Aldeer.com

arrow for elk!

Posted By: robinhedd

arrow for elk! - 07/10/14 11:13 AM

Im shooting a Mathews Drenalin 70 lb with PSE Radial X-weave carbon arrows. I'm thinking i need to switch to aluminum's for adde weight for elk. I've got 2213's and 2413's, which one would u go with? Im thinking about shooting 125 grain muzzys or something similar. What do u say?
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/10/14 11:23 AM

Any arrow you would use for a deer will work on an elk.

I would highly suggest using extremely sharp fixed blade heads and make sure not to hit the shoulder.

The last elk I shot with a bow was a 45 yard shot. He was exactly broadside and I got a pass through and the arrow buried deep into the earth on the other side. I was using my same 70lb set-up I use for whitetail here. The only difference was the broadhead. I use Rage on deer and I used a 125 grain 3-blade Muzzy on that elk.

If you do decide to go with an aluminum shaft, I'd choose the one that shoots the best and not be overly concerned about extra weight.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/10/14 11:37 AM

^^^ What he said. thumbup
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/10/14 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Game Hunter
Any arrow you would use for a deer will work on an elk.

YEP!!!

I shoot carbon, 400's topped with a 125gr Thunderhead. Shot 2, both dead. My son's shooting 340's with the same head. A few guys from work shoot 100gr heads, pretty much the same results.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/10/14 01:19 PM

Here's a good link with a pic of the elk's vitals. Double lung is the way to roll. You're pretty much punching in center mass. For the best shot, you want his legs even OR the side your shooting on leg forward. BIG leg bones and arrows do not penetrate...

http://www.elkhunting.com/pages/elk-hunting/elk-info/elk-anatomy
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/10/14 01:28 PM

My arrows is just over 400 grains and that is with a 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy. I am pulling 65 lbs with a KE of 63. It did the job just fine on the bull I killed years ago.

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/11/14 11:14 AM

Hotdog! I found 9 2413's in my stash last night! Brand new, old stock. They are un-cut. I will have to fletch them with vanes. 4 are fletched with feathers, but im going with 4 inch vanes on these. RH
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/11/14 01:38 PM

Maxima Red with a 125 ram cat and and nockturnal
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/11/14 01:52 PM

I wouldn't switch back to aluminum arrows for nothing.
Posted By: wagnon89

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/11/14 07:17 PM

I'm shooting Gold Tip Kinetic XT 300 with 100 gr Slick Trick Magums. They come out to 484 gr total weight at 303 FPS out of a 70 lb Bowtech Carbon Overdrive.
Posted By: Stob

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/11/14 07:31 PM

I'll be using 200gr. Nosler Partitions in Idaho this Oct.

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/11/14 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

I might weigh my PSE Radial X-weaves in the morning. They shoot great with 100 gr slick trick mags out of my Mathews.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/12/14 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: robinhedd

I might weigh my PSE Radial X-weaves in the morning. They shoot great with 100 gr slick trick mags out of my Mathews.

As stated in a previous post, kinetic energy or KE is the number that your after. There are some KE calculators on the internet. Whatever you choose, good luck and have fun.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/12/14 01:53 AM

I would be taking these on your elk hunt.

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/12/14 09:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Shaw

I would be taking these on your elk hunt.

The PSE Radial x weaves with 100 gr slick trick only weighed 352 grains.
2213 XX78 with 100 gr point weighed 450 gr. I'm gonna try the aluminums and see how they shoot!
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/12/14 10:54 AM

You can add weight without going to aluminum. A smaller diameter heavier shaft will penetrate much better than the same weight larger diameter shaft. Also as has been mentioned a good cut on contact, fixed blade head built for penetration would be my choice.
Posted By: ekc

Re: arrow for elk! - 07/13/14 06:20 PM

I use Easton FMJ for elk with G5 Montecs and Magnus stingers. I have killed 4 elk with this setup. Complete pass thru on all shots
© 2024 ALDEER.COM