Aldeer.com

Help me choose a hunting arrow.

Posted By: M4J0RT0M

Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/17/14 04:06 PM

So I'm wanting to get some new arrows for upcoming season, which will be my first season. I recently bought my first set of "nice" arrows to use for the season but after shooting them for a couple weeks I'm not sure I want to get more of them or different ones.

I bought some Deep Six Easton Carbon Injexions. I like the accuracy but there are several things I don't like as well. First of all they are a little heavier than what I want to shoot. At 29" with a 100 gr tip my finished arrows are about 455 grains. The small diameter is also limiting when it comes to broad heads. They're also pretty dang expensive to replace after busting a couple and losing one.

So what would you guys suggest for some hunting arrows around 400 finished grains. I'm shooting an Obsession Evolution 29.5"/70#. What are the best options out there, anything in the $100 per dozen price range?
Posted By: NortonZ7

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/17/14 04:35 PM

Gold Tip Expedition or XT Hunters. Heck of an arrow and very affordable.
Posted By: TChunter

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/17/14 04:47 PM

My go to arrows are always either Gold tips or Beeman ics. Shooting the beemans right now which i tend to like a little better. Both are great arrows and affordable.
Posted By: clarkdeer

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/17/14 04:52 PM

The Gold Tips are very good for the price. I just wish they would put better graphics on them. I know that want change the way they fly but man I would like for them to look cooler. I'm currently trying out the Carbon Express Reds.

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/17/14 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: clarkdeer
The Gold Tips are very good for the price. I just wish they would put better graphics on them. I know that want change the way they fly but man I would like for them to look cooler. I'm currently trying out the Carbon Express Reds.

How are you liking the reds? I've heard good thing about them but man they're expensive.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/17/14 07:33 PM

Whatever arrow you choose to go with, it needs to be a 300 spine. I've given this advice to a lot of people and you can take it or not, with your draw length I would turn the poundage down to 65# and shoot a 340 spine arrow. You don't need to pull 70# to kill a whitetail. Your bow will tune and shoot much better at 65#. The first time you try to draw on a whitetail after sitting in sub freezing temps for several hours, you will thank me. Don't get too caught up in the speed hype.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/17/14 07:34 PM

If you turn the bow down to 65# and go with a 340 spine arrow, get a Gold Tip XT Hunter 7595.
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/17/14 07:37 PM

Save a few more dollars and get Easton Da'torch. I love em. Light and straight
Posted By: clarkdeer

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/17/14 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: M4J0RT0M

Originally Posted By: clarkdeer

How are you liking the reds? I've heard good thing about them but man they're expensive.

I like them but they don't fly any better for me than the Goldtips did. I have just shot CX for a while and that's what I have confidence in.
Posted By: quailhnter

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/17/14 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpipererp
Save a few more dollars and get Easton Da'torch. I love em. Light and straight
I'm also a torch fan.
Posted By: caveman

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/18/14 01:55 PM

FYI, Gold Tip makes Redhead branded arrows for BPS. Sometimes you can pick up those for a little cheaper than regular Gold Tips. Just like NAP makes the Redhead fixed blade broadhead, the same as a Hellrazor. If you are on a tight budget, you can save a few dollars there.
Posted By: Reptar

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/18/14 03:55 PM

I've shot CX Maximas for 5-6 years now. Made the switch to GT XT Hunters yesterday and I'm very pleased with them so far and less than 2/3s the price of the CX Reds..
Posted By: NortonZ7

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/18/14 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Reptar
I've shot CX Maximas for 5-6 years now. Made the switch to GT XT Hunters yesterday and I'm very pleased with them so far and less than 2/3s the price of the CX Reds..

Same reason I swapped from CX to GT. I've been well pleased too.

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/18/14 08:38 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
Posted By: woodsrider

Re: Help me choose a hunting arrow. - 08/18/14 09:22 PM

I splurged on some Victory VAP3's this year and the penetration is insane. I just thought that my old FMJ's were bad medicine, I can't wait to let the air out of one with these victories. They are lighter than my FMJ's yet penetrate deeper.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM