Aldeer.com

Getting Circled By A Yote

Posted By: Coosa1

Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/21/20 09:21 PM

Walked in to sit a natural ground blind this afternoon with my bow. When I came around the corner there was a huge coyote about 30yds down the road from me and he took off before I could nock an arrow. Well about 15mins ago he starts going nuts yipping and howling on the hill above me and now he’s making about 80yd circles around me just running and yipping like crazy. May have to beat his azz with this Mathews before the day is over. Y’all ever had one do this? I’m not scared of coyotes but dang this is eerie.
Posted By: fillmore

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/21/20 09:31 PM

Just hope his podnuhs don’t come join in

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/21/20 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by fillmore
Just hope his podnuhs don’t come join in

Great, now you’ve got me thinking he’s calling for backup lmao
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/21/20 09:46 PM

That's why I carry a sidearm, always. Got stalked by a coyote one morning and all I had was a bow. If I seen one I want it dead and don't wanna mess around with a bow kill on it.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/21/20 09:59 PM

I have been trailed by both coyotes and mountain lions.

Yotes are one thing, and I feel like you could beat it off with your bow like you said as long as it's a fair fight.

I've never felt more vulnerable than when I knew I was either A) near the cougar's food stash, or B) found cougar prints on top of my boot tracks during the walk out. On one deer hunt on base I kept hearing something move every time I moved. I'm not going to lie I hunkered down until daylight sitting in a rock face where the only way I could be approached was head on.

Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton is chock full of lions. They're all interbred and have kinks in their tails. Sumbitches.

Let us know how it turns out.

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/21/20 10:05 PM

He got quiet. Not sure if he left or is sneaking around somewhere lol
Posted By: Buck slayer 15

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/21/20 10:30 PM

Definitely calling back up
Posted By: Stripe

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/21/20 11:09 PM

Had a whole pack come in on me in the dark as I was gutting a doe. Had eyes every where I shined a light. Was able to run them off by yelling. Sure makes the hair stand up. I started dragging my kills out whole after that.
Posted By: oldandwise

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/21/20 11:10 PM

call
ING yogi any booboo for help now
Posted By: Holcomb

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/21/20 11:31 PM

Had 4 come up on me a few years ago during gun season. Was creepy watching them come across a field pick up my scent and follow my trail to the stand. They started circling at about 50 yds. It was getting close to dark but I managed to get a bullet in one of them and the rest scattered. Definitely a weird feeling knowing that you are being stalked.
Posted By: G/H

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/22/20 02:10 AM

Had one attack me years ago, turkey hunting.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/22/20 02:29 AM

They are natures way of cleaning up wounded animals for sure. I shot a nice 8 several years ago late one eveining. I backed out and gave him daylight beofre looking for him. I didnt find anything but the hair. Talk about looking all around you on the way out. There was absolutely nothing left. I felt like I was being watched the entire way out.

B
Posted By: Out back

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/22/20 11:30 AM

Why would you be afraid of coyotes? They are just scavengers, mostly afraid of their own shadows.
And deer pay them little attention. Where I live, I get to observe lots of wildlife in their natural behavior.
Many times I've watched deer and coyotes mingle and interact. Deer will continue feeding and not even pay attention to the coyotes.
Now, it's a whole different game if a bobcat comes around. The deer (especially a momma doe) will go crazy if a bobcat is nearby.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/26/20 04:15 AM

I’ve had two tree my ass one time and my bow got left at the bottom of the tree during the jump and climb situation. Had one walk beside for over a 100 yards and literally 15 ft from me in the woods. I didn’t have a light but when I got into a big hay feild I looked by the moonlight and there he was. When I saw him I screamed like a little girl threw the bow and shagged. My brother and cousin found me standing on a fence post waiting for them.

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/26/20 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by johndeere5036

I’ve had two tree my ass one time and my bow got left at the bottom of the tree during the jump and climb situation. Had one walk beside for over a 100 yards and literally 15 ft from me in the woods. I didn’t have a light but when I got into a big hay feild I looked by the moonlight and there he was. When I saw him I screamed like a little girl threw the bow and shagged. My brother and cousin found me standing on a fence post waiting for them.

That's plum embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for you.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/26/20 01:02 PM

You may have been near a den...yotes can act crazy when you’re near pups
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/26/20 11:29 PM

Worst is when you’re packing to leave after an evening hunt and they start howling right next to you.

I used to hunt a lot the southern Arizona mountains and mountain lions used to scare the piss out of me. Quite a few times I’d be walking out with an eerie feeling of being watched and then see some eyes staring at me with my flashlight from 50yds away
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/27/20 01:18 AM

I had packs on 3 sides of me one evening at dark when I was hunting Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky. The pucker factor was high for the climb down and the walk out.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/27/20 01:51 AM

Used to hunt in Tuscaloosa County near the Alabama River. There was so many I would start counting shells to make sure I had enough before climbing down. Heard them take down a grown cow in an adjoining pasture but couldn't find them ( it was 300 acres). Next day property owner found what was left of it. Coy dogs are scared of people either.

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/27/20 02:02 AM

The Alabama River isn’t in Tuscaloosa County. Talking about North, Warrior or Sipsey?
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/27/20 11:05 AM

2 attacks in the whole U.S/Canada where coyotes killed a human. Peoples dogs/pets kill 15-20 people/year in Alabama. Don't be scared!

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/27/20 01:36 PM

The only thing in Alabama that concerns me to run up on is a pack of feral dogs.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/27/20 01:57 PM

Had one barking at me in an open field one time at dark
Posted By: Reyn

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/28/20 04:42 PM

Most i have seen is 4 at once and every time i see one they are gone. Maybe i'm uglier than i thought. When i have heard them at night howling i always assumed there was a pack together and maybe they are but a couple years ago i was in a clear cut when one started up at dark. Immediately 3-4 responded to that one but every one was maybe 1-200 yds from the first. I could tell where they were. It was like they were just checking to see where the others were at. the first two were maybe 100yds up the hill from the first but those two were 50 yds from each other. Then a 3rd was maybe 75 yds from the middle two. From a few hundred yards away one would assume they were all howling and together but i noticed they were spread out a max of 300 yds from the farthest two.

Several years ago i was walking to a stand in the dark. Saw eye up ahead in the trail and they weren't moving. I assumed a opossum at first. Kept walking with my headlamp on and walked up on a huge bobcat just sitting there on a log crouched. I was within 6ft and i stopped trying to figure why he hadn't ran off. My first thought was he was rabid and might attack but he did not look scared. I took my pistol out and pointed it at him. I guess the headlamp blinded him so i turned the light on me so he could see what i was. He about killed himself blowing out of there.

Posted By: Ruger8point

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/28/20 07:25 PM

I shot one hunting once, knew I made a bad shot so I trailed it when I got down then walked up on it and shot it again with another not to good shot low on the shoulder and it howled right in front of me. Like 20 yards away. It sounded like a women screaming and it freaked me out and I thought I had done shot somebody across the creek

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/28/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ruger8point
I shot one hunting once, knew I made a bad shot so I trailed it when I got down then walked up on it and shot it again with another not to good shot low on the shoulder and it howled right in front of me. Like 20 yards away. It sounded like a women screaming and it freaked me out and I thought I had done shot somebody across the creek

You oughta hear the racket one makes when you’re walking up to it in a trap. Always makes me feel like he’s calling in the cavalry.
Posted By: Thread Killer

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/29/20 10:14 AM

I had this bastard try to charge me at dusk on a fire brake lane. He caught a 357 goldensaber to breadbasket.

https://ibb.co/yXwX6mx
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/29/20 03:41 PM

That's a gray fox isn't it?
Posted By: Thread Killer

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/29/20 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by dirkdaddy
That's a gray fox isn't it?

Yea he came up on me quickly and kinda spooked me. I’m going to have it stuffed so it worked out ok.
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/30/20 10:35 AM

Some of you guys are scared of your shadow....
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/30/20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shaw
The only thing in Alabama that concerns me to run up on is a pack of feral dogs.

I've been attacked by feral dogs twice and followed another time. First time was near Moundville and I shot three and beat a fourth with my gun to get it off my 3 year old daughter. Second time was near the State Cattle ranch and I shot one at twenty feet as it charged me, the others ran.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/30/20 02:37 PM

I called one up turkey hunting one time. I was set up off a trail leading to a green field where I had a bird gobbling. Visibility was a somewhat limited in a few directions. He snuck in on me and was about 15 ft when I first saw him. He startled me for a second and before I could get my gun on him he took off. One other time, probably 20 yrs ago, I was hunting Choccolocco WMA and was walking and blind calling later in the morning. I sat down on a little bench and yelped on my box call. All of a sudden I heard something tearing up toward me from the bottom of the hollow. A coyote popped up right in front of me. We both said "Oh chit!". He turned around as quick as he appeared and was gone. Happened so quick I didn't even have a gun in my hand.

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/30/20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
I've been attacked by feral dogs twice and followed another time. First time was near Moundville and I shot three and beat a fourth with my gun to get it off my 3 year old daughter. Second time was near the State Cattle ranch and I shot one at twenty feet as it charged me, the others ran.

I had a pack of 4 charge me in Pickens County. The first 2 got a 150gr. 30-30 to the noggin. The third took one in the chest and the fourth got away.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/30/20 04:05 PM

I was walking in before daylight one time and was walking past a downed hollow log and a damn huge bobcat went running out the other side about 8 feet from me. Scared the crap out of me. Also was bowhunting one evening and had a huge coyote come by too far for a shot on the edge of a big ag field. Got dark and I came down and started walking out across the field and the damn thing started howling and yipping and following me getting closer and closer. Heard another one yip off to one side. Had about a 500 yd. walk and he kept getting closer and closer. Yipping and barking the whole time. Got to the truck slung the door open and turned on healights and that sucker was about 40 yds behind me still coming. He ended up stopping and then ran off. Wonder if he would have attacked if I had a longer walk? Had a buddy wound a bobcat and it ran into some planted pines. He got down and was following blood trail in the dark up to the pines and when he got to the pines the bobcat had climbed one of the trees and it dropped on his back and then jumped off and ran off. Scared the crap out of him. He had blood on his coat shoulder to prove it cause I called bs on it. Also he ran out of the woods without his gun so I figured it really happened.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 11/30/20 06:21 PM

Y'all don't know terrifying until you have a Black panther sneaking in on you at dark
Posted By: filespinner

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 12/01/20 11:36 AM

My son who was about 14 at the time, got out of his stand one afternoon at dark and started walking back to his 4 wheeler. Heard something in the woods walking beside him. Shined his light and there were 3 coyotes about 10 yds away. He took off running for a couple hundred yards, slowed down and shined his light and they were still running right beside him. So he took off again and jumped on the 4 wheeler. They were still right there on him when he got to the 4 wheeler. Cranked up and took off. All he had was his bow, scared the crap out of him.

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 12/01/20 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by alhawk
Y'all don't know terrifying until you have a Black panther sneaking in on you at dark

You don't know terrifying until you have a sniper pin you down behind a crumbling brick wall all night long..
Coyotes are just little dogs. Panthers are big house cats.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 12/02/20 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Out back
Why would you be afraid of coyotes? They are just scavengers, mostly afraid of their own shadows.
And deer pay them little attention. Where I live, I get to observe lots of wildlife in their natural behavior.
Many times I've watched deer and coyotes mingle and interact. Deer will continue feeding and not even pay attention to the coyotes.
Now, it's a whole different game if a bobcat comes around. The deer (especially a momma doe) will go crazy if a bobcat is nearby.

My cousin got this on our place in Clarke County a few weeks ago.
[Linked Image]bbcode image link

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 12/02/20 12:13 PM

I live in the wild. I get to watch wild animals in their natural world everyday.
Deer have zero fear of coyotes and I know that for a fact.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 12/02/20 02:59 PM

Never had one stalk or try to approach me. They have always run. Wild dogs are a different story. I've been stalked by bears and mountain lions.
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: Getting Circled By A Yote - 12/02/20 08:38 PM

We’ve been hearing them howl and yip at night not too far from the house the last couple of weeks, then a couple days ago I had one walk along side of me about 30ft from me for about 40 yds. I pulled my SD cards that afternoon and I have a pack of coyotes showing up less than 200 yds from my house.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM