Aldeer.com

What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why?

Posted By: Clem

What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/13/22 05:14 PM

What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? Fixed or mechanical?

Let's hear it.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/13/22 05:58 PM

Fixed, because I see no reason to change. They fly straight, kill animals and have worked for years.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/13/22 07:14 PM

Rage or shwacker (mechanical) bc I see no reason to change. They fly straight, kill animals and have worked for years.
Posted By: Gut Pile 32

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/13/22 08:33 PM

Tried the mechanical route and went back to fixed and have no regrets. Used to be scared to hit the shoulder and now I will shoot them in the shoulder when quartering to snd have no doubts about my setup
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/13/22 08:39 PM

Muzzy 3-blade fixed - always flew straight (no planing), no problem with passthrough, good blood trails.
Posted By: jb20

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/13/22 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hunting-231
Muzzy 3-blade fixed - always flew straight (no planing), no problem with passthrough, good blood trails.
Posted By: bojo

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/13/22 09:07 PM

Shwacker 2 blade mechanical. They fly great for me and my set up. They seem to fly better than any I've shot. They do great out of my Hoyt.
Posted By: PoohBear

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/13/22 09:45 PM

MontecG5, 100 gr., obviously fixed. Solid one piece head which means no moving parts, no parts to come loose, no planing. I can shave hair with mine but only because I know how to sharpen them. Properly tuned bow so therefore they fly with my field tips. Love 'em!
Posted By: FlyinRN

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/13/22 10:01 PM

G5 Megameat mechanical. Because they’re devastating. I don’t even worry about the shoulder because I’m aiming well behind it anyway. Punch them anywhere in the ribs and go find them.
Posted By: billrv

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/13/22 10:06 PM

Rage....worked great for years
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/13/22 11:57 PM

I wouldn’t trying to be a jerk Kodiak, just the flip side of the pillow. I shot fixed when I started bow hunting and killed deer with them. When I switched to the mechanicals I never went back. So many ifs and maybes on both sides of the fence. I just seen better cuts from the 2 blades.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/14/22 12:08 AM

There’s benefits for both fixed and mechanical. Last 6 or 7 seasons I’ve shot mechanicals but tuned my bows to shoot fixed as well. I shot the Rage Hypodermic NC’s this season and they performed great. Got some Day Six EVO’s I’m going to try out next season too.
Posted By: Bowhunter95

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/14/22 12:31 AM

Have been shooting rage with great success. Plan to try try the magnus stinger buzzcuts (fixed blades) tho cause I want more forgiveness with shot placement.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/14/22 12:31 AM

Grim reapers or Magnus stingers.
I shoot the Magnus for elk and I usually have a both in my quiver
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/14/22 12:39 PM

I’ve gone from fixed to mechanical several times and although everything I’ve shot (thunderheads, muzzy, slick tricks, rage, jack-hammers, land sharks, etc) has killed deer I have now settled on and use Wasp Jack-knife. It’s a two blade expandable. I like the increased cutting diameter and don’t have to worry about tuning. The fixed blades I like the absolute best are slick tricks, hands down. If I shoot any more fixed that’s what it’ll be. Tough as they can be and usually fly well.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/15/22 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Shaw
There’s benefits for both fixed and mechanical. Last 6 or 7 seasons I’ve shot mechanicals but tuned my bows to shoot fixed as well. I shot the Rage Hypodermic NC’s this season and they performed great. Got some Day Six EVO’s I’m going to try out next season too.

I shoot a 200g day six evo out of my recurve. They are pretty slick.
Posted By: Hammertime7v2

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/15/22 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shaw

I tested 6 or 7 broadheads (fixed and mechanical) over the summer and ended up with the rage hypodermic NC's. They did really well and shoot them currently.

I also had good success with the swacker 207's, but instead of buying the name brand rubber brands ($3/20), I bought some small orthodontic rubber bands off Amazon $5/1000).

The NAP killzones also did really good when I tested them, but the weights were all 10-20 grains higher than advertised. Not sure if I just got a bad pack, or if they are all like that, but it was each of the three broadheads in the pack I bought.
Posted By: jake5050

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/16/22 01:59 AM

I shoot NAP spitfire pro series. Its the best mechanical I have used
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/16/22 01:14 PM

German Kinitics Silverflames 180gr

STOS 200gr

rocks....varying weight
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/16/22 07:47 PM

Slick Tricks for me. They fly well and I like that the ferrules are steel instead of aluminum.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/16/22 09:04 PM

Grimm reaper
Posted By: bodock

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/17/22 02:01 AM

165 grain Simmons Landsharks. They fly true, very stout and put a lot of blood on the ground.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/17/22 03:32 AM

125g Ramcats….because they put big ole holes in critters
Posted By: remlap

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/17/22 10:40 AM

Slick trick magnums for me. Ive shot muzzy for years also with great results.
Posted By: Rooster600

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/17/22 01:53 PM

G5 Megameat 125 grain mechanicals. Fly great and they leave a big ol hole.
Posted By: eclipse829

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/17/22 10:51 PM

RamCat 125 gr. fixed. Ive killed 9 deer with the 3 pack I bought 6 years ago. Complete pass through every time. Shoulders, Ribs, everything.
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/18/22 11:53 AM

Rage Chisel Tips for whitetails.... They can't tote them far! A lot better than the original Rage's, which I swore off a couple seasons after they came out.

For elk I use 125 grain Exodus. Incredibly tough fixed blade that flies great and penetrates deep.
Posted By: AlabamaHuntress

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/18/22 04:39 PM

I like rage. Leaves a hole they don't recover from.
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/19/22 02:29 AM

I’ve been using Iron Will-Wides the past year or so. Shot a deer and coyote, can’t complain. They sharpen up nicely.
Posted By: Ridgehunter36

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/19/22 05:03 AM

125 gr Tooth of The Arrow 4 blade
Posted By: Huntnwork

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/22/22 02:35 AM

Rage. I been shooting the same 3 for probably 8 years. Shot maybe 10 deer with them. Just clean them off and put a new band on it.
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/25/22 12:18 AM

NAP Spitfire 100gr. Just never found anything better
Posted By: Wade

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/25/22 11:15 PM

Mechanicals, because I do not have to tune my bow for fixed blades. I'm old school from the days that tuning was important. Most heads fly straight now. I shoot the widest mechanical I can just to open up a hole for easier tracking. The old Vortex 125's did a number on a deer if you got an exit hole. Shoot Rage 125's now.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/26/22 04:45 PM

Expandable. They make huge holes.
Posted By: redgineer

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/26/22 08:07 PM

Schwaker 100gr mechanical. Massive exit wound and red carpet blood trail. You can disable the expansion for zeroing with a broadhead.
Posted By: 2506

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/26/22 10:20 PM

I like a cut on contact fixed blade. I like stronger broadheads that can be reused with some sharpening.

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/26/22 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by 2506
I like a cut on contact fixed blade. I like stronger broadheads that can be reused with some sharpening.

So what kind is it montec?

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/27/22 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by jb20

I’m trying out Valkyrie blood eagles this year. I just got them so I haven’t had a chance to shoot anything yet.

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/27/22 01:55 AM

I’m trying out Valkyrie blood eagles this year. I just got them so I haven’t had a chance to shoot anything yet.

👍

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/27/22 02:00 AM

👍

If I was rich I would also have some iron wills in my quiver to go along with those lol

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/27/22 02:02 AM

I ain't rich but like your thinking lol...gonna have to research those u mentioned

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 01/27/22 02:13 AM

I ain't rich but like your thinking lol...gonna have to research those u mentioned

Lol I hear ya. The ones I mentioned are pricey but I got some free arrows so I splurged on the broadheads. Its having a quiver full of expensive broadheads that I can’t do lol. I’ve always seen a lot of good reviews for those I mentioned so I decided to go ahead and give them a try.
Posted By: Highlander

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 02/03/22 05:53 AM

Rage Hyperdermics and Grim Reapers because you can watch them drop.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 02/04/22 02:38 PM

German Kinetics heads are simply the best head ever made. They come razor sharp and STAY that way. Pricey at $30 a head but you hardly ever need to touch em up and they kill like a lightening bolt. I shot a 100# doe with one, just behind shoulder. She jumped straight up, hit the ground and fell dead. Fastest kill I have ever seen anywhere with a broached.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 02/05/22 04:28 PM

Sharp ones🤯
Posted By: TDog93

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 02/07/22 01:19 AM

I love the bloodsport I been shooting - huge blood trails - I bought a grim reaper and another popular one - shot a doe w one of those - hit her gray - not getting the blood that I do on bloodsport

May hav to look into German kinetic also
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: What kind of broadhead do you shoot and why? - 04/20/22 03:26 AM

It depends on how far I think my shot is going to be. If I'm hunting in thick stuff with shots not past 20 yards, I'll use a mechanical. If shots are over 20 -25 yards plus, I'll shoot fixed heads. Nothing wrong with mechanicals if you have good kinetic energy and your aim is good.
So I switch them out.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM