Aldeer.com

Good grief

Posted By: 40Bucks

Good grief - 09/22/14 10:24 PM

I just realized earlier today that the season is three weeks away and I haven't done anything to tune my bow or arrows or practice shooting. I gotta get on the ball! slap
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Good grief - 09/22/14 10:28 PM

Yes you better....I been shooting for about three week to get my strength back.......

Re: Good grief - 09/22/14 11:08 PM

I'm afraid I won't have much time to get any work in. Maybe I'll find some time.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Good grief - 09/23/14 06:50 AM

What is there to do. I have not adjusted my bow in 5 years. I typically shoot it 3 or 4 times the day before I hunt. I just never understand why people shoot so many practice shots.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Good grief - 09/23/14 07:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Ben2
What is there to do. I have not adjusted my bow in 5 years. I typically shoot it 3 or 4 times the day before I hunt. I just never understand why people shoot so many practice shots.

I do this as well. I use to shoot a lot, but I would over think and really try to fine tune and in the end I was backing up. I agree with ya.

Re: Good grief - 09/23/14 07:16 AM

Its starting to play with my mind. I have yet to kill a deer with a bow.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Good grief - 09/23/14 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Ben2

slap
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Good grief - 09/23/14 12:25 PM

I guess I'm an idot then, I've shot somewhere on the order of 500 shots since I got my bow restrung in April ...
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Good grief - 09/23/14 03:14 PM

Not judging anyone...but I HATE to wound an animal and yet I've still done it on a few ocassions. However, I shoot often and under duress, from many different angles, distances, and try to simulate the stress and environment of a shot in the field. You ever try to pull your bow after running 2-3 miles and doing 5 sets of Max push ups? It'll stress you to make an accurate shot after that work out. Anyway, I said all that to say that I feel I owe it to the animal to make a quick ethical kill. 500 shots would be a very slow month for me. I guess that's why I go through so many bow strings. I must be a Super IDOT.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Good grief - 09/23/14 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: QDMAV8R
Not judging anyone...but I HATE to wound an animal and yet I've still done it on a few ocassions. However, I shoot often and under duress, from many different angles, distances, and try to simulate the stress and environment of a shot in the field. You ever try to pull your bow after running 2-3 miles and doing 5 sets of Max push ups? It'll stress you to make an accurate shot after that work out. Anyway, I said all that to say that I feel I owe it to the animal to make a quick ethical kill. 500 shots would be a very slow month for me. I guess that's why I go through so many bow strings. I must be a Super IDOT.

I just don't shoot unless the deer is under 30 yds and broad side. If they are not like that I just let them walk off. Just cause I don't practice much does not mean I wound deer. Just like a rifle I check them before the season by shooting 3 or 4 shots then it is game time.
Posted By: clarkdeer

Re: Good grief - 09/23/14 10:12 PM

I shoot pretty much year around. But that's because I just enjoy shooting.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Good grief - 09/23/14 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: QDMAV8R

I used to shoot about like you're talking about. now I've got tendinitis and can't even start to pull a bow back
Posted By: Clem

Re: Good grief - 09/23/14 10:28 PM

The muscle memory you build through practice repetition with a bow is wholly different than putting a rifle on the bench, pulling the trigger 3-4 times and making sure the scope is on.

To each his own, though.
Posted By: hopper35005

Re: Good grief - 09/24/14 10:29 AM

Since this is gonna be my first year bowhunting I have been asking alot of advice...I was talking with some old timers the other day about I needed to practice..one of them told me it dont matter how much you practice because.....it is the first shot that counts
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Good grief - 09/24/14 07:24 PM

I used to start shooting in the early summer and shoot 3-5 shots per day and never under "perfect" conditions. Then I fell down a flight of steps and screwed up a bunch of disc in my neck. Got to where I just couldn't pull the bow without it hurting so I put it down and bought a crossbow. I don't practice it much at all but shoot a 1000+ rounds down range with the rifles every year.
Posted By: mackdaddy

Re: Good grief - 09/24/14 09:36 PM

I try to shoot 50 to 100 quality shots.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Good grief - 09/24/14 10:48 PM

wow i guess ijust like to shoot alot. heck i even shoot 3d tournaments in the spring and summer.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM