Aldeer.com

Exclusive Bowhunters

Posted By: Nightwatchman

Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 03:35 PM

Has anyone here committed to exclusively bowhunting?

I want to commit to it, but can't imagine what it would feel like to have ole big boy sauntering around out there at 75 yards when I could legally be carrying a rifle.

What's yall's take on it?
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 03:37 PM

I did it for about 4 years.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 03:38 PM

I’ve had enough disappointments during bow season…im taking a rifle when I can
Posted By: jb20

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 03:39 PM

I sometimes still take both
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 03:43 PM

I did..not on purpose..just didnt have anywhere to carry a rifle…it made me a lot better woodsman..now i carry a gun whenever its practical..but id still rather kibosh stuff with a bow. If you learn enough about the woods..big boy might walk by one day at 75yds..but the next time i climb hell be in range..deer are creatures of habit..that alone will end them.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 03:50 PM

Not me. For the last 12 years I'm bow only for bull elk. I'll fill damage tags with gun and deer hunt with a gun. Early archery deer here is during elk season and I'm not killing a deer here on an elk hunt.
If I get my Idaho tags for next year, I'll hope to be carrying a deer and elk archery tag.
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

What's your take on it?
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nightwatchman
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

What's your take on it?

It’s challenging. You don’t realize, or I didn’t, how hard it is to hide in a stand in January. I only did it those years, cause I had access to good land. My odds of seeing shooter bucks was higher. Now, not so much. There’s more skill/luck in killing a rutting buck in Alabama(maybe the South in general) than a rifle by a long shot(no pun intended). 😂

Scouting for late season bow hunting made me a better hunter, I feel like. It ain’t for everybody.

Posted By: PYhunter

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 05:09 PM

After rolling the idea around in my head for a couple of years I made the switch to exclusively bowhunting around 20 years ago.

The exact day was when I grunted in a wide 9 point and shot him with a 7MM standing 5 yards from the base of the tree I was in. I was backed up to a big creek and he came across it and was under me before I knew it. I didn't get the shakes or fast heartbeat like I do when when I get one with a bow. That's when I knew it was time.

I haven't regretted the decision.
Posted By: RCHRR

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 05:17 PM

I’ve carried a gun about 3 times in 20 yrs and those were when one or the other of my sons were with me and they actually had the gun. So yeah I exclusively bow hunt.
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 05:19 PM

I have been for 6 seasons now. Recurve or longbow only
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 07:35 PM

I hunt exclusively with a longbow.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 08:01 PM

Since the early 90s.
I even buy gun tags for Illinois so that I can bow hunt with friends that gun hunt.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 08:15 PM

Not exclusive because I occasionally go to some private land with friends, but other than that I only hunt Wheeler and that's bow only. As mentioned, bow hunting in late season gets tricky.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 08:23 PM

I did it for about 8 years.
Posted By: fillmore

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 08:57 PM

Not exclusive but close. Probably 80/20 bow to gun
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/23/22 09:50 PM

Yep, don’t bother me a bit if a buck is hung up at 75 yards and no shot. I just try to get closer the next time.
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/24/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by JD_Bowhunter1976
Yep, don’t bother me a bit if a buck is hung up at 75 yards and no shot. I just try to get closer the next time.

I have missed out on a lot of great bucks cause of my recurve. Doesn’t bother me
Posted By: EmeraldTides

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/24/22 02:06 AM

Not exclusively, but if I'm hunting an area that's practical for a bow (max shots <50 yards) than I'll bring my bow, which is the majority of the time since I hunt pretty thick stuff. It's cost me a couple good deer, but I'm going to get it done this year for sure.
Posted By: ShaftOne

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/24/22 03:35 AM

I’m not fully committed but I’m about 80/20. I enjoy bow hunting much more than rifle. With the baiting law now, it makes it a lot easier sitting 30 yards from the pile with a bow vs 100 with a rifle. Most of the people I hunt with think I’m crazy hunting with a bow during rifle season. As far as him being hung up out there out of range, that is just going to be part of bow hunting, but that’s what makes it so special to me.
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/24/22 12:52 PM

I do. I just don’t enjoy killing one with a rifle anymore. Not much of a challenge to me anymore. I did miss a good one at 50 with a bow the other day. Still don’t care enough to take the rifle. My boy has pretty much taken my .270 from me anyway.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/24/22 01:56 PM

I’ve threatened it a few years. I still carry a rifle some but will continue to bow hunt a good bit. If I’m hunting woods or fields I usually carry a bow now. If cutovers or large areas I will likely carry a rifle. Like has already been mentioned, it’s a lot more challenging than you think trying to draw on deer undetected with no leaves on the trees. Cover becomes very important. It’s not much of a challenge for me anymore killing mature deer with a rifle. I’ll hunt specific deer but killing a mature deer is not really that difficult with a gun.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/24/22 08:00 PM

I did for a while, but after watching bucks chase does in the clearcut I started carrying again. I will still bow hunt some on the greenfields
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/24/22 10:00 PM

Nope!!!
Posted By: PoohBear

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/25/22 02:32 AM

I haven't carried a rifle to the woods since 2009. Now I'm not what you would call a diehard dedicated deer hunter, never have been, but purchased the Mathews Drenalin in 2007 and never looked back. Then bought a Samick Sage and I've had fun shooting it. Just need to go more than I do, only have 2 bow kills, 1 miss, and 3 should of/would of/could of opportunities. Shot the bow yesterday actually. Just love being in the woods!
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/25/22 03:14 AM

I was an 80% bow hunter the past few years but this year I’m closer to 25%.

a bow harvest is more rewarding but I’m only able to probably hunt 25% of what I have the past few years so I’m gonna take the rifle more to increase my chances.
Posted By: brett.smith

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/26/22 11:42 PM

I did it for several years when I was shooting tourneys but now I never carry a bow
Posted By: FlyinRN

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/27/22 02:21 AM

I’ve toted a gun about 5 times over the last 3 years. If I tote a gun the weather is just too crappy to bow hunt and I don’t want to sit at home that day. I just don’t care anything about shooting one with a gun anymore. I used to tell myself, I’d never kill a P&Y deer if I didn’t have a bow with me.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/27/22 06:25 PM

I hunted with a bow only for about 15 years and I killed a ton of deer. I hunted WMAs and usually had them all to myself. I never wore orange as there was no requirement when it was bow only. I loved the challenge and it did not matter to me if was a doe or a buck-they were deer and I was mad at them. I always climbed pine trees for the cover once the leaves dropped and I managed to keep killing deer all the way to the season's end. I was working the midnight shift for most of these years and I would sleep until about 1:00. Head to the woods at about 2 and come back home and get a nap before work if I was not successful.

I loved being all to myself and I never had an encounter with another hunter during that period of time who wanted to hunt where I was. Most everyone quit bowhunting when the gun season started so I had it to myself. If I was in my 30's again I would do it all over, but being in my 60s doesn't have the same meaning as it did then. I only had a couple of deer that I did not get to kill because they were out of range. If I saw a good buck, he would usually be in the same area again so I hunted closer to where I had seen him as deer are creatures of habit. It never bothered me not killing one that was too far-that is why they call it hunting and not shooting.

My son is almost all bow now in Alabama and has killed some great deer with the bow. I think he remembers me bowhunting only when he was a child. He is a good one when it comes to killing deer.
Posted By: BruteX

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/27/22 06:25 PM

Used to be but this year I’ve taken an interest in ballistics so I’ve rifle hunted twice
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/28/22 02:53 AM

I bought my first bow for Christmas in 1991 and bowhunted in 1992 and killed 3. I never carried a gun again for deer for the next 20 years or so. I have since gone with what is in season, but sometimes will carry a bow in gun season.
Posted By: JohnG

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/28/22 01:22 PM

Knew a guy that was forced to due to a felony.
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/28/22 05:22 PM

I've only taken a rifle maybe 10 times in the past 4 years and most of those were because of one really big deer I had been chasing and would have been happy to kill with a gun. Bow hunting is so rewarding when it all comes together. I'm content watching a mature buck walk by out of bow range during gun season. I hunt some low pressure places and I've been fortunate to kill several mature bucks with a bow the past few years so that makes it a little easier to leave the gun at home. Nothing against killing with a gun but killing one with a bow is a little more special to me now.

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/28/22 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by JohnG

I knew a guy that went muzzleloader only for the same reason.
However, 99% sure a muzzleloader is just as bad as a centerfire in the eyes of the law.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/29/22 02:29 PM

It’s not. A good friend of mine is a felon and hunted with a muzzle loader after making dang sure it was ok. However, if I remember he had to do some research to get the answer.
Posted By: crocker

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/29/22 09:00 PM

Mostly bow hunt unless weather is bad. Only thing I dont like about it is getting winded. Odds of educating deer go way up when you trying to get them within 30 yds vs watching a powerline with a rifle.
Posted By: redgineer

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/29/22 09:41 PM

Nope, but I'm just a dirty x-bow hunter lol. I only use it to hunt public land close to home. I shot a deer at 15 yards from the ground with my rifle the other day, and it was pretty exciting. Getting close on the ground is how I get my thrills, and a black rifle is the perfect tool for the job.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 11/30/22 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Broadhead26

However, 99% sure a muzzleloader is just as bad as a centerfire in the eyes of the law.

Felons can use muzzleloaders, they aren’t considered “firearms”. You can order one and have it delivered to your house.
Posted By: MoeBuck

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 12/03/22 03:02 AM

I’ve been bow only for roughly 10yrs. It’s the challenge that I love. It’s more of a sport so to speak for me. It’s not gonna matter to me if big boy is at 70yds. At least I saw him and can make a closer play on him next time. Hunting with a rifle is just to easy.

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 12/03/22 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lonster
Originally Posted by Broadhead26

Felons can use muzzleloaders, they aren’t considered “firearms”. You can order one and have it delivered to your house.

Well, did some research and it looks like it’s not federally prohibited but it depends on your actual state. Where I grew up in VA, it was still considered a firearm and prohibited by state law til about 2014. Looks like it’s still banned in TN for felons. No idea on alabama.
(For the record, I think any lifetime firearm ban not related to a crime Actually Involving a firearm is stupid)
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 12/19/22 04:57 AM

I have not carried a gun when I hunt without my kids in 3 seasons. It's fine, they have usually killed everything I would shoot by the time I get to hunt alone so I never really think about shooting anything but it's fun to bow hunt
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Exclusive Bowhunters - 12/19/22 05:45 AM

Dang lol
© 2024 ALDEER.COM