Aldeer.com

LFTT Help!!

Posted By: Coosa1

LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 08:35 AM

About 45mins ago I arrowed a NICE buck. The shot looked decent, maybe a touch back but not far. Deer ran about 60yds and bedded down where I could see him but after about 20mins he got back up and kinda hobbled off. I am still up in the tree and can see my arrow stuck in the ground and it is covered in blood from one end to the other. I've never had one bed down and get back up and walk off. Do yall think I'm gonna find this deer?
Posted By: Shaw

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 08:40 AM

Sounds like a liver hit. Give him at least 3 hours.
Posted By: RikkiV

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
Sounds like a liver hit. Give him at least 3 hours.

This. Slip out and give him a few hours, as hard as it is. I have seen them get up a few times before they die with a liver hit but he will die. Good luck!
Posted By: Stripe

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 08:58 AM

Probably only went a short distance and dropped. Give him some time. Congrats.

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 09:01 AM

I'm gonna give him until 10 or so. Im about to climb down and go eat breakfast. I hope I get him. This is him on my trail can the other morning.

u
Posted By: SLAYER

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 09:04 AM

That's a hell of a deer...back out and give him a few hours for sure..you don't want to keep jumping a deer of that caliber...great job congrats and hope u find him
Posted By: 7Mag

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 09:05 AM

If I had shot that deer I would want to hurry and get my hands on him to. As tuff as it is back out and give him time. Good luck in finding him. Keep us updated.
Posted By: bamafarmer

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 09:05 AM

congrats! nice deer! im not far if you need some help...keep us posted!
Posted By: Atoler

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 09:06 AM

like everyone else said, back out and give him some time. If you caught liver, then he won't be far. Also, I'd grab a gun from the truck and bring it with you to find him. just in case.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 09:06 AM

He's probably already dead. But to be on the safe side, I'd get some help and go in at lunchtime.

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 10:32 AM

The arrow

Posted By: bgarrett

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 10:44 AM

That deer will never see another sunrise. good shot...
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 10:57 AM

huntin in town again I see
Posted By: clarkdeer

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 11:07 AM

Listen to these guys They know there stuff.
Posted By: Talltines

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 11:16 AM

Looks like liver. Back out give him a couple hours and he will be DRT.
Posted By: 105

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 11:20 AM

For sure liver. He be dead in the next bed.
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Coosa1
About 45mins ago I arrowed a NICE buck. The shot looked decent, maybe a touch back but not far. Deer ran about 60yds and bedded down where I could see him but after about 20mins he got back up and kinda hobbled off. I am still up in the tree and can see my arrow stuck in the ground and it is covered in blood from one end to the other. I've never had one bed down and get back up and walk off. Do yall think I'm gonna find this deer?

Had the exact same scenario happen 2 weeks ago with a doe. I climbed down after 2 hours and walked to within 5 yards of her only to find her still alive. I slowly back peddled and she jumped up and took off. Came back 2 hours later,and she was dead at the nearest creek crossing on the other side of the creek. I'd give him at least 4 hours,3 if it was a doe

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 01:04 PM

Followed good blood for 100yds or so and bumped him out of his bed. I shot him at 6:30 and it's noon now. Gonna back out and wait another couple of hours. I'm starting to get a little sick to my stomach frown
Posted By: PRB

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Coosa1
Followed good blood for 100yds or so and bumped him out of his bed. I shot him at 6:30 and it's noon now. Gonna back out and wait another couple of hours. I'm starting to get a little sick to my stomach frown

Take a gun with you!

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 01:14 PM

I had one with me earlier, it's just so ungodly thick in there that you can barely see 10yds
Posted By: SLAYER

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 01:25 PM

I know it's gonna be hard to do Coosa but if it was me I would wait til in the morning to go get that beast...gonna be plenty cold tonight, coyotes might get to him first but you will still be able to recover him but that's just my thoughts
Posted By: RikkiV

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: SLAYER
I know it's gonna be hard to do Coosa but if it was me I would wait til in the morning to go get that beast...gonna be plenty cold tonight, coyotes might get to him first but you will still be able to recover him but that's just my thoughts

I agree, that is a great deer and I wouldn't want to push him any more.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 02:33 PM

How did he act? Was he weak or strong?

If he was looking weak, I would wait until about 4:00 PM and then try one more time. Go real slow and look hard with your binos. I hate leaving them overnight. Dang yotes get them. If I didn't find him before dark though, I would wait until morning.

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 02:44 PM

I didn't see him get up but he didn't sound like he was full out running. We're gonna go back in around 330 with a dog and see if we can find him. If not I'll try again in the morning
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 02:50 PM

If it's that thick in there take a shotgun and some buckshot. Give him until 4:00 and go back after him...
Posted By: bigt

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 02:53 PM

Good luck! Can't wait to see the pics when you find him wink
Posted By: Willyb

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 03:41 PM

Hope you don't bump him again. Me personally I wouldn't take a dog in this afternoon if you just bumped him a few hours ago. Speaking from experience. Only take the dog if you know he's dead. My vote is wait til tomorrow morning. I'd hate to see you regretting not doing so if you bump him again this afternoon
Posted By: N_AL_Slugger

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 03:43 PM

Not sure why the dog would be necessary if you know the last place you saw him.

These threads usually have happy endings. Cheering for you.

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 04:02 PM

That's exactly why I said to take a gun, get you some buck shot and ease in on him, you ought to be able to get right up on him if he is still alive.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 07:51 PM

Updates??
Posted By: bamafarmer

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 07:59 PM

the suspense is killing me...
Posted By: Reaper

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 08:27 PM

Well???????

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 08:36 PM

Went to the last blood and searched for an hour, couldn't find another drop. But by that time the last blood was so dried up that it was hard for me to see to begin with. Brought the neighbors dog over(it's a German Shepard police dog) and it didn't even show interest in the blood or his last bed. I'm going to go comb the area again first thing in the morning but at this point it looks like I'm SOL.
Posted By: sluggun

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 08:43 PM

Look for someone with an actual tracking dog. i believe there is a list of tracking dog on the aon website not sure. take the dog in before you track the place up even more. good luck.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: sluggun
Look for someone with an actual tracking dog. i believe there is a list of tracking dog on the aon website not sure. take the dog in before you track the place up even more. good luck.

^^this^^
Posted By: UARandy3

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 09:22 PM

Dang man. No way I'd go back in there after a buck like that without a true tracking dog. Good luck with the recovery. Surely he'll be dead, it's just a matter of finding him.

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 10:16 PM

I contacted one of the guys on the list of tracking dogs. He's gonna call me in the morning and we're gonna try to work it out and find him.
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: LFTT Help!! - 12/31/14 10:44 PM

Don't give up. He's there somewhere. I looked for an 8 point all day once till I was give out. Found what was left of him the first day of turkey season. Only missed him by 100 yards.
Posted By: Reyn

Re: LFTT Help!! - 01/01/15 09:06 AM

Any luck?
Posted By: earleys467

Re: LFTT Help!! - 01/01/15 01:36 PM

update?
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: LFTT Help!! - 01/01/15 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: earleys467
update?

X2

Re: LFTT Help!! - 01/01/15 04:18 PM

No luck with the dogs. Searched around in there for 2-3hrs and never found him. Gonna go back and comb the area really good again later this week.
Posted By: TooTall

Re: LFTT Help!! - 01/02/15 02:54 PM

That deer may not die, or it may just take a long while for him to go septic. That looks like liver blood on the arrow, and you may have just clipped it. The liver will bleed like crazy even if its just nicked.

If the dogs weren't interested/successful, I'd be really surprised if he is dead in that general area. I don't know how you feel about it, but I've found one where all I got were the antlers, and I when I did, I really wished that the buck had just lived or I had missed. Anyway, good luck and I hope you get the outcome that you're hoping for.
Posted By: gman

Re: LFTT Help!! - 01/02/15 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: TooTall
That deer may not die, or it may just take a long while for him to go septic. That looks like liver blood on the arrow, and you may have just clipped it. The liver will bleed like crazy even if its just nicked.

If the dogs weren't interested/successful, I'd be really surprised if he is dead in that general area. I don't know how you feel about it, but I've found one where all I got were the antlers, and I when I did, I really wished that the buck had just lived or I had missed. Anyway, good luck and I hope you get the outcome that you're hoping for.
good post

Re: LFTT Help!! - 01/03/15 12:31 PM

That deer is definately dead. The hole probably got plugged up, and when you jumped him he didn't bleed anymore. wouldn't be surprised if he made it another 4-500yds. watch for buzzards.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM