Aldeer.com

Neck shots?

Posted By: Rocket62

Neck shots? - 08/22/14 02:23 PM

Anybody prefer a neck shot or even consider a neck shot with a bow?

Seems to me that would be a great alternative if the deer is quartering towards and you are high up in a tree
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Neck shots? - 08/22/14 02:30 PM

I'd never even contemplate it. Not saying it's right or wrong. But I wouldn't.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Neck shots? - 08/22/14 02:49 PM

I've attempted 3. One was a miss on a Pope & Young 9pt. A couple of dogs were running him and I had to literally yell at him to stop him. He stopped dead beside a bush at 17 yards with only his head and neck exposed. I should've waited til he took off again, but thought I could hit him. He jumped the string.

The second was a doe at 12 yards facing me head on. She busted me as I drew. She made it 200 yards before bleeding out. This is what a Slick Trick Mag done to her.

The third I lost. I shot her facing and the arrow went all the way through her long ways. She hit a thick cutover and I was never able to find any blood. So it's highly doubtful I'll try anymore next shots.

Re: Neck shots? - 08/22/14 02:59 PM

Interesting ... So if the deer is quartering towards you, you don't take the shot at all? Even if the neck is exposed and the deer hasn't busted you?
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Neck shots? - 08/22/14 03:04 PM

I friend of mine shot 2 does one morning both with neck shots. We never found either of them.

I shot a nice 8 point quartering toward me because he caught wind of me. Looked for him for 4 days and never found him. I'm not going to take another neck shot...

Re: Neck shots? - 08/22/14 03:07 PM

Well there's my answers ... thanks guys
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Neck shots? - 08/22/14 03:19 PM

I have shot one doe quartering towards me, I put the arrow between the shoulder and base of the neck. She was calm and feeding and just would not clear the tree and i knew if i let my draw down she would bust me. I knew I could make the 20yd shot.The rage broke the opposite scapula and she made it 50yds and crashed into the creek deader than a hammer. Only one I have ever attempted. If she had been on alert I probably would have not taken the shot.
Posted By: Hunt_By_Faith

Re: Neck shots? - 08/22/14 03:31 PM

Killed my biggest "bow" buck with a neck shot last season. Shot him about 12-15 yards away...needless to say he dropped in his tracks. No kicking, no running...instant death! Kinda one in a lifetime situation and I was pumped. It happened so fast now that I look back at it..What in the world was I thinking! Bachelor group of 4, after the shot the others continued to feed. Would be lying if I said I didn't think about notching another arrow cool
Posted By: BD

Re: Neck shots? - 08/22/14 10:04 PM

I done it do a pig. Never a deer
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Neck shots? - 08/23/14 01:14 PM

Wouldn't try it. My dad shot a buck that was working a scrape line a few years ago. Around 20yds and the deer caught him drawing and froze. The only shot he had was the neck, so he shot him right in the spine. Thought the deer would drop, but he didn't. Found the arrow and a little blood for about 200yds then nothing. Later that afternoon I smoked a buck crossing a power line about 3/4 mile away from where my dad was hunting. The deer made it about 30yds. When I came up on the deer, he had blood all over his neck. I was confused because I knew I had shot him through the lungs. Rolled him over and there was my entry right behind the shoulder. Turned out it was the same deer. He was walking normal. Skinning him out I found where the broad head had notched his spine but didn't break it.
Posted By: scrape

Re: Neck shots? - 08/24/14 12:21 PM

I shot a doe from 5 yards looking right at me, dead center neck. nothing but meat came out. i wont do that again
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Neck shots? - 08/26/14 08:18 AM

I still don't know what happened to a buck I shot last year. He was just about directly underneath me. I figured if I shot him at the base of the neck next to the shoulder he would drop. Damn was I wrong. The arrow penetrated about 6" and he ran 300 yards before I lost the blood. I'll wait for the shoulder from now on.
Posted By: sluggun

Re: Neck shots? - 08/26/14 09:05 AM

This is a better alturnative to the neck shot. Easy tracking.

Re: Neck shots? - 08/26/14 09:08 AM

Hahahah! That's awesome
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Neck shots? - 08/26/14 09:32 AM

Dang sluggun!
Posted By: Mully

Re: Neck shots? - 08/26/14 10:03 AM

I personally think that a neck shot with a bow or a rifle isn't a very ethical decision. However, I do know that when opportunity presents itself its a total different ball game.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Neck shots? - 08/26/14 10:23 AM

I've done that before too sluggun. Hope you skull mounted her. I mounted mine with the broad head stickin out of her forehead.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Neck shots? - 08/26/14 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: sluggun
This is a better alturnative to the neck shot. Easy tracking.

I hope that wasn't intentional...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Neck shots? - 08/27/14 03:06 PM

Not a good shot with an arrow. Never.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Neck shots? - 08/27/14 03:30 PM

No.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM