Aldeer.com

Unbelievable... (long read)

Posted By: FlyinRN

Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/04/21 11:20 PM

Well, this year has been nothing less than incredible with the bow...and this hunt is another one to prove it.

This deer showed up on my new 80 acre lease the middle of December. It’s prairie ground, so it’s just a bunch of cedars and sage grass. It doesn’t hold a bunch of deer but they just roam all over. Not a lot of big timber around, but my place has not been maintained, so it’s pretty thick in several places. This deer was at the feeder in the food plot for two or three nights and then disappeared. I hunted him once in those days. First sit on the property. No deer seen, but I got winded on what I thought was the perfect wind (NW). I’ve only been on that property about 4 times since season came in. He showed back up on New Years night. On January 2nd he was at the feeder at 1733, then 2300 that night, and then again at 0635 yesterday morning. 3 times in 13 hrs. I was thinking I needed a south wind to hunt him after getting blown at the first time I hunted it on NW wind. Well, yesterday was NW. I knew he wasn’t going far since he showed up in daylight yesterday morning. I consulted a friend that has experience hunting that type ground and he said go hunt him. So I did.

I got settled into my lock on about 1500 yesterday afternoon. I broke off cedar limbs and crushed them and rubbed them all over my clothes. I’m over looking my little 1/3 acre food plot with the gravity feeder 18 yds away. Finally at about 1715, 2 does scurried into the plot from the north. They were making a loop and coming into the feeder from the south. They got just south of the feeder and both turned and looked back from where they came. They were fixated on it. I knew it was him. About 10 seconds later I see his tall white rack coming through the sage and scattered cedars.

As he’s entering the field, the biggest doe begins to get nervous and throwing her head in the air checking the wind. I guess my scent was starting to settle to the ground without any wind at this point. The buck is still walking towards the does, so he has no clue I’m there. Well, the doe does a 180 like she’s about to leave. I knew I had to shoot. I drew and stopped him when he cleared some limbs in front of me. I knew he was right around 27-30 yds. I brought the pin up from the bottom and touched the trigger when I saw it meet brown hair behind his shoulder. I watched as the arrow sailed perfectly over his back! The does bolted out the bottom of the field and he bounded off the west side.

I hung my bow up all while cussing myself. I turn to see my lighted nock glowing in the field. About a minute later I see white antlers coming in from the west. Light is fading fast. He proceeds to enter the edge of the field and stand behind a couple cedar trees about 40 yds away. He’s just looking in my direction or at the feeder. He looks, and I assume, sees the lighted nock glowing. This goes on for 4-5 minutes. Then I notice the does coming back in the bottom of the field. So I slowly grab another arrow and my bow. I get it nocked and bow in hand. The does come in and circle arrow and one of them goes up to it, smells it then jumps back. She did that a couple times and then settled down. She started like she was coming to the feeder and the buck decided it was safe. He started walking to her and I drew. He bumped her and I grunted to stop him. He was about 40ish yds. It was late, but I could clearly see the pin and his body, so I let it fly and heard the soft thwack. Not loud like bone. I watched the nock disappear through him and then reappear on the ground. He bounced out of the field and I thought I heard a bellow after about 10 seconds.

I eased down and walked over to the arrow quietly. Turned my back to where he ran and turned my light on to examine the arrow. It was soaked in bright red blood, but I wasn’t sure where I hit him so I left the arrow and headed to the truck. Called my buddy and told him the story. Told him I was going to wait two hours and go look. He came and met me.

We started looking about 2000 last night. Couldn’t find any blood for the first hour. We were confused why there was so much blood on the arrow and not the ground. We didn’t go any further than about 20-30 yds from the hit site. Finally I decided to call for a dog. The 3 people I called couldn’t come. While I’m talking to the 3rd person, I find a speck of blood. Then a little more and more. After about 20 minutes of finally getting on the trail, my buddy walks up on him while looking for the next blood. He was dead stiff. Only ran about 50-60 yds. I guess he squatted at the shot. Arrow hit just behind ribs and the exit hole was HIGHER and in the ribs. Centered the liver and came out last lobe of the offside lung. The “bellow” I thought heard was now what I think was air pocket coming out the wound. Thank you Lord for great, big cutting expandable broadheads.

By far my biggest Alabama bow buck. My unofficial measurements, which will be close, 136 5/8.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/04/21 11:27 PM

That's how you do it right there. Congrats!!
Posted By: CAM

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/04/21 11:37 PM

thumbup beers
Posted By: Madmax0818

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 12:08 AM

Good story. Congrats
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 12:11 AM

Congrats goober. beers
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 12:36 AM

Nice deer and story - congrats
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 12:47 AM

Dang good un. Congrats.
Posted By: mzzy

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 01:00 AM

Beautiful deer, congratulations!!!
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 01:01 AM

He’s nice, congrats
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 01:06 AM

Congrats! Great buck, and great story! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 02:15 AM

Very nice
Posted By: Buck slayer 15

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 02:33 AM

Great buck congrats!!!
Posted By: jb20

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 02:46 AM

Awesome deer congrats
Posted By: fillmore

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 03:18 AM

Great deer, and great storytelling.
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 04:03 AM

Good job man, I know that realy came off of Gully
Posted By: bhammedic84

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 12:26 PM

great deer , not trying to be an ass but i dont see 130+ inches
Posted By: Auburn_03

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 02:33 PM

[quote=bhammedic84]great deer , not trying to be an ass but i dont see 130+ inches[/quote

You are being an ass and you shouldn’t of even posted if that is all you can say. The deer looks to be easily into the 130’s to me.

Very nice deer and I love hearing the story of how they were killed.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 02:46 PM

Congratulations on a fine one!

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by mauvilla
Good job man, I know that realy came off of Gully

Lol. Nope, but I’m in pursuit of a good one there. 😜

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by bhammedic84

It’s cool. I can tell you that I didn’t either trying to score him in pictures. I’m always 10-12” off until I put a tape on them. But I’ll gladly post my numbers below for you. Like I said, it’s going to be ball park until I have him officially scored. See below...

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 03:32 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 04:55 PM

Congrats!! Good read too.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 05:42 PM

Congrats on the great buck!
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 06:34 PM

Great deer!!
Posted By: BobK

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 08:53 PM

beers
Posted By: Jus_me

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 09:47 PM

Congrats!!
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 10:06 PM

Thanks for taking the time to share that story. That’s a great buck! Congrats.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 10:24 PM

DUUUUDE what a stud! Another nice one down brother!!
Posted By: AUbowhunter1990

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/05/21 10:53 PM

Great buck and good read!
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/06/21 02:20 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: skintback

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/06/21 02:49 AM

congrats! fine one
Posted By: bhammedic84

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/06/21 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by FlyinRN
Originally Posted by bhammedic84

It’s cool. I can tell you that I didn’t either trying to score him in pictures. I’m always 10-12” off until I put a tape on them. But I’ll gladly post my numbers below for you. Like I said, it’s going to be ball park until I have him officially scored. See below...

again great deer. numbers dont lie. congrats and hell of a story
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/06/21 03:30 PM

Great read, deer and pics. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a stud.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/08/21 11:21 AM

Congrats on a great deer
Posted By: Nightrain

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/08/21 05:53 PM

Great Buck
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/13/21 03:17 PM

WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing.

What a great encounter with the deer on your lease, and the hunts to pursue and kill him.
Definitely one for the memories.
Beautiful deer!!
So pleased for you!!!

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/13/21 09:23 PM

Great deer, too bad on that brow tine or he would have made it to 140. What is the abnormal you measured on the left side?
Posted By: top cat

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/13/21 09:58 PM

AWESOME buck. Wallpaper

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/14/21 11:44 PM

Rumor has it ol’ FlynRN done put another one down. 🤭
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/15/21 05:25 AM

Yeah I’m waiting on the story , saw pics of it all I have to say is SMH and congrats it’s a stud

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/15/21 08:14 AM

I hear he’s gonna have a Mathews Triax up for sale soon.

[Linked Image]

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/15/21 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by hallb
Great deer, too bad on that brow tine or he would have made it to 140. What is the abnormal you measured on the left side?

He has a sticker coming off his left base.

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/15/21 04:52 PM

Mauvilla, I’m going to put a tape on him this afternoon and I’ll post the story. Not much to it. From the time I saw him until he was dead was about 2 minutes.

Shaw, Triax will never be sold. The question is, “Are you making decals for my “Shaw strings” sponsorship or am I responsible for that?”

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/15/21 06:25 PM

Does this “sponsorship” you keep mentioning include any hunting rights for me?

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/15/21 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shaw
Does this “sponsorship” you keep mentioning include any hunting rights for me?

Yes sir! We eat up with squirrels and hogs!

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/15/21 08:04 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Unbelievable... (long read) - 01/15/21 08:07 PM

🤣🤣🤣
© 2024 ALDEER.COM