: albowhntr

Re: Monday's Mayhem - 04/02/15 06:31 AM

Congrats
Posted By: David Leonard

Re: Monday's Mayhem - 04/02/15 07:45 AM

Congrats bro!...Good job!
Posted By: gobblinfever

Re: Monday's Mayhem - 04/02/15 08:21 AM

Congrats
Posted By: crockrj

Re: Monday's Mayhem - 04/02/15 08:57 AM

Awesome! Congrats