Aldeer.com

Stabilizers ?

Posted By: Grasshopper

Stabilizers ? - 05/05/14 08:00 PM

What is the purpose of the stabilizer .. Balance I'm sure but how do I know what weight to get or length .. I'm shooting an Energy 32 .. It feels a little top heavy .
It's dead in the hand , no vibration ..
Out at 30 yrds I'm a little shaky .. What do I need ..
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/05/14 08:18 PM

Posted By: sluggun

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/05/14 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Grasshopper

Out at 30 yrds I'm a little shaky .. What do I need ..

more practice

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/05/14 08:53 PM

True !

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/05/14 08:54 PM

So does more weight help

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/05/14 08:56 PM

Yes

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/06/14 09:00 PM

Thanks Shaw .. I stopped at Wiley's on my way home from work and bought a bee stinger 6" sport hunter .. Got a lot better on my groups ! But I notice my peep was to high ... That was my real issue I think ... I managed to slide it down .. Working to get everything right ..

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/06/14 09:32 PM

thumbup Close your eyes, come to draw and open your eyes. If you have to move your head up or down, adjust the peep height.

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/06/14 10:03 PM

I think I got it set now .. I've learn tho anchor point is very important .. I was a little off and I shot all over the place at distance .. Up close not so much .. As I backed out to get my 30 wow .. I'm shooting a lot better now ! ..
Posted By: BrotherTurtle

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/07/14 07:07 AM

It may be a little nerdy or make me look like a total newb (which I am), but I like mine much better after adding a kisser button. After I was anchored correctly, adjusting the peep was next, and then my pins. I ain't where I need to be, but work has kept me from shooting as much as I want to. Still, I feel a lot more consistent with my form and my groups are getting better.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/07/14 04:09 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but, for a hunting bow, a 4-6in stabilizer's not gonna do a lot for ya, correct?? I would think you need 8-12in to help improve the 40-60yd shots. I know that's where I'm leaning at this time anyway. I've been browsing, prolly getting a new sight/stabilizer this summer. Be like a new bow, lol

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/07/14 06:01 PM

Yes it can. It's just a matter of personal feel. Used to, the main reason people ran stabilizers on a hunting rig was to absorb vibration. With the way today's bows are that really isn't needed. Adding the right amount of weight in the right area can improve your accuracy. How much just depends on the shooter. Some people are happy with baseball size groups at 30 yards, while some want quarter size groups.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/07/14 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
Yes it can. It's just a matter of personal feel. Used to, the main reason people ran stabilizers on a hunting rig was to absorb vibration. With the way today's bows are that really isn't needed. Adding the right amount of weight in the right area can improve your accuracy. How much just depends on the shooter. Some people are happy with baseball size groups at 30 yards, while some want quarter size groups.

Thanks, I'm thinking of one a 'lil bigger to see if things tighten up at 40-50. I'm pretty much the same out to 30 or so with or without stab...
Posted By: TChunter

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/08/14 12:56 PM

Shaw, I got an Scoil I like pretty good but my bows dead as far as vibration anyways. I feel like I could use a little more out front (story of my life), maybe one of those would help. Ive never had a stabilizer that long. Would 8" be a good start? Interested in tightening up 60+ yard shooting.

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/08/14 01:32 PM

Yep that would be a good size for a hunting rig. Might benefit more from a 10" or 12", but they tend to get in they way in hunting situations. I'm running an 8" B-Stinger on my Z7 and a 6" on my Q2.
Posted By: headshot

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/09/14 10:31 AM

with vibration not being a problem. i made a 9 ounce Ball to take the place of my stabilizer. i use the same bow for tournaments that i hunt with. I had A 30 inch Kill Zone stabilizer (that i make) on for tournaments. when i took it off i was lifting my bow arm when i shot. I don't like to hunt with a stabilizer so i made the ball,it worked Great.
Posted By: Haybale

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/11/14 01:29 PM

Shaw what do you think about the 12" doinker stablizer?

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/11/14 02:07 PM

Doinkers are good stabilizers, but a little on the expensive side. They have a model similar to the B-Stinger Sport Hunter. For me, a 12" stabilizer is too long for a hunting rig.
Posted By: TChunter

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/11/14 02:43 PM

But would it work for regular sized people?

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/11/14 04:05 PM

rolleyes
Posted By: Goldhill1

Re: Stabilizers ? - 05/14/14 06:01 PM

I just got back into archery (bowhunting) myself, and went with a 10" Beestinger for my Obsession Evolution. Seems to work great! Not sure anything less than 8" will do much for you (that's what she said!).
© 2024 ALDEER.COM