Aldeer.com

eye dominance

Posted By: SouthernRoots

eye dominance - 08/25/19 03:31 AM

Question for the group- Ive been bowhunting for 15 years now and have always shot a bow right handed even though I am Left eye dominant. I do everything right handed except for shoot a gun. I suppose I only started doing this because my dads old bow was right handed and thats what I had to shoot. Anyways I have always considered myself to be average to slightly above in the hunters world of archery. Not a tournament shooter by any means but Im happy with a 3in group at 35.
I have never had a problem killing deer with my bow but today while at Archery unlimited in Prattville I had a conversation about why I would shoot right handed while being left eye dominant. This led to me going to the back and shooting a left handed bow for the first time in my life. It did feel awkward the first shot or two but after that it felt fine.

My question is as far as aiming/ sight picture/ etc. goes would switching to a left handed bow make that big of a difference for someone who has really not had any problems shooting "off handed".
Anybody ever tried to make the switch before? Cant lie after shooting left handed today I was really intrigued with the idea
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: eye dominance - 08/25/19 04:10 AM

I’m curious myself.. I’m right handed as well but shoot guns left handed and through my reel left handed when needed... I guess from hunting with my dad as a kid since he shot left handed.. he said as a kid he was left handed but they whooped that out of him as it was different and frowned upon.. sadly I can believe that
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: eye dominance - 08/26/19 12:04 PM

I'm in the same boat. I'm left eye dominant, I shoot long guns and pistols left handed, shoot my bow right handed, back when I used to play baseball I'd bat left handed but catch and throw right handed, and do most everything else right handed. Never really given much thought towards switching over to a lefty bow.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: eye dominance - 08/26/19 12:14 PM

The advantage is mainly going to be with depth perception with being able to shoot with both eyes open. I’m cross dominant myself with being right handed but left eye dominant. I own a ton of guns and a right handed bow. It feels so unnatural for me to shoot left handed so I’m sticking to them and just close my left eye.

Dr. B
Posted By: RobertM

Re: eye dominance - 08/26/19 01:42 PM

Might make shooting with both eyes open a little easier.
Posted By: Kcub

Re: eye dominance - 09/17/19 02:29 AM

I have always shot right handed even though I am left eye dominant. A couple of years ago I started having issues with my left shoulder and was having a lot of pain trying to hold the bow in my left hand and shoot right handed. So I figured what the heck, I’ll give it a try. Bought an inexpensive left handed bow and when I shot the first time it felt really weird. After that it started feeling natural. Now It is second nature to shoot a bow left handed. Funny side story, the first deer I shot with left handed bow, my shot was WAY off until I realized that during the excitement of the moment I was still shooting left handed but had aimed with my right eye. Doh!, Anyway, I would strongly encourage someone that is cross eye dominant to at least give shooting with your dominant eye a try. You may discover that you are a much better shot shooting with that dominant eye.
Posted By: tjmcdwll

Re: eye dominance - 09/17/19 02:17 PM

I would say if you aren't shooting with both eyes open then probably not much difference unless the vision of your left eye is significantly better. But they make corrective lens for that.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: eye dominance - 09/17/19 02:36 PM

I wouldn't sweat it at all and just shoot how I t feels best to you. Both Fred Bear and Howard Hill shot opposite hand from their eye dominance. I think they did OK.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: eye dominance - 09/17/19 04:59 PM

I’m right handed / left eye dominant and shoot right handed with both eyes open. I’ve tried a few left handed bows years ago but never committed to swapping over. Ever since I broke my neck, I’m weaker on my left side. So, swapping is out of the question now.
Posted By: boker

Re: eye dominance - 09/17/19 08:43 PM

I am RH - left eye dominant , I started out shooting RH but now shoot LH and RH bows.

Personally I find it easier to shoot LH but feel I or anyone else could shoot just as good RH/LH if we put our mind to it.
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: eye dominance - 09/18/19 02:28 AM

thanks for all the replies. Honestly had now idea so many had the same issue. Im gunna shoot some LH after the season and see if it would be worth making the swap. It definitely didnt fell "uncomfortable" shooting LH that day. But Ive never had too big of a problem shooting cross eyed either.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: eye dominance - 09/19/19 02:12 AM

Actually about 25% of folks are cross-dominant so there are quite a few of us out there.

Shaw, it’s remarkable that you can shoot accurately with your dominant eye open shooting crossed up. If I try that, I’m hitting 10+ feet to my left at 20 yards.

Dr. B
Posted By: Shaw

Re: eye dominance - 09/19/19 03:53 AM

I’m not too shabby shooting instinctively either. wink
Posted By: LIOJeff

Re: eye dominance - 09/20/19 02:41 AM

Me too
I shoot a gun left handed and a bow right handed
© 2024 ALDEER.COM