Aldeer.com

Acorn ID?

Posted By: Possum Hunter

Acorn ID? - 11/02/14 04:20 PM

What kind of acorn is this? Theyre dropping heavy whatever it is and theyre huge!

Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/02/14 04:29 PM

Northern red looks like to me.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/02/14 04:57 PM

If the cap covers the acorn like it looks like it does it's an overcup oak.
Posted By: countryjwh

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/02/14 05:49 PM

Overcup
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/02/14 06:22 PM

Only overcup I've ever seen, the cup completely covered the acorn. I wanna see the leaf if ya got a pic. Also, that looks like a ridge he's sittin on. If it came from there, it'd be the first overcup I've ever seen that grew more than 20ft. away from a swamp.
Posted By: BamaStrapAssassi

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/02/14 10:55 PM

I found some like these this morning.
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/03/14 12:42 AM

Over cup. Deer don't prefer them, but they will eat them eventually.
Posted By: Rock

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/03/14 06:49 AM

Hey. Felllos. Do. Ya. Think. There's. Much. Crunch to. That. Type. Acron. We'll. a little. New. At. Al deer. But. Sure. Like. Keeping. Informed. What's. Going. On. In. The. Woods. I'm. A. Huge. Hunter. Live. In. Verbena. Area. I. Had. A bad. Injury. To. My. Right. Hand. 2. Years. Ago. Lost. More. Than. Half. My. Hand. Just. Getting. Back. To. Really. Hunting. This. Year. Doctors. Had. Me. On. So. Much. Pain. Meds. I. Couldn't. Function. I. Still. Have. Been. Going. Huntin. But. Not. To. The. Normal. I. Shot. Two. Of. The. Biggest. Bucks. I've. Ever. Seen. In. My. Hunting. Cares. Last. Year. But. Lost. Both. Of. Them. I guess. To. Bad. Shots. I. Trailed. A twelve. Point. Nooner. For. 250. Yards. Blood. Poring. Like. You. Spilled. It. Out. Of. Bucket. Then. Found. A. Bone. Fragment. Then. No. Moore. Blood. Never. Found. Deer. The. Other. Buck. Was. Even. Larger. Than. The. First. It. Was. The. Last. Week. Of. Season. A. Pure. Monster. Nothing. On. That. Deer. But. A. Lot. Of. Hair. And. Tiny. Bits. Of. Meat. But. I. Have. Got. To. We're. I. Can. Shoot. My. Bow. I. Have. A. Matthews. Helium. By. Way. I. Shot. The. Two. Big. Deer. With. A. Safari. 308. Last. Season. It. Wasn't. The. Gun. Because. I killed. 9. Other. Deer. Last. Year. Most. Fell. In. Tracks
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/03/14 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Rock
Hey. Felllos. Do. Ya. Think. There's. Much. Crunch to. That. Type. Acron. We'll. a little. New. At. Al deer. But. Sure. Like. Keeping. Informed. What's. Going. On. In. The. Woods. I'm. A. Huge. Hunter. Live. In. Verbena. Area. I. Had. A bad. Injury. To. My. Right. Hand. 2. Years. Ago. Lost. More. Than. Half. My. Hand. Just. Getting. Back. To. Really. Hunting. This. Year. Doctors. Had. Me. On. So. Much. Pain. Meds. I. Couldn't. Function. I. Still. Have. Been. Going. Huntin. But. Not. To. The. Normal. I. Shot. Two. Of. The. Biggest. Bucks. I've. Ever. Seen. In. My. Hunting. Cares. Last. Year. But. Lost. Both. Of. Them. I guess. To. Bad. Shots. I. Trailed. A twelve. Point. Nooner. For. 250. Yards. Blood. Poring. Like. You. Spilled. It. Out. Of. Bucket. Then. Found. A. Bone. Fragment. Then. No. Moore. Blood. Never. Found. Deer. The. Other. Buck. Was. Even. Larger. Than. The. First. It. Was. The. Last. Week. Of. Season. A. Pure. Monster. Nothing. On. That. Deer. But. A. Lot. Of. Hair. And. Tiny. Bits. Of. Meat. But. I. Have. Got. To. We're. I. Can. Shoot. My. Bow. I. Have. A. Matthews. Helium. By. Way. I. Shot. The. Two. Big. Deer. With. A. Safari. 308. Last. Season. It. Wasn't. The. Gun. Because. I killed. 9. Other. Deer. Last. Year. Most. Fell. In. Tracks

Sounds like you had a great year!! Post some pics of your kills this year.
Posted By: Possum Hunter

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/03/14 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Johnal3
Only overcup I've ever seen, the cup completely covered the acorn. I wanna see the leaf if ya got a pic. Also, that looks like a ridge he's sittin on. If it came from there, it'd be the first overcup I've ever seen that grew more than 20ft. away from a swamp.

No swamp nearby.... I found abunch of em walking a ridge... I will have to get pictures of the leaves and tree itself next weekend but all were identical to this one size color and cup.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/03/14 10:15 AM

My head just exploded.
Posted By: TR62

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/03/14 10:54 AM

Is an overcup red oak same as big cap red oak?
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/03/14 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: TR62
Is an overcup red oak same as big cap red oak?

Overcup is a white oak variety.
Posted By: hilltop

Re: Acorn ID? - 11/03/14 01:51 PM

Say what?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM