Aldeer.com

? For bow hunters

Posted By: I_hate_poachers

? For bow hunters - 10/28/13 09:04 AM

First off my bow is neither a speed demon or stealthy, pretty loud actually. When shooting long shots, 35-45 yards, do you compensate for the deers reaction on every shot? I missed a nice 6 point yesterday afternoon at 40 yards, my arrow went rite were I was aiming, but when my bow went off the deer torqued downward before he leaped away and ducked the arrow, I'm talking about barely missing, it actually fuzzed some hair off his back I believe.

Should I aim a fuzz low on these long shots? Or is it just a thing that happens every now and then?
Another thing is my bow is pulling 57#, should I even be taking 40 yard shots pulling that weight?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: ? For bow hunters - 10/28/13 09:05 AM

57# is plenty for 40 yard shots, but ya need a quiet bow. I always aim low.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: ? For bow hunters - 10/28/13 09:25 AM

The speed and loudness is why they're ducking your arrow, not the poundage. Try aiming at the heart at long distances. I have aimed below a doe before at 20 yards that already spotted me. I knew she would drop and even then she almost ducked it. Good luck. There is an easy fix to your problem. Haha
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: ? For bow hunters - 10/28/13 09:38 AM

I always aim at heart out past 20 yards
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: ? For bow hunters - 10/28/13 10:10 AM

Aim at the heart. I would cut down on the distance if it were me. Loud and slow are not good on long shots. LOL

I realize I am making an assumption on the lack of speed.

My bow is super quiet and okay on speed (260+). And yet, I still rarely take a shot over 30 yards and almost never over 35.
Posted By: I_hate_poachers

Re: ? For bow hunters - 10/28/13 10:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've got a youth bow, plan on upgrading as soon as I'm able. It's a diamond infinite edge, no clue how fast it really shoots, less than 250 fps if I had to guess.

I normally would not take shots that long either, but I watched them bucks for twenty plus minutes, and light was starting to fade, so I took the shot, it was in the wide open, back edge of field. The other buck was at 30 yards but he was only a 1.5 year old basket rack.
Posted By: NickC

Re: ? For bow hunters - 10/28/13 10:43 AM

At 40yrds Id have at least slung a stick at it too. I do have the luxury of a quiet bow even if it is a bit slow (probably around the same speed as yours). Give that spot a week or more to rest and they will probably be back.
Posted By: BOHNTR

Re: ? For bow hunters - 10/28/13 05:59 PM

There are very few instances (and distances) that I don't aim low! I have been ducked too many times in bow hunting career. In my experience, at 20 yds and out a Alabama deer is gonna react, some worse than others. I aim at the hairline of the chest. If it's minimal duck, it's heart. If it's more, double lung. If it's none, usually clean miss or just a shaving. smile
Posted By: t123winters

Re: ? For bow hunters - 10/28/13 07:13 PM

I shoot a pretty fast/quiet bow and if I am taking a longer than normal shot I will always aim low,one thing to keep in mind when shooting at any distance is the attitude of the deer.If he/she is wired up,they will react to even the quietest of bows. Another good tip for longer shots with a slower bow is to go to the next pin up,for 40 yard shot use the 30 yard pin and put it on your intended mark with the reaction of the deer they will usually fall rite into your arrow. Best advice would be to know your equipment and your limit,good luck on your next hunt.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM