Aldeer.com

Anybody ever tried decoys?

Posted By: BruteX

Anybody ever tried decoys? - 01/05/15 05:41 AM

Bought me a doe decoy from Montana decoys. I have several row crop fields that the deer come out in right before dark. My theory is that maybe the decoy will help get them in bow range. Anybody have any experience using one?
Posted By: Klow53

Re: Anybody ever tried decoys? - 01/05/15 08:37 AM

I'm curious about this. I was thinking about making a 2D decoy out of plywood and a "deer poster". Some study I read said that decoy work better than any of the scents alone. I don't know though. Im kinda going back old scholl, in to the wind no scents, calls, or other stuff. Be curious if you have any luck with this.
Posted By: SMB44

Re: Anybody ever tried decoys? - 01/05/15 09:36 AM

I too am curious about this and I have been thinking about it. Keep us updated with how it goes for you.
Posted By: Bowfool

Re: Anybody ever tried decoys? - 01/05/15 10:20 AM

I have had success with the Montana doe decoy. There have been a few times it spooked deer but they do pull in bucks and curious does. I kept reading to set it up planning on a buck to approach from the rear. But most of my deer come into the head first. It's funny when they get in front of it and cannot see it! I wish I would have videoed some of my hunt with it! I think clipping a hanky or piece of white cloth for a tail is important. They should make it on the decoy. I tried some buck and doe set-ups but have not been successful with that yet. If you try it be ready for coyotes, they will charge it and try to make it run. If you shoot one, get another arrow ready because there are usually more than one.

I just saw where they have an estrous doe now. That may be interesting!

I shot this buck one week after the photo was taken in a food plot 300 yards from this scrape with a Montana doe. He came in on a string!
Posted By: BruteX

Re: Anybody ever tried decoys? - 01/05/15 08:13 PM

I put mine out this evening. No bucks came into the field, only does and they were a couple hundred yards away. Looks good though.
Posted By: SMB44

Re: Anybody ever tried decoys? - 01/05/15 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Bowfool
I have had success with the Montana doe decoy. There have been a few times it spooked deer but they do pull in bucks and curious does. I kept reading to set it up planning on a buck to approach from the rear. But most of my deer come into the head first. It's funny when they get in front of it and cannot see it! I wish I would have videoed some of my hunt with it! I think clipping a hanky or piece of white cloth for a tail is important. They should make it on the decoy. I tried some buck and doe set-ups but have not been successful with that yet. If you try it be ready for coyotes, they will charge it and try to make it run. If you shoot one, get another arrow ready because there are usually more than one.

I just saw where they have an estrous doe now. That may be interesting!

I shot this buck one week after the photo was taken in a food plot 300 yards from this scrape with a Montana doe. He came in on a string!

thanks for helping me spend my money!
Posted By: JBinGulfShores

Re: Anybody ever tried decoys? - 01/06/15 09:43 AM

Be SUPER careful with a decoy during gun season...........over that sucker with orange while carrying it around even on private ground!
Posted By: Klow53

Re: Anybody ever tried decoys? - 01/06/15 11:48 AM

may have to get one before next season...might be worth a try. May even be better for gettin rid of some yotes after deer season is over smile
Posted By: boker

Re: Anybody ever tried decoys? - 01/06/15 09:04 PM

I have. I never had them pull at buck into range but I have had a lot of fun watching the deer react to a decoy.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM