Aldeer.com

Seems to be NO acorns...

Posted By: teamduckdown

Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/28/14 11:08 AM

In Wilcox Co. anyway. Went up to the club the other day and rode around most of the day, put out a few cameras and checked some of the oaks at my usual bow spots, and couldn't hardly buy an acorn. Check dozens of trees and found one, single Swamp Chestnut with a good amount of acorns. Everything else (white oaks, red oaks, water oaks) had absolutely nothing.

Saw a bunch of turkeys, 13 hens/youngins and 7 gobblers. smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/28/14 11:33 AM

man,..that makes choosing a tree ALOT easier!

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/28/14 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession

Without a doubt. My luck, it wont drop until rifle season laugh
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/28/14 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: teamduckdown
Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession

Without a doubt. My luck, it wont drop until rifle season laugh

Na, if it's a swamp chestnut you should hit it about perfectly on the 25th.

The live oak acorns are very scarce this year on my place in Baldwin Co, which is why I went ahead and planted plots yesterday. The water oaks produced pretty well, but they have already started dropping heavily confused and certain red oaks have them.
Definitely an off year though. Hunting should be good.

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/28/14 07:11 PM

Idk. Ive hunted and killed alot of deer under this tree. A couple years ago it was heavily loaded and didn't drop until first week of December. Lol
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/28/14 07:34 PM

Water oaks seems to be loaded and already dropping. My sawtooths did nothing this year. Haven't taken a good look at my white and reds. I've got a limited number of good mature oak areas that I'm there no matter what in bow season. No reason to scout and mess it up
Posted By: Sulli

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/28/14 09:08 PM

Oaks on our club in Fayette county are nut less blush. Here at the house you need a hard hat on, southern chestnut oaks are LOADED and raining down. Makes me scratch my head, cause we didn't have any last year either mad
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/28/14 09:24 PM

I won't check mine until a day or two before bow season starts.
Posted By: James

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/28/14 11:25 PM

I hung a few stands Saturday & looked around some..I didn't see much either I dunno
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/29/14 05:57 AM

I have seen the same thing. On a place I hunt in north Baldwin, there are 2 white oaks and 2 swamp chestnuts that have acorns and they are already dropping green acorns bc of the dry wather. There's only a handful of water oaks I have found throughout the county that have a crop. However, every single water oak and laurel oak in my back yard are loaded. Go figure.
Posted By: jbsbama

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/29/14 03:23 PM

Nothing on the Cahaba WMA after scouting all weekend. Headed to Black Warrior this weekend.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/29/14 04:12 PM

Scarse up here as well.
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/29/14 04:30 PM

I went to the land Friday and could not find any on the ground or in the trees in Tuscaloosa county.

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/29/14 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: top cat
Scarse up here as well.

Wherever you are grin
Posted By: top cat

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/30/14 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: teamduckdown
Originally Posted By: top cat
Scarse up here as well.

Wherever you are grin

Indeed wink
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/30/14 08:29 PM

Think in a every 3rd year way and the acorns will be there.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/30/14 08:39 PM

Looked at a couple hundred white oaks this past weekend. About every 30th tree would be loaded.Really had to be persistent and keep looking.

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 09/30/14 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: lectrode
Looked at a couple hundred white oaks this past weekend. About every 30th tree would be loaded.Really had to be persistent and keep looking.

HA! There arent 30 white oaks on the 8000 acres I hunt. So im screwed. . laugh
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/08/14 05:59 PM

Just scouted the ridge behind my house with hopes of finding a hot white oak tree to hunt early bow season with not a lot of luck. This ridge is always a good producer but not this year. Found no white oaks dropping looking like they had any. A few redoaks were dropping good but not very much sign around them. Zero muscadines either.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/08/14 07:36 PM

Found a few this weekend on one property and I mean a few.
Posted By: TR62

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/08/14 08:32 PM

Only a couple white oaks on my lease dropping. No swamp chestnuts this year. Guess I know where to put a stand though.
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/08/14 09:13 PM

Plenty of acorns in Philly, Ms. I ain't made it to the camp yet, but they telling me the white oaks are loaded. They getting pics of two big 10's on a plot that's about 300 yards from the white oak ridge my camera is on that I had a buddy put up for me. I probably won't make it up there til November to take my little girl though.
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/08/14 09:16 PM

A lot of our northern reds are full this year. I'm not real crazy about red oaks because the deer hardly ever are, but there are some in places that I'd hunt without any acorns, so we'll see how they do after the one white oak I found peters out.
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/08/14 09:37 PM

As mentioned before, I have two really good and really full ones on a ridge over a deep SMZ. I will be putting the Millennium 21ft ladder in tomorrow or friday. Found a few more that are super close to the neighboring lease but they are in thick privet with a really good trail coming into and by them. I will have to find a way in and out without messing with the other club.
Posted By: Bucky205

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/09/14 10:45 AM

I think the lack of rain this summer had a huge impact on our acorn crop here in St Clair. Acorns are very scarce, walked a larger area today covered with White and Red Oaks. Very few trees dropping. Best sign I saw was in a bottom with a stream that still has a trickle.
Posted By: roadkill

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/09/14 10:53 AM

Feels like walking on marbles at my place. Problem is they are all about 100yds from the house. have about twenty white oaks and they are dropping like crazy.
Posted By: I_hate_poachers

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/09/14 11:46 AM

I have a feeling early season will be tough on my place, There are millions of white oak acorns already on the ground, Some persimmons on the ground to, but most of my persimmon trees have not dropped yet, but they are loaded down big time. No reason for my bucks to move, acorns landing in there lap while there on bed

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/09/14 01:30 PM

I didn't think we had any on our club, at least I couldn't see any scouting the past month or so. A few white oaks must have had some in the top of the canopies that I couldn't see because I found a few on the ground this past weekend. Have a Spanish oak that has a fair amount, so there's a stand hanging with a nice view on that ridge. Ready for next week, I took off next Friday and I'm considering taking off Wednesday and Thursday as well, watching the weather before I decide.

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/09/14 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Sulli
I didn't think we had any on our club, at least I couldn't see any scouting the past month or so. A few white oaks must have had some in the top of the canopies that I couldn't see because I found a few on the ground this past weekend. Have a Spanish oak that has a fair amount, so there's a stand hanging with a nice view on that ridge. Ready for next week, I took off next Friday and I'm considering taking off Wednesday and Thursday as well, watching the weather before I decide.

What are you calling a Spanish Oak?

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/09/14 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

Southern red oak- cupped acorns, pointed leaves

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/09/14 02:19 PM

10-4. Just never heard them called that before.

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/09/14 02:23 PM

I was told that by my uncle (logger for 40+ years) & it has stuck. Hunted in a club in Pickens county on a ridge with them and white oaks and the deer were wearing them out over white oak acorns. What do you call them?

Re: Seems to be NO acorns... - 10/09/14 03:02 PM

I was told that by my uncle (logger for 40+ years) & it has stuck. Hunted in a club in Pickens county on a ridge with them and white oaks and the deer were wearing them out over white oak acorns. What do you call them?

If they're southern red oaks, then I call them southern red oaks. I was just curious what you were calling a spanish oak.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM