Aldeer.com

Red oaks?

Posted By: Johnal3

Red oaks? - 10/09/14 04:24 PM

Do you guys hunt them? What I mean is, do you ever find a red oak that's sho nuff "hot" like white oaks or swamp chestnuts? I haven't, but have hunted a couple that just had more sign than anything else I could find. What ye say?
And was it a northern or southern red??
Posted By: mmusso

Re: Red oaks? - 10/09/14 04:26 PM

not sure what type of red (or if it matters), but yes, I'll hunt any red, white, chestnut, etc. that's loaded up or dropping acorns...
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Red oaks? - 10/09/14 04:51 PM

Yes I hunt the whole family of red oaks on our place. The best years is when the water oaks drop in January. It's like the first of bow season in January.

Re: Red oaks? - 10/09/14 06:03 PM

[quote=N2TRKYS]Yes I hunt the whole family of red oaks on our place. The best years is when the water oaks drop in January. It's like the first of bow season in January. [/quote
Yeah, I like water oaks for that reason! You can kill deer off them all season long just about!
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Red oaks? - 10/09/14 06:27 PM

My experience hunting them... The deer hit ever other acorn tree out there first.....and hit the red oaks last..... I always hunt the water oaks first....white oaks/swamp oaks second....and red oaks last.... But that's just how I've patterned them where I hunt.... Could be different in other places.....
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Red oaks? - 10/09/14 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Tru-Talker
and hit the red oaks last..... I always hunt the water oaks first

Water Oaks are Red Oaks.

If you find a Northern Red Oak dropping acorns, stop and hunt it. They have large acorns, White Oak sized and I believe they are the preferred acorn. Having said that, we only have Water, White, Southern Reds, Scarlet Reds, Post, a few Northern Reds around my stomping grounds.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Red oaks? - 10/09/14 08:26 PM

a few years ago i found a red oak on a piece of property that i was hunting, it was the only oak dropping during the first week of bow season on my place that i could find. i killed a doe within 30 minutes the first time i hunted it, i only got to hunt it that once before all the other oaks started dropping.
Posted By: AU coonhunter

Re: Red oaks? - 10/09/14 09:09 PM

Fur is right on the Northern reds, they are a preferred acorn from what I have seen. Chinkapins are an overlooked acorn as well. Find a loaded chinkapin and you will find deer sign.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Red oaks? - 10/09/14 09:20 PM

We had good luck hunting Shumards when I was in college in MS.
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Red oaks? - 10/09/14 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
and hit the red oaks last..... I always hunt the water oaks first

Water Oaks are Red Oaks.

I know they are technically..... I just don't know all the technical names for all the variations of trees.... I go by the leaf pattern and bark.... What I refer to is here (generically speaking of course)..... There are too many variations... I don't try to keep up with em all.... If I need definite answers.... I'll ask AUcoonhunter... smile

Water oak...

Red Oak...

Re: Red oaks? - 10/09/14 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: AU coonhunter
Fur is right on the Northern reds, they are a preferred acorn from what I have seen. Chinkapins are an overlooked acorn as well. Find a loaded chinkapin and you will find deer sign.

We had some of em til the dang tornadoes tore thru Adger/Bessemer last year. I'll miss them for sure. Dang tornado got in Valley Creek and followed it almost the length of our property, well over a mile.
If you could ever find this

More times than not, you got to look at this
Posted By: Talltines

Re: Red oaks? - 10/10/14 10:51 AM

My experience hunting them... The deer hit ever other acorn tree out there first.....and hit the red oaks last..... I always hunt the water oaks first....white oaks/swamp oaks second....and red oaks last.... But that's just how I've patterned them where I hunt.... Could be different in other places.....

This^^^^^
Posted By: Climber

Re: Red oaks? - 10/10/14 07:09 PM

Opinions on mtn. oak?

Re: Red oaks? - 10/10/14 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Climber
Opinions on mtn. oak?

Super bitter! I've seen them eat them until ANYTHING else starts falling. Not a first pic for me.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM