Aldeer.com

First deer with slick tricks

Posted By: Atoler

First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 07:44 PM

Switched to slick tricks two weeks ago because I lost two does do to shoulder shots with expandables. Well I put them to the test tonight, had this one come in from behind trailing three does. Put it right thru his shoulder quartering towards me at 5 yds. One of the bigger bodied deer I've killed even if the rack doesn't match.

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 07:48 PM

Some before pics of him, he's on the left

Posted By: Grasshopper

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 08:10 PM

Nice buck .. Big ole body
Posted By: Jus_me

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 08:18 PM

Nice deer. Congrats!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 08:31 PM

Looks like a big ole feller! Congrats.
Posted By: Stob

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 08:43 PM

Phatty!
Congrats.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 08:59 PM

beers
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 09:00 PM

Quartering towards at 5 yards? Man, I'd like to see a video of your hunt, bet that got your heart going. How long were you drawn for?
Posted By: Farmer64

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 09:14 PM

congrats beers
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 10:09 PM

congrats!
Posted By: Jwbfx4

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 10:31 PM

Congrats.

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: dirkdaddy
Quartering towards at 5 yards? Man, I'd like to see a video of your hunt, bet that got your heart going. How long were you drawn for?

About 10 seconds, he was tagging along behind 3 does and they had come through then turned broadside about 5yds out. Figured he was gonna do the same thing, but he froze when I drew, so I decided to just slam it through his shoulder. He only went 80yds or so, but didn't hardly bleed because the entry was so high with no exit. It was a fun hunt, I just started a new job so I haven't been able to hunt much, the drag out of there was killer though. I just got him out
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
Originally Posted By: dirkdaddy

About 10 seconds, he was tagging along behind 3 does and they had come through then turned broadside about 5yds out. Figured he was gonna do the same thing, but he froze when I drew, so I decided to just slam it through his shoulder. He only went 80yds or so, but didn't hardly bleed because the entry was so high with no exit. It was a fun hunt, I just started a new job so I haven't been able to hunt much, the drag out of there was killer though. I just got him out
Awesome. congrats thumbup

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 11:06 PM

Preciate it fellas
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 11:08 PM

beers Congrats!! Looks like that neck sho is swelled up...

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/12/14 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Tru-Talker
beers Congrats!! Looks like that neck sho is swelled up...

He wasn't bleeding much, but I thought I heard him crash, so I went ahead and walked that direction. Smelled him before I saw him, he was stunk up
Posted By: NortonZ7

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/13/14 12:19 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/13/14 10:52 AM

Nice deer. Look up shot placement and location of vitals on deer. Really shouldn't shoot any deer in shoulders with broadhead! Should be behind shoulders that could be why you lost does not due to expandeables. Shot placement is crucial with broadheads! Go get another one!

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/13/14 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: outdoors1
Nice deer. Look up shot placement and location of vitals on deer. Really shouldn't shoot any deer in shoulders with broadhead! Should be behind shoulders that could be why you lost does not due to expandeables. Shot placement is crucial with broadheads! Go get another one!

Really? How long have you been hunting buddy? If you shoot a deer that's quartering towards you, you're saying that you should shoot them behind the shoulder huh? That wouldn't put it in the guts or anything? The two does I lost were due to bad shots, but I would have killed them with a fixed blade. Of that I'm certain. I've killed somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 animals with a bow. I think I've got a pretty good grasp of where to stick them.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/13/14 12:09 PM

Great shot. I don't mind taking a close quartering to shot either. Faith in my equipment and confidence in my ability to put it where I want. Killed plenty quartering to. Unfortunately you can't always wait for that perfect broadside or quartering away shot.

Great buck and a heckuva bow kill!!! Ain't nothing like the stick and string!
Posted By: JayBo

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/13/14 03:08 PM

Are "Slick Tricks" the standard around these parts?

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/13/14 09:55 PM

No, expandables are a lot more common I would think, none of the big stores carry them around here

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/13/14 10:11 PM

[quote=Atoler]Switched to slick tricks two weeks ago because I lost two does do to shoulder shots with expandables. Well I put them to the test tonight, had this one come in from behind trailing three does. Put it right thru his shoulder quartering towards me at 5 yds. One of the bigger bodied deer I've killed even if the.

You said it I didn't. I would bet you would have got both does if you had shot both does broadside behind shoulder with either broadhead. Sometimes best to let them walk instead of taking a shoulder shot buddy. Oh! How many other than fifty you lose? Coyotes love you! I don't care about the number you shot that don't make you a better hunter than anybody else. Maturity is measured by how much you learn from your youth!

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/13/14 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: outdoors1
[quote=Atoler]Switched to slick tricks two weeks ago because I lost two does do to shoulder shots with expandables. Well I put them to the test tonight, had this one come in from behind trailing three does. Put it right thru his shoulder quartering towards me at 5 yds. One of the bigger bodied deer I've killed even if the.

You said it I didn't. I would bet you would have got both does if you had shot both does broadside behind shoulder with either broadhead. Sometimes best to let them walk instead of taking a shoulder shot buddy. Oh! How many other than fifty you lose? Coyotes love you! I don't care about the number you shot that don't make you a better hunter than anybody else. Maturity is measured by how much you learn from your youth!

You are an idiot. Did I ever say either deer I lost wasn't broadside? Both were actually chip shots. Broadside. One I clipped a tree and hit the shoulder. The other I simply pulled my shot 3" to the left and stuck her in the shoulder. Neither arrow went in more than 2". I've lost one other deer with a bow. Now I've missed about 10 or so. But about 5 of those were when I was first starting. If you are much of a bow hunter, then you realize that bad shots and misses are part of it. They cannot be completely avoided. But please go ahead and tell me about how I feed coyotes.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/14/14 10:05 AM

Both of you, cool it. This petty bickering and name calling isn't going to be tolerated in the Bow Forum.
Posted By: mmusso

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/14/14 10:22 AM

Lol

Congrats on the kill...

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/15/14 05:43 PM

rofl
I really didn't appreciate the name calling! Just have advice and comments like everybody else on here! Carry on....
Posted By: 280Rem.

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/16/14 11:47 AM

Congrats
Posted By: Stickem

Re: First deer with slick tricks - 12/29/14 02:26 PM

Thats a good un!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM