Aldeer.com

LFTT 1/19

Posted By: grundan

LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 07:26 AM

Back on wheeler this morning. Saw a flashlight 200 yards or so to my left and another one on the walk trail frown thought I might have this spot to maelf today....not
I tell you what, these ducks are happy..happy...happy!!
Posted By: Jus_me

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 07:59 AM

Sitting on a slough with a water oak flat that backs up to a first year cutover. Someone beat me to my spot this morning maybe the backup spot will be lucky for me
Posted By: bamafarmer

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 08:31 AM

sittin back in my smz between 1 yr cutover and 7 yr old pine
Posted By: swam4au

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 11:54 AM

I'm fixin to call it quits today. I'm in an opening in some pines that looks like a transition between bedding and food in Tuskegee NF. Checked it Friday and there are over a dozen scrapes. However all I have seen is the back of my eyelids this morning the two times I have nodded off for roughly 10 minutes
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 03:22 PM

Hunting the Wheeler Refuge this afternoon. Set up on a very Long Island with really good trails and I can shoot all the way across the island. Looks like easy killing , but I know better because there is nothing easy about killing one with a bow. Good luck yall.

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 03:26 PM

switched to a food plot this eve. hasnt been hunted since bow season..hopefully the bucks are cruising

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 04:08 PM

Well I stepped out of the blind at 11:15 to pack it up. Was walking over to get my scent stick when I saw one coming in from up wind. Since I knew I would get busted standing out in the open I drew back and when it stopped slightly quartering towards me staring me down I let it fly. I am good to 30 holding dead on so I held a little high because I thought it was 35yards. Heard a smack as the deer turned and I watched it run off interestingly. Thought I heard a crash, but couldn't find arrow or blood. Decided to knock another arrow and follow the direction it went. 75 yards later there was a white belly spike. First bow kill in 6 years so I'm happy with that. Turns out 35 yards was really 45 after I ranged it. He jumped the shot and I got 12-14in penetration in the OPPOSITE hindquarter lodging in the pelvis. Must have severed the main artery because he was dead in under 5 minutes. Muzzy, bad to the bone!!

Hindsight, probably shouldn't have shot but it resulted in a rather quick kill.

During field dressing I had a doe come flying in to 5 yards, could have thrown my knife! Heard crashing behind her and I thought it may be another buck, but turned out she was being chased by a pack of wild dogs, I had to yell and charge to get them to stop circling. Time for a sidearm.
Posted By: TR62

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 04:34 PM

Congrats Swam! beers

I NEVER bowhunt without a pistol. Too many dam yotes around me.
I'm on my last hunt for about a week. I'm headed to Atl for work. Y'all keep the bow LFTT going so I can daydream! I'm pretty sure Grundan, JD, Jus me and SMD44 will keep us posted on their hunts! thumbup

Good luck!!!

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 04:47 PM

Good job Swam from the ground.

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 05:28 PM

Saw a doe and a spike, couldn't get a shot at either.

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 07:16 PM

Zeroed again'
Posted By: Jus_me

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 07:23 PM

Zeroed while hunting. Went fishing this afternoon and saw 3.

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 07:33 PM

Couple if pics of a nice sunrise this morning. iPhone camera don't do it justice

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 09:17 PM

saw a spike
Posted By: BD

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/19/15 09:51 PM

Congrats swam
Posted By: KREGER

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/23/15 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: swam4au
Well I stepped out of the blind at 11:15 to pack it up. Was walking over to get my scent stick when I saw one coming in from up wind. Since I knew I would get busted standing out in the open I drew back and when it stopped slightly quartering towards me staring me down I let it fly. I am good to 30 holding dead on so I held a little high because I thought it was 35yards. Heard a smack as the deer turned and I watched it run off interestingly. Thought I heard a crash, but couldn't find arrow or blood. Decided to knock another arrow and follow the direction it went. 75 yards later there was a white belly spike. First bow kill in 6 years so I'm happy with that. Turns out 35 yards was really 45 after I ranged it. He jumped the shot and I got 12-14in penetration in the OPPOSITE hindquarter lodging in the pelvis. Must have severed the main artery because he was dead in under 5 minutes. Muzzy, bad to the bone!!

During field dressing I had a doe come flying in to 5 yards, could have thrown my knife! Heard crashing behind her and I thought it may be another buck, but turned out she was being chased by a pack of wild dogs, I had to yell and charge to get them to stop circling. Time for a sidearm.

Did you post a video of it on facebook?

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/23/15 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: KREGER

Originally Posted By: swam4au

Did you post a video of it on facebook?

No I did not. Haven't got into recording hunts yet, but hope to pick up a go pro or tactacam for next season
Posted By: KREGER

Re: LFTT 1/19 - 01/23/15 04:13 PM

Just wondering, I saw a that was from a friend of a fried in Tuskegee that almost matched your story perfectly.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM