Aldeer.com

Arrow Lifespan

Posted By: GomerPyle

Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 11:46 AM

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but do arrow shafts "expire"? I've got some PSE branded arrows that have only been shot a handful of times at targets, have always been kept inside and are like-new to the naked eye? Are these good to go or does the material weaken over time and make them more prone to failure?
Posted By: DGAMBLER

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 11:51 AM

As long as they have been kept out of the elements and are straight and not damaged...you're good to go.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 11:56 AM

I bendem...if they dont make a racket and my inserts straight..i chootem
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 12:22 PM

The only carbon shafts I have ever seen degrade were the Carbon Express Line Jammer large diameter target arrows. They would break down enough internally that the dynamic spine would change. You would know when it happened because that shaft would not group with the rest. Basic rule of thumb with any carbon shaft is flex. them before you shoot them. If you don’t hear a snap, crackle or pop, you’re good to go.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 12:39 PM

thumbup
Posted By: Booger

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shaw
The only carbon shafts I have ever seen degrade were the Carbon Express Line Jammer large diameter target arrows. They would break down enough internally that the dynamic spine would change. You would know when it happened because that shaft would not group with the rest. Basic rule of thumb with any carbon shaft is flex. them before you shoot them. If you don’t hear a snap, crackle or pop, you’re good to go.

PSA:
If one does hear snap, crackle, and pop........soaking them in milk will not fix them.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 06:55 PM

I like to slide a little coconut oil or petroleum jelly on my arrows. Helps keep the shaft from drying out and helps with penetration.
Posted By: RobertM

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Forrestgump1
I like to slide a little coconut oil or petroleum jelly on my arrows. Helps keep the shaft from drying out and helps with penetration.

....oh the comments I could make. rofl
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 07:22 PM

ya don't say?

[Linked Image]

LOL ... reminds me of fishing with a buddy a long time ago, and he went ON & ON about "worm fishing" ... i told him, as long as you keep that ONE EYED WORM in your britches, i'm fine with all this worm talk
Posted By: grundan

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 08:15 PM

That’s what she said!!
Posted By: top cat

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 09:03 PM

I've killed several with the same arrow
Posted By: eclipse829

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 09:31 PM

I bought 4 arrows when I bought my Bow 4 yrs ago. I keep a field tip on one for armadillos and such. The other 3 are tipped with Ram Cat 125 gr heads. I have killed 13 deer with those 3 arrows. Complete pass through each time. The buck I killed Thursday jumped straight up after the pass through and fell on the arrow that was stuck in the ground and broke it off about 6 inches from the fletching.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 10:05 PM

Don't think field tips are allowed to be in possession while deer hunting.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by eclipse829
I bought 4 arrows when I bought my Bow 4 yrs ago. I keep a field tip on one for armadillos and such. The other 3 are tipped with Ram Cat 125 gr heads. I have killed 13 deer with those 3 arrows. Complete pass through each time. The buck I killed Thursday jumped straight up after the pass through and fell on the arrow that was stuck in the ground and broke it off about 6 inches from the fletching.

If you only purchased for Arrow's 4 years ago you either don't shoot a lot or luckiest guy in the world. By the way, congrats in ya buck
Posted By: jb20

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/22/19 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by top cat
I've killed several with the same arrow

Me too cuz it's always my best flyer and I reuse until I lose it or damage it...i don't think I've ever shot 3 with same one but I've shot a couple more than once with same arrow
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/23/19 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by top cat
Don't think field tips are allowed to be in possession while deer hunting.

Perfectly legal to have a field tipped arrow in you quiver, CT.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/23/19 12:49 AM

Also, a lot of folks have gone to the micro diameter shafts, they say they get better penetration. Me personally, I use a larger diameter shaft. I think they hold up better to abuse. I use a two bladed broad head and have never had any penetration issues. I also feel like the larger diameter shaft transfers more energy and really helps open the wound cavity up. They use to say the larger the shaft the less stiffness you’ll have but I don’t find that true. Mine are always heavily spined for my setup so maybe that’s why.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Arrow Lifespan - 10/23/19 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shaw
Basic rule of thumb with any carbon shaft is flex. them before you shoot them. If you don’t hear a snap, crackle or pop, you’re good to go.

Or get a "twist" action when you bend them.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM