Aldeer.com

slick trick bh blades breaking?

Posted By: Blackhawk

slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 12:37 AM

has any of y'all heard of slick trick razor tricks blades breaking in the middle?it seems that hitting heavy bone they have broke i found this on the internet.i was thinking i don't shoot high poundage into heavy bone, heck i can't shoot high poundage i am too weak.like my doctor Richard porter field hull say s to me mike don't read so much on the internet. i think he is worried i would replace him. he is a nut. he told me to not hunt the same woods he is in.lol i laugh and said Dr i won't miss you. reading is is good brain food:)
Posted By: Shaw

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 12:51 AM

You believe everything you read on the internet? grin Truth is, any of them can break or fail when hitting heavy bone. The only blade I have ever broken on one shooting a deer was on a Rocky Mountain Titanium. That's because it went through the shoulder blades of a 195# Mississippi 7pt. I've broken plenty of blades on all brands by hitting them with other heads while practicing. I sent a Muzzy 3 blade through the skull of a doe once and it didn't even hurt the broadhead. She was quartered away at 35 yards and jumped the string. The arrow went over the body and hit her in the back of the head as she turned to run.
Posted By: phantom

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 02:09 PM

The only slick trick i have broken was after it passed thru a deer and hit a rock in the ground.. Even then only chipped a blade.. i love their heads i think they are awesome. i have a bunch of them on my fireplace mantle. i usually retire them after i shoot a deer with one..

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: phantom
The only slick trick i have broken was after it passed thru a deer and hit a rock in the ground.. Even then only chipped a blade.. i love their heads i think they are awesome. i have a bunch of them on my fireplace mantle. i usually retire them after i shoot a deer with one..
thanks for your info, no i am not as nieve as shaw thinks, after looking at the replacement blade they have a lot of holes that is weak spots, and with them only being .035 thick i can understand under that kind of force yep they can break it depend on the carbon content of the metal as to how brittle it is, they can break instead of bend. thanks for your reply grin i read they whistle kinda bad too:( sick
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 02:45 PM

Mine don't whistle at all. All fixed blade replaceable type heads have holes to cut down on weight. They are thicker than most fixed heads. They fly great. Only one I have broken was on a sandstone rock after passing through a raccoon. Those heads are the best, toughest fixed blade on the market, period, and I have shot a lot of fixed heads.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 04:00 PM

Matt i thank you for your experience an d wisdom. i have gone back to bass pro shop to fix my error i ordered what at first was 6 bh from them for $15.99 which i looked closer as it was those are replacement blade, then i went back in after i settled down and ordered 1 pack of 3 broad heads for 29.99 which is still a penny cheaper than slick trick site are except for shipping, so with all my chasing my tail i now own 9 razor tricks which will be here this week.i have tracking info on the first 6 i ordered from slick tricks they will be her tomorrow according to USPS. and soon 6 replacement blades like a dummy i need to slow down and look closer instead of wasting money i don't have to waste. anyway i am excited with these new heads.:)matt if you need replacement blade after my screw up let me know i can fix you up if you trust memy main issue is i am old and have neurons in my brain that is damaged fro my stroke i first thought i was doing good then i found out i screwed up so i fixed it based on my paperwork i have 112 cx arrows i need bh's for and 9 gold tips i need bh besides the rage and grim reapers for i don't believe i am shooting enough power for them to work good, then at home with my crossbow arrows i have 6 Excalibur bolt cutters150 grain, and 6 muzzy mx3's125 grain so i might be able to get going without buying more stuff.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 04:27 PM

All fixed blade replaceable type heads have holes to cut down on weigh i am such a dummy i can't believe i messed up that bad, nothing to waste i helped the conservation funds today buying blades and broad heads.:) and paying sales tax on it.All fixed blade replaceable type heads have holes to cut down on weigh / true that is why i don't shoot thunder heads any more even this deft guy can hear them

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 07:46 PM

copied from Dr Ed Ashby web site it is his studies and reasearch involved here, read and studied this subject referencing many different sources. It is confusing at best. The terms Kinetic Energy and Momentum, while different are used simultaneously and interchangeably to describe the energy of the bow and arrow. The explanation you will get on this site is an over simplification or synopsis of the subject. For an in-depth technical discussion please refer to the recommended readings listed below.

Kinetic energy is really a measurement of the total energy an arrow and broad head develop at a given moment of time while being delivered by a particular bow. The reason the measurement is only at a particular moment is that as soon as the arrow is released, and until it hits the intended target, it is continually losing speed. As the velocity decreases so will the Kinetic energy. This reinforces the assertion that KE is a measurement of energy for the bow as this will be the place of the highest KE measurement and the lowest measurement will be at the target.
The KE measurement is a useful measurement when comparing different arrow and broad head combinations shot from the same bow or determining how much energy a bow creates. It is not a practical measurement to determine what effect the arrow will have in penetrating an animal. Some archers swear by KE and believe that only a bow delivering a certain amount of KE should be used for hunting purpose. This is contrary to what the KE formula tells us.

The kinetic energy formula is:

“1/2 Mass times velocity squared” or “KE = (1/2 M) x (V2)”

For your convenience use the inter-active formula below to

[url=calculathttp://www.tuffhead.com/education/formulas_FOC.][url=calculathttp://www.tuffhead.com/education/formulas_FOC.][url=calculathttp://www.tuffhead.com/education/formulas_FOC.]calculathttp://www.tuffhead.com/education/formulas_FOC.[/url][/url][/url] KE

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 08:10 PM

using his calculator i have 54.35 ft lbs of ke with my setup which is plenty to kill a deer.i will be shooting 365.3 grains of mass at maybe 260fps. if i am lucky with the razor tricks i should based on Dr Ed Ashby information and what Matt Brock has told me, i don't know physics i never took it in school. it is Greek to me. i do know from years of experience with 45 pound re curve and bear razor head s i have a winner dead deer will follow.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 08:43 PM

I'm sorry I misread your post Blackhawk. My experience is with the standard and magnum blades. With that said the razor tricks are an excellent choice.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 08:43 PM

DR ED ASHBY Headhunter you are hunting the largest game found on the plains of Africa or hunting whitetail deer, moose, elk, antelope, bear, bison, or hogs in the forest, and mountains of North America the TuffHead™ will be the only broad head you will ever need.

You can hunt with confidence, knowing that The TuffHead™ will fly true, and perform flawlessly.

The TuffHead™ can be glued directly on the arrow or screwed in with an adapter. Made of 420HC stainless steel, this tough 3 to 1 ratio laminated head is designed with a cut-on-contact 30 degree tanto tip, and is ground with a single-bevel, 25 degree, factory sharp cutting edge.

Dimensions:TuffHead tip with dimensions
The TuffHead™ is 3 3/16 inches long by 1 1/16 inches wide at the widest point for a 3:1 ratio. This ratio has been proven over a long time as the ultimate design for flight, penetration and high mechanical advantage. The high MA of 3.0 intensifies, or adds to the ability of the broad head to penetrate its target.

Tuffhead™ Weight:
The TuffHead™ is the “Heavy Weight of Broad heads™“ and is offered in two distinct weights. At .060 thousandths thick the TuffHead ™ weighs in at 225 grains. At .080 thousandths thick it is 300 grains. Both broad heads have the same basic dimension that is 3 3/16 long x 1 1/16 wide.250 & 300 Grain Tuffhead

The TuffHead™ is the only broad head on the market that is designed to give wood arrow shooters an opportunity to increase their arrow weight into the desired weight thresholds (over 650 grains) for increased penetration of both soft and hard tissue. Using the TuffHead™ archers can create ( FOC ) weight forward of center hunting arrows also increasing penetration. For a discussion on the benefits of increased arrow weight visit our education/formulas_momentum.html page.

The TuffHead also lends itself and has found a niche with modern arrow enthusiast. When using the TuffHead™ in conjunction with a 75 grain, 100 grain, and a 125 grain steel broadhead adapter, for arrows that except only screw-on style points, the archer can obtain weights of 300 to 425 grains with many variations in between. With this flexibility the hunter can experiment and obtain arrows weights that meet FOC, EFOC and Ultra EFOC standards. See education/Formulas_FOC.html for a discussion on this subject

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 08:59 PM

thos would be like using a spear they are so big. i feel mat t an i have the model of st's i am using the razor tricks i feel that they will be good for my setup at 54.3 pound of kinetic energy, and 35 pound draw weight.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 09:14 PM

MATT I LOVE AND AGREE WITH YOUR QUOTE I READ A LOT SOMETIMES MAYBE NOT THE RIGHT THING I HAVE YET TO FIND GUIDANCE ON WHICH BROAD HEAD TO USE IN THE BIBLE:)ISSAC SAID TAKE UP YOUR QUIVER AND BOW TO THE FIELD AND GET ME SOME VENISON THAT TOLD ME HE LOVES DEER MEAT ISAAC SAID LIKE ME I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT THAT:) HE SAID MAKE IT SAVORY I DO:)IN Genesis CHAPTER27: VERSE 3 PRAISE JESUS I FOUND INFO ABOUT HUNTING I GAVE TO MY WIFE THAT WEARS ME THIN ABOUT MY OCD OVER HUNTING.I AM SURE SHE WOULD FELL DIFFERENT IF I WORKED FOR DCNR.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 09:21 PM

WTF, confused X a bunch

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
WTF, confused X a bunch
2 DOG I AM SORRY YOU CAN'T READ AND THERE IS NO PICTURES thumbup

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 09:41 PM

IN THIS CASE DON'T ASK.LEARN TO USE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE BESIDE WTF.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/30/13 10:37 PM

Blackhawk, to be honest with you, with a 35# draw weight shooting a 365.3 arrow you're going to be extremely lucky to even get 40 ft. lbs. of KE. You will not come close to getting to 260fps with that set up. You will be lucky to shoot 220fps. But, with the right cut on contact head, you will not have any problems taking down a deer. Most of my hunting set up's have never reached 260fps and I'm pulling 62 to 63#.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 02:27 AM

either way draw blood and the deer will die, speed only matters to some people not this one penetration/ momentum matters like troy on the swamp people say choot um, choot um.is fine with me.my muzzle loader is not as fast as my 243 but it hits the deer like a mach truck. so speed does not matter i like shooting heavy arrows they make the bow quitter think of momentum if you have heavy sharp mass hitting your target it will hurt something, can kill it.the lack of speed does not bother me i have killed many deer with a 45 pound re curve using the Bear 145 grain heads on fiber glass shafts
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk
IN THIS CASE DON'T ASK.LEARN TO USE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE BESIDE WTF.

ROFL
Sorry, I and I bet some others was having a little trouble following your chain posts. But, "LEARN TO USE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE....." good one.
Carry on.
Posted By: Hoss606

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 08:51 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs

I bet some others was having a little trouble following your chain posts.

X2

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 11:08 AM

those chain post as you call them is a lot of time between them i don't have any control over that any way the racking number show my broad heads will be here tomorrow, i am done for today posting.:the best way to follow post is to start at the top and read down.i have done that here until some of them got deleted somehow. then it is hard to figure out what is being talked about.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 01:23 PM

A sharp broadhead will do damage especially a fixed broadhead most of the mechanicals are not super sharp.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 03:21 PM

i have yet to put my hand on a expandable that i felt was sharp enough to bow hunt with most sre dull. i called slick tricks and laughingly ask ammy if they send out ban-aids with the razor trick. lol she said she would if i request them.:)

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 03:35 PM

the carbon expres, the crush 350 arrows weigh 9.5 GPI, with that info i am looking at 9.5X 26.8"=241.87 then throw in a 100 grain broad head and 25 grain nocturnals so i was wrong on the 365 gain arrowsjust like i was wrong on the speed of my bow. i do know it shoots 310 fps at 70 pounds with a 30" shaft.BUT IF I SHOOT MY MUZZY HEADS THEY ARE125.0 GRAINS THAT WILL GIVE ME THE WEIGHT SPOKE OF EARLIER 366. GRAIN. TOTAL WEIGHT TO INCLUDE THE NOCTURNAL S, I LIKE THEM GREEN LIGHTS:)267/8" IS 26.8"DERN CLOSE TO 27" thumbup CLOSE ENOUGH TO KILL

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 03:51 PM

MY ALPINE SHOOTS 280FPS ON A CHRONOY USING XX75 2113 AND 125 MUZZY. I HAVE CHECKED THEM ON THAT BUT RIGHT NOW I CAN'T DRAW 74# SO I WILL SHOOT MY JUNK BOW THIS DIAMOND INFINITE EDGE IS NOT A JUNK BOW, IT IS VERY QUITE, ACCURATE, AND QUICK FOR WHAT IT IS I HAVEnot CHRONOGRAPHED IT YET , BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IT IS ACTUALLY DOING.:)

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 05:59 PM

my wing span is 64 inches divided by 2.5 gives me 267/8" which on my calculator s 26.8 if i am right this time.:)

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 06:18 PM

64 divided by 2.5 equals 25.6 there Blackhawk. To get 26.8 your wingspan would have to be 67. I think your calculator is lying to you. wink

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 06:49 PM

shaw it has been so long the we measured me i bet you righ i guees that 67 sound right now that you mention it my sweet sexy razor trick was in the mail box YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO now i can see how many times i will get cut i guess they knew i am a sticker freak i now have a slick tricks sticker

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 06:54 PM

How tall are you? On a normally proportioned person, their wingspan measures very close to their height. Oh, you need to buy a new calculator. grin
Posted By: Reaper

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 06:57 PM

wink

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 07:02 PM

i am 5'10" tall my calculator is the same as yours, i works fine if i put junk in it i wil get junk out.:)

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 07:05 PM

Unless you've got tiny arms, your draw should be closer to 28".

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 07:13 PM

we measured my arm span in April i have gone to sleep several times since then.your is broke it says 1+1=3 when i wen to school one plus one is two 2:)OK this razor tricks blades are .040thousands thick not .035" thick it says so on the package.got a picture of a razorback hog on it.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 07:25 PM

i agree that is what i drew many years ago was 28" arrows this weekend if the wife comes and get me i will measure my arrows, and have her to measure my wing span again these dead bolt screws are tiny. it comes with a screw driver no lady i am trying to fix my truck.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 07:39 PM

i got two put together i am not bleeding yet. they are very sharp making me very nervous . my hands are not steady.don't drop a screw they are soo tiny.no way, i lost one acrew in the carpet they are so tiny and stainless steel s i can't use a magnet to find it.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 07:49 PM

they should give us old folks extra screws no way to do this in the woodsgood thing oi ordered 6 heads, in the other pack there are 4 screws in there i guess they heard me lol praise Jesus i will still be one short in the long run.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 08:00 PM

its not in my left shoe how do they expect a man with a paralized hand to put these things together if i had my 1/2 gal of jd i could put these sucks together.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 08:13 PM

i feel like a cat amongst a bunch of pit bulls, that have not ate in two days.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 08:26 PM

as long as i don't drop any more i am good i have three broad head put together, i hope the pack of replacement blades comes with screws, i might need them

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 08:38 PM

it says on the placard it slices thru deer like a mean ole razor back hog i guess they will be fine i do know they are very very sharp and .040" thick instead of the original .035" thick blades so they may take more abuse than some bladesin my second pack of broad heads allowed me to get my first set of brad heads done even for my fumble finger trying to get the screws in the third bh.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
How tall are you? On a normally proportioned person, their wingspan measures very close to their height. Oh, you need to buy a new calculator. grin
i see where you went with that math, but when i bought the diamond i told connar to set it up for that , when i got down there it was way off so we moved the module to 5, according to diamond book it is 26 7/8" at 5, but i agree i know in the past i draw 28"i don't think i shrunk:)

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 07/31/13 10:40 PM

with the bow modules set at 5 and when i drew the arrow during shooting with the trophy taker on, it didn't shoot my hand the arrows stayed on the rest. with a small amount sticking ahead of the launcher.after chris atcoultas at backwater outdoors put the trophy taker on my bow and set it up, we cut my arrows, then put in the new insert, i shot my bow after he shot it. it worked great. he said he liked the bow, then handed it to me too shoot to see if we needed to adjust the sight anymore.all in all i think as far as i can tell it is ready to kill.the length of my gold tips was cut when i was shooting the bear strike set at 28" draw. at 70 pound my high country is setup for 28" draw with all that said my present arrows are probably too short. the bow shot great, i nailed the bulls eye.. my form was ok he usually tells me if my form is off.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 08/01/13 06:32 PM

YOO SONNY ! ! ! !I WONDER WHAT HAPPENED TO MY DRAW LENGTH?YOU HAD IT GOING ON YESTERDAY. THEN DROPPED IT?I CALLED BACKWATER OUTDOORS TWICE TRYING TO CATCH CHRIS TO SEE WHAT HE CUT MY ARROWS TOO.I BET YOUR SPOT ON WITH THE 28" DRAW FOR MR I LOOKED INTO THE DIAMOND OWNERS MANUAL TO FIND THE SETTING FOR MY MODULES TO GET 28" I WAS ALL AROUND IT BUT DIDN'T FIND JUST 28"
MY MODULES ARE SET AT 5 FIVE.LAST NIGHT I GOT TO THINKING I WOULD RAISE THE POUNDAGE UP A GOOD BITE, SINCE I HAVE THI BOW FIT EXERCISER, I HAVE BEEN WEARING OU. THAT MIGHT HAPPEN THIS WEEKEND I AM NOT GOING TO BOTTOM THE LIMB BOLTS JUST YET BUT I WILL BEFORE OCTOBER.

Re: slick trick bh blades breaking? - 08/04/13 01:32 PM

12 not 112 cx arrows, my bad dern fingers need to pay attentioni measured my arrows they are 28" all of them so with that said my modules on my bow is indexed wrong should be 3 instead of 5, sorry laughup
© 2024 ALDEER.COM