Aldeer.com

South Zone season dates

Posted By: T-town

South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 09:54 AM

Who would like to get the first ten days back (Oct 15-24)and have the bow season close when gun season is out in December?

Early bow season is by far the best in my opinion even with warm temps.
Posted By: MarkBAMA

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 10:58 AM

I think the question for South Alabama hunters is: Would you rather hunt the first ten days of February or the first ten days of bow season?

I'll take the way it is now.

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 11:03 AM

Traded the 10 most productive archery days (IMO) for 10 of the least productive. Why not just close the whole season those ten days in December?
Posted By: bigt

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 11:06 AM

I like it the way it is down here.....
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 12:11 PM

I like the fact that they backed it up. For me at least, it gives us that extra week and half to plant all of our food plots. Just cant see planting plots those first three weeks of September. Our plots look better than year than they ever have and I think it is because of the time we planted them.
Posted By: Bowfool

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 01:33 PM

I think I would rather have the 1st ten days back myself. The 10 days we had in December sucked for us.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 02:15 PM

I don't hunt in the south zone. But for me, the early season has always been more productive. To me it would make more sense to start October 15 and completely close the 10 days in December. If you're serious about it, you may want to consider bringing the topic up at a CAB meeting next year. It may not get far. Judging by the few replies on this thread alone it looks like most want to leave it as is. Personally I would love for them to open bow season the first Saturday in October every year.
Posted By: teamduckdown

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 02:17 PM

Give us back the first 10 and totally close it the first 10 days of December.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 02:19 PM

I'd like for bow season to open September 15th around here. Always wanted to kill a buck in full velvet.
Posted By: JA

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 07:41 PM

I missed the Oct 15 start date. Waiting till Oct 25 just wasn't the same.

I will say I had the whole place to myself 1-10 Dec.
Posted By: Double_Six

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 09:21 PM

Don't close any days .just add more if anything!!!
Posted By: skintback

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 09:40 PM

I'm in the south and would rather have the ten days in October an close completely the 10 days in December. That's ten days if acorns being eaten that I can't hunt over.
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 09:49 PM

I want it back...Bow hunting is not the same.... Two weeks of guns going off does not help the ten days in December of bow hunting...Deer are more spooky and nervous and it is simply not the same as hunting the early season... Starting the 15th and closing the first ten is what I'd like to see... You can't get back those ten days of "quiet" woods...Period...
Posted By: LWMajor

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/19/14 09:54 PM

Id rather it open on oct 25th completely close the december 10 days and give us from the 11th till the 20th of feb for bows! Of course thats me i do hunt in south baldwin county !, i just cant stand hunting in the HEAT !
Posted By: mzzy

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/21/14 04:10 AM

I personally have always loved October 15, I understand the southern zone but I would Like bow season go back to the 15th.

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/21/14 04:52 AM

M
Originally Posted By: LWMajor
Id rather it open on oct 25th completely close the december 10 days and give us from the 11th till the 20th of feb for bows! Of course thats me i do hunt in south baldwin county !, i just cant stand hunting in the HEAT !

I like the way you think wink

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/21/14 09:28 AM

For y'all that like it the way it is. Did y'all even bow hunt the first of December, how was the hunting?
Posted By: huntbig

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/21/14 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By: teamduckdown
Give us back the first 10 and totally close it the first 10 days of December.

This!

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/21/14 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: T-town
For y'all that like it the way it is. Did y'all even bow hunt the first of December, how was the hunting?

Only hunted once during the ten days this year due to work.....saw deer so the hunting was good.

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/22/14 05:37 PM

Any of those deer you saw within bow range? Lot easier to hide yourself before all the leaves fall. How many mature bucks did you see on their feet?
Posted By: turkey247

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/22/14 05:52 PM

[quote=T-town]For y'all that like it the way it is. Did y'all even bow hunt the first of December, how was the hunting?

[/quote

December 1-10 had average highs of 70-78 degrees. And that followed the bang stick party the previous nine days. Not good this year.

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/22/14 06:20 PM

Turk247,
When is the bowhunting ever real good, regardless of the weather, right after the bangsticks come out?

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/22/14 06:42 PM

Any of those deer you saw within bow range? Lot easier to hide yourself before all the leaves fall. How many mature bucks did you see on their feet?

Dude the trees down here are still full of leaves. They all were in bow range and none were mature bucks but again it was just one day.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/22/14 11:48 PM

Turk247,
When is the bowhunting ever real good, regardless of the weather, right after the bangsticks come out?

Yeah I know. It was just an extra slap in the face from mother nature.

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/23/14 08:17 AM

Funny how they still move in daylight middle of October even when the high is in the low 80's.

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/23/14 08:51 AM

Funny how they still move in daylight middle of October even when the high is in the low 80's.

They still move during the day in December too.

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/23/14 08:59 AM

T-town where do you hunt in the south zone? It must not be in lower part of the zone.

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/23/14 09:33 AM

No, we're just south of Hwy 80. I'm glad ya'll get to hunt February now, but it stinks that we've lost 1/3 of our early season which has always been the best for taking good deer with a bow. I can go sit and see deer in early December too, but its not the ideal time to kill a big deer with your bow. All the acorns are on the ground, everyones green fields are up, bucks have been out of velvet for 6-8 weeks, there's been 2 weeks of gun season pressure, and the rut is still over a month away.
Youth and muzzleloader season has already shortened the early season "quiet woods" by a week and now we've traded 10 more days.

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/23/14 11:27 AM

I understand T-town and would probably feel the exact same way if I was in your shoes. To be honest I would not have a problem with them totally closing those ten days in December as long as our season still went to February 10. Selfishly I like an earlier suggestion of ten days of bow season added in at the end of our February season but I realize that would only be good for us extreme southern hunters. Good luck on your season and stay safe!
Posted By: Willyb

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/29/14 12:14 AM

Aw look at ya just stirrin the pot. I've had chances to kill good deer with my bow all through the season so far. October, November and December

Re: South Zone season dates - 12/29/14 12:55 PM

I wouldn't be complaining if my place was holding 100+ deer per square mile this season like someone else I know.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM