Aldeer.com

Crossbows

Posted By: Taylorwelch

Crossbows - 04/25/20 12:20 AM

Looking into buying a crossbow this year. Any opinions and suggestions on a good quality crossbow that will not cost an arm and a leg? I will most likely be replacing the scope on whatever one I get so that’s not an issue. Thanks!
Posted By: Clem

Re: Crossbows - 04/25/20 05:31 PM

Barnett Whitetail Hunter is worth considering - https://www.barnettcrossbows.com/whitetail-hunter-ii

Wicked Ridge also has a good entry-level bow - https://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/?s=wicked+ridge+crossbows

If you've never shot one more than a couple of times (or ever) I would suggest finding someone down your way who will let you shoot. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to shoot one and they're a lot of fun, plus they kill stuff pretty effectively. Deer, hogs, sasquatches.

Re: Crossbows - 04/26/20 01:32 AM

Thanks man. I was considering the Barnett whitetail hunter str. How is Barnett and their warranty? Like the limbs and strings breaking?
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Crossbows - 04/26/20 02:24 AM

Anything by 10pt. American company and great people.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Crossbows - 04/26/20 08:50 PM

I haven't had any issues with my Barnett bows so I don't know about warranty, but I haven't heard anything negative about their warranty and service.

As for TenPoint, they do make super bows at a variety of prices including high prices for their top package.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Crossbows - 04/26/20 10:16 PM

I bought a centerpoint Ampd 415 to tinker with after helping a few fellas sight in at the lease. I got it on after season clearance for a big discount. It’s unbelievable fast and accurate. It is shooting 385fps, Upgraded to a ravin scope on it and bloodsport witness arrows. It is like shooting a rifle out to 75 yards. For less than 400$

Re: Crossbows - 04/26/20 11:41 PM

👍🏼

Re: Crossbows - 04/26/20 11:41 PM

Which one do you have

Re: Crossbows - 04/26/20 11:42 PM

Which one do you have

Re: Crossbows - 04/26/20 11:43 PM

I was thanking about center point also I thank the heat maybe? But I didn’t know about the quality or how it would hold up they look pretty sweet.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Crossbows - 04/27/20 03:47 AM

Field and Stream will let you shoot in Hoover before you buy
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Crossbows - 04/27/20 04:39 PM

A Matrix G340 with ACOG is as user friendly tough as nails as you can get. The combo ain’t cheap but man is it an accurate trouble free combo.

https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/crossbows/matrix-g340/

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ta50-c-400143
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Crossbows - 04/27/20 05:48 PM

One of the properties I hunt is bow only. As mentioned, you really need to shot them to see what you may like. I own Horton reverse limb and Wicked Ridge invader. I like my reverse limb Horton and my son likes his Wicked Ridge better. My brother in law has a Barnett Jackal. Wal-Mart was blowing them out for $200 with a red dot. If I was only using a xbow a couple of weeks a year I would seriously look at a Jackal.

If I were to invest today, with the land I hunt, I would be buying a Ravin

Re: Crossbows - 04/27/20 10:08 PM

👍🏼

Re: Crossbows - 04/27/20 10:09 PM

Yea if I was in a bow only I would definitely have a ravin lol. Yea I will look into that I just need something for now season so I don’t wanna go crazy but I want something dependable

Re: Crossbows - 04/28/20 01:32 AM

My criteria was really based on, if I raked a broadhead across a string by accident or when the string stretched, how fast can I be back in business and can I do it myself. Recurve only for me.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Crossbows - 05/06/20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
My criteria was really based on, if I raked a broadhead across a string by accident or when the string stretched, how fast can I be back in business and can I do it myself. Recurve only for me.

My reverse limb has a cable do-dad that I can tighten with a wench and change/add a string without needing a press. Just a FYI Loco
Posted By: Snuffy

Re: Crossbows - 05/26/20 06:51 PM

Personally I wouldn’t buy anything that doesn’t say Excalibur.
Posted By: imadeerhntr

Re: Crossbows - 05/26/20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
I bought a centerpoint Ampd 415 to tinker with after helping a few fellas sight in at the lease. I got it on after season clearance for a big discount. It’s unbelievable fast and accurate. It is shooting 385fps, Upgraded to a ravin scope on it and bloodsport witness arrows. It is like shooting a rifle out to 75 yards. For less than 400$

I bought one after Christmas at a big savings at Academy. These are well made crossbows
Posted By: Stob

Re: Crossbows - 05/26/20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Snuffy
Personally I wouldn’t buy anything that doesn’t say Excalibur.

I feel / felt the same till I saw the prices,,,Dang!!!!

Had a Barnett. May as well have been carrying a small car in my arms. No thanks.
Still considering,,,, as I only hunt WMA's now and really don't care for the check in
with the hordes of orange and the race to your spot. Would prefer the relative solitude
of the archery hunting.

Re: Crossbows - 05/26/20 08:17 PM

Good thing there are many choices.

Re: Crossbows - 05/26/20 09:40 PM

Make sure to check out here for prices. This guy is top notch.

https://www.wyverncreations.com
Posted By: Geno

Re: Crossbows - 05/27/20 08:32 PM

For bows that won't break the bank, centerpoint is hard to beat. You can change the string without any real tools. I just use an arrow shaft to lock the cam in place. They have a 5 year warranty.

With the barnett bows - unless you're near the top, the quality is pretty low. The centerpoint bows are nice quality and low priced. I have a patriot 415 that is fast, quiet and insanely accurate. Almost as quiet as my reverse limb barnett vengeance and a little faster. 2-3" groups at 100 yards are the norm for the fast centerpoint bows. My barnett vengeance will only shoot into about 5" at 100 yards. The scopes that come on all but the top tier bows are generally junk regardless of the brand.

Re: Crossbows - 06/18/20 11:14 PM

Which Barnett do you have? Too bulky?
Posted By: jpfishmaster

Re: Crossbows - 06/19/20 02:01 AM

Another vote per looking at wyverncreations.com
I will be going through him when I order my Excalibur in the next few weeks
He offers scope upgrades on numerous bows and is a wealth of inforation
Posted By: Geno

Re: Crossbows - 06/25/20 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Taylorwelch

Barnett Vengeance reverse limb in black and carbon fiber. Actually quite small and blazing fast a few years ago when I bought it. They were a grand new but I found one slightly used at a pawn shop and had it shipped from Kansas. The centerpoint I recently acquired is a better bow for 1/3 of the price. Same weight - a little bigger - 20 fps faster and more accurate. If you're willing to learn how they work and what changes affect them how, you can modify them to be a little faster still. My centerpoint claims 415 but in reality shoots 385-387. I haven't bothered to mod it out of sheer laziness but a person who knew what they were doing could get another 15 fps out of it with no additional cost.
Posted By: JA

Re: Crossbows - 08/02/20 08:32 PM

Do any of these bows have de-cocking or do you have to shoot it to unload it?

Re: Crossbows - 08/02/20 09:20 PM

Tenpoint has a decocking. I usually just shoot mine in ground with field point. No biggy
Posted By: mathews prostaff

Re: Crossbows - 08/03/20 02:18 AM

mission sub one

Re: Crossbows - 08/06/20 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Geno

Barnett Vengeance reverse limb in black and carbon fiber. Actually quite small and blazing fast a few years ago when I bought it. They were a grand new but I found one slightly used at a pawn shop and had it shipped from Kansas. The centerpoint I recently acquired is a better bow for 1/3 of the price. Same weight - a little bigger - 20 fps faster and more accurate. If you're willing to learn how they work and what changes affect them how, you can modify them to be a little faster still. My centerpoint claims 415 but in reality shoots 385-387. I haven't bothered to mod it out of sheer laziness but a person who knew what they were doing could get another 15 fps out of it with no additional cost.

Well my dad bought a killer instinct boss 405 and it’s pretty impressive for the price. Smooth trigger pull adjustable stock and fore grip. Thing is driving tacks right out of the box. Can’t say anything bad about it yet. I will most likely get me one.
Posted By: dagwood

Re: Crossbows - 08/06/20 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Geno

Well my dad bought a killer instinct boss 405 and it’s pretty impressive for the price. Smooth trigger pull adjustable stock and fore grip. Thing is driving tacks right out of the box. Can’t say anything bad about it yet. I will most likely get me one.

I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I had just enough time after I put it together to fire a couple of bolts. One thing, at 220 lb pull it takes about all this old man can do to cock it. This first time
it got away from me before it latched in and I busted my ass. I'm thinking it will give me about 20 more yards of kill range than I had with my PSE Fang.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM