Aldeer.com

Bow for new shooter

Posted By: MarCounty

Bow for new shooter - 12/27/22 04:41 PM

Hi everyone,

My son is wanting to get into bow hunting.
He is about to turn 16 and is about 5’7” and 145 lbs.

What would you guys recommend for a starter bow that he could grow into and learn with?
He got some Christmas money and it is currently burning a hole in his pocket.
Is $400 enough for a good foundational bow?

FYI - I do not do any bow hunting, so that is why I am reaching out to you guys.

Thanks
Posted By: grundan

Re: Bow for new shooter - 12/27/22 05:15 PM

Almost any of the brands will serve him well. Brands aside, get a bow that fits him and is comfortable to draw and shoot. If it is fun to shoot he will continue to shoot hopefully for decades
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Bow for new shooter - 12/27/22 05:16 PM

https://missionarchery.com/bows/radik/

https://missionarchery.com/bows/hammr/

Re: Bow for new shooter - 12/27/22 05:26 PM

Thank you gentleman.
Anything to avoid?
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Bow for new shooter - 12/28/22 04:52 PM

Would you consider a used bow all set up and ready to hunt. It's an older bow (High Country) but in excellent shape with new string, release, hard case, arrows, extra muzzy 100gr broadheads, and probably some other stuff. I've killed 3 or 4 deer with it with the last one being a decent 7pt. I doubt I'll ever bow hunt again and I'm willing to let it go. I'm about your son's build (height not weight!) so I'm sure this is set up almost spot on for him with regard to draw length. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get some pics.
Posted By: odocoileus

Re: Bow for new shooter - 12/29/22 03:50 PM

I've got an older High Country single cam(almost positive it is) that was given to me and I am willing to give it to him. The only caveat is that it has probably never had a new string on it, so would definitely get a new string and set up. Come in a hard case and has sight and rest but probably needs to be upgraded.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Bow for new shooter - 12/29/22 07:50 PM

Load him and take him Larry Odell's close to Sardis he will get him fixed up

Re: Bow for new shooter - 12/29/22 11:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.
He talked his uncle out of his bow.

Probably a win-win.
Gives him a new reason to get a new setup.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM