Aldeer.com

pendalum sights

Posted By: Double_Six

pendalum sights - 12/17/14 07:13 PM

Hey guys,I've been out of bowhunting for a while, and last time I was bowhunting, most everyone was using pendalum sights for treestand hunting. why is it now most everyone you see uses pin sights out of trees? thanks
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: pendalum sights - 12/17/14 07:31 PM

Because todays bows are much faster, so judging yardage out to 30 yards is unnecessary. You can have one pin dead on from 0-30 yards.
Posted By: Double_Six

Re: pendalum sights - 12/17/14 07:40 PM

thanks man that makes since.
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: pendalum sights - 12/17/14 10:24 PM

I still use the penalum sight. My philosophy is if it ain't broke don't try to fix it but I do change to fixed pins after deer season.
Posted By: Grasshopper

Re: pendalum sights - 12/23/14 07:05 PM

I love a pendalum... Thinking of going back to one ... No these new bows don't shot that flat ... Climbing up 25 feet changes the game
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: pendalum sights - 12/23/14 07:34 PM

Pendulum sights work. You just draw back and put the pin on him, and hit the release. It is just one less thing to think about at the moment of truth.

I never could get used to shooting pins. I allowed for everything except making the shot simple. I went to an Eliminator sight on my Oneida Eagle and piled deer up like cord wood in the early 80's and later. A fast bow and a pendulum sight were just what I needed. I have since gone to a crossbow and haven't shot but 2 deer in ten years with it.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: pendalum sights - 12/23/14 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Grasshopper
I love a pendalum... Thinking of going back to one ... No these new bows don't shot that flat ... Climbing up 25 feet changes the game

My bow does. Heck, my old MQ1 shot 0-20.
Posted By: T-town

Re: pendalum sights - 12/23/14 11:00 PM

2004 Outback 1 pin out to 30.
Posted By: Grasshopper

Re: pendalum sights - 12/23/14 11:51 PM

So shooting a 3d tournament you use one pin for 30 and under ... I'm shooting a Elite e32 and from the ground I have a 20 pin for 20 and under ... But who shots 10 yards from the ground ? But in a tree 10 is 6" high !
Posted By: Atoler

Re: pendalum sights - 12/24/14 01:50 PM

at 20yds, 20' in a tree, I shoot 1" higher than off the ground. At 30yds, 20' up a tree, there is almost no difference. The only time i could ever see 6" of difference being possible is if you were 40' up and the deer was really close. But even then, most of your percieved raising of impact is actually just the steeper angle. Example. If I'm shooting at 10yds off the ground and pull the shot 1" high, it hits 1" high. If I'm 30' up a tree, shooting at a broadside deer at 10yds, and pull it the same ammount, I might actually enter the deers body 6" higher than I would have. But there's only a 1" difference in arrow flight.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: pendalum sights - 12/24/14 02:46 PM

Faster bows and lighter carbon arrows do flatten the trajectory. Secondly, the new fiber optics used on most pin sights probably have something to do with it. Lastly, any component that moves, has the possibility of messing the shooter up if it doesn't move correctly. I know several guys that had poor shots or misses because their pendulum didn't swing freely for one reason or another. Brighter fiber optic pins, flatter shooting bows and arrows, and fewer mechanical malfunctions from pin sights all combined to eliminate the pendulum from most set-ups.
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: pendalum sights - 12/24/14 07:09 PM

Teacher One I had a Areo Force with the Eliminator pendulum site and use to stack- up as well. I still have the set-up but been shooting Mathews since the early years of Mathews. (Q2XL, LX, and now the Z7)
© 2024 ALDEER.COM