Aldeer.com

Saw 13 deer today

Posted By: Abram

Saw 13 deer today - 10/18/19 12:42 AM

I was ground hunting today at Oakmulgee and saw 13 deer. I had 9 does, 1 yearling, (2) 4 points and (1) 6 point walk by. I managed to get a shot at two of the does and missed horribly. They were both on alert and I got so excited that I could hardly focus. I have two questions for the seasoned bowhunters

1.) Would you go back to the are tomorrow and carry a treestand?
2.) How do you guys stay calm and make a good shot?

Thank you
Posted By: jb20

Re: Saw 13 deer today - 10/18/19 01:40 AM

1. With that many deer i would
2. Still learning cuz i still get shook up to this day after 23 years of bowhunting depending on how quick things happen
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Saw 13 deer today - 10/18/19 01:54 AM

1. Definitely. Get it while it’s hot.
2. Experience, good and bad, you’ll learn to lose control after the shot, not before. That’s why we do it.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Saw 13 deer today - 10/18/19 02:04 AM

I would be back in there soon as I could with the right wind etc.
I been bow hunting 30 yrs and I'm cool as a cucumber right up until I hear the broadhead hit and see the fletching disappear, when I loose that feeling it'll be time to do something else
Posted By: MPbow_man

Re: Saw 13 deer today - 10/18/19 02:47 AM

Abram I learned from John Dudley’s podcast that he used to jog between arrow retrieval and shooting the next round to get his heart rate up. Then he learned how to shoot with it racing. It’s a lot of running but so far it has worked for me. And he only did it until he could shoot with his heart rate up. I’m sure he doesn’t still do this. But he’s one of the best so I like to learn from him
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Saw 13 deer today - 10/18/19 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Strictlybow
1. Definitely. Get it while it’s hot.
2. Experience, good and bad, you’ll learn to lose control after the shot, not before. That’s why we do it.

yep. But with #2, control before the shot will come and go.....usually after losing it first on the first deer. Then it goes away.............until next year. Bowhunting is awesome.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Saw 13 deer today - 10/18/19 02:57 AM

Yes
Just focus and keep telling yourself no reason to get excited until you make the shot.
Posted By: laidback

Re: Saw 13 deer today - 10/18/19 04:20 AM

I’d defiantly hunt the same area if the wind is right and I didn’t spook them today. As far as being excited I’ve killed 58 deer with a bow 2 of which scored in the high 140’s. I learned like someone else said not to get excited until after the shot. Another thing you must accept especially if you hunt the entire deer season with a bow is you will see really nice bucks out of range. That’s a given.
Posted By: AMB

Re: Saw 13 deer today - 10/18/19 04:21 AM

I would definitely go back

No other tool will help you consistently kill deer with a bow better than a tree stand

The only way to get better at killing deer with a bow is to kill deer with a bow

Good luck to you!
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Saw 13 deer today - 10/18/19 01:24 PM

I tell myself hitting a deer is only half the challenge and not to get excited until I have recovered the deer.
Posted By: Abram

Re: Saw 13 deer today - 10/19/19 12:50 AM

Thanks Fellas

I made the mistake of going back with the wrong wind. I did see two does and of course both of them winded me. I also had two small dogs barking and running around. I thought at first someone was squirrel hunting but I think they were just two local dogs running the deer. One of them barked non-stop, got on my nerves. So I will let that area rest a while and then try to sneak in there again. I have never seen that many deer in one sitting at Oakmulgee. I have never seen a buck on the hoof so that was a real treat.
Posted By: AUbowhunter1990

Re: Saw 13 deer today - 10/19/19 02:01 AM

If you got the same wind, then I would definitely go back.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM