Aldeer.com

Oregon Archery Thread

Posted By: kodiak06

Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 02:48 AM

Season starts tomorrow. I was suppose to work but, I worked 2 days in advance and will hunt Sat-Tues. I'm starting out where a few nice bulls have been seen. Not expecting much but, I'm not shooting average bulls in there. Cool part is that it won't be too terrible of a pack if I get one. The bad part for me is the hunt type. I 100% prefer to run & gun for elk but, I plan on chilling in the timber a lot of the day and just playing the waiting game just like whitetail hunting and seeing if they come by. On another note: the Hood to Coast Run is this weekend so, the dummies can possibly mess up these bulls. Hoping to get my son one, he may join the hunt on Sunday.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 02:50 AM

[Linked Image]
LUNCH
Posted By: Farmer64

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 02:50 AM

Good luck man
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 02:51 AM

Good luck đź‘Ť post some pics !
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 02:52 AM

Good luck! thumbup

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 02:52 AM

Ill be hunting timber and a small clearcut behind a field. Hoping I don't have guys comingin there.
Somebody im looking for
[Linked Image]

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 02:59 AM

Some of my junk
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 03:01 AM

Good luck man. Deer season opened up a week and some change ago here in SC.. and it’s been hotter than balls. Hope the weather out there cooperates with ya and y’all can stick a good one!
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 03:04 AM

Good luck! ...... and if you eat all that, you don't have enough TP laugh

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by CeeHawk37
Good luck man. Deer season opened up a week and some change ago here in SC.. and it’s been hotter than balls. Hope the weather out there cooperates with ya and y’all can stick a good one!

Supposed to hit 80 Tuesday. Hard to get that much meat outta the woods when hot.
Posted By: bdw32

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 03:13 AM

How you like that Sitka pack? Good luck man I’ll be following this.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by bdw32
How you like that Sitka pack? Good luck man I’ll be following this.

Its not a Sitka pack. The camo is a Sitka pattern.
It's a Mystery Ranch Mule. I really like it. Go to their charts and order the size you need. It'll pack neat nicely. I packed a forky quartered out last year, all in one trip. Does elk qtrs just fine as well. My son has the mule also, my buddy has the mystery ranch cabinent

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 03:33 AM

Best prices ive found on Mystery Ranch packs has been at Optics Planet, just gotta check constantly.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 04:59 AM

Game bags - if ya want nice ones the Kuiu and Blackovis bags are both nice. If ya wanna save money, especially if ya just packing deer, pillowcases work great.
Posted By: El_Matador

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 07:51 AM

Good luck man. Can’t wait to see this thread.
Posted By: rblaker

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 09:59 AM

Good luck! Always liked hearing about your season.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 10:38 AM

Starting out great, not really. Woke up at 0304 to hit the head, it's 0335 now lol. Guess ill be taking a nap today in the woods. Don't need xtra time for this hunt. I walk the river 15 min or so and im hinting.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 11:28 AM

Good luck
Posted By: mzzy

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 01:49 PM

Good luck, keep us posted.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 01:55 PM

Our goid field had like 60+ before daylight. I went to another spit with the good bulls. Saw 2 young bulls headed straight at me so i bailed. Beat feet through the timber, walked to top of hill. Now 4 bulls where I popoed out. Two 4x4s, two a little smalker, havent counted points. Ones wearing out a gree

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 03:49 PM

First Lite pant 1st assessment: very comfy, repel the dew off the grass. Stickers will pull on these more than the Kuiu 2 way stretch as expected.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/24/19 04:31 PM

Wanted to try these factors. For wet junk, my Kuiu will be worn. Running and gunning, these will be nice. Keeps the boots laced, pants from getting shredded, and light water out.
[Linked Image]

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/25/19 02:52 AM

Not what I wanted to see. #2 has a bunch of cows...
[Linked Image]

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/25/19 02:52 AM

Find the cows, find him maybe

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/25/19 02:55 AM

Top left of the clearcut is where the 4 bulls came out. I came out the same spot 20 minutes earlier...
[Linked Image]

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/25/19 02:56 AM

I came home early, eating elk meat tacos lol

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/25/19 11:58 AM

Headed out for round two, and I have a headache. That makes it more fun LOL. Hopefully those Bulls come out again and I can get my son on them, if not we're going to be pretty bored cuz we're locked down in a small area
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/25/19 12:27 PM

Do the elk tend to like those clearcuts like whitetail?

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/25/19 06:28 PM

Pretty much the same, food/cover and they like it

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/25/19 06:34 PM

this morning was fun:
Hiked river and jumped into the edge of a small field to get across to the timber into the clearcut the 4 bulls were in yesterday. Told my son, "be cool if the elk were here" oops, shouldn't have said that two young 4x's starring at us... They leave we call - nothing

Hiked to the clearcut, I said "see those 2 dead trees, the elk pass through right there", he said there's 2 bulls lol. Same 2 from the bottom, NO PLAY

Easing up the old road noise free to get up high and glass now. Getting some altitude and we hear a deer bouncing down the hill. Hunter said "its a buck", I instantly raise my binos and he says 'Oh chit" and ducks, I duck! Really nice 5x5 down below. I ranged at 63yds but, the deer bouncing off put him on alert. Basically we never shot.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/25/19 06:40 PM

A bit later we ease up the road through the reprod and spot a big spike walking ahead of us. I told Hunter there's more elk, no way a spike solo. He heard a faint bugle as well. We eased up to where the bull cut off the road and listened, nothing.
I let out a cow call and a chuckle and got a cow call back. Cow called again and did a locator bugle and we get a bugle back. Game on!!! We went back and forth a bit, I retreated down a skid road, bugled and started tearing up some alders.
I'm doing my part reading Hunters posture and actions. I see him ranging and trying to draw. Nothing.
I then see him get up and walk 3-4 steps and get low again and I start raising cain to get the bulls attention. Hunter drew but didn't shoot. When it was all over we walked to where the SAME 5x5 as earlier had stopped in the road. He had spotted Hunter and was unsure and walked away.
Hunter said "check this out" pointing out water drops all in the road, I said he pissing himself? He said no, he was slobbering and he could see it from 60yds. CRAZY, too bad I couldn't see the cool stuff. Fun morning for sure.

So far 8 bulls, zero cows seen the last 2 days
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/25/19 08:56 PM

Keep stories coming! This is awesome!

Dr. B

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/25/19 09:15 PM

Dang it man, I’m envious. Wishing I lived out there sometimes.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/26/19 01:10 AM

Biking in to check one my old spots thats aged a bit. Rode right into a herd. About 15 cows ran north, at least one left behind. I've called, no replies. Watching the others feed now in a clearcut about 800yds away

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/26/19 07:08 PM

Topped the hill this morning and glassed a young bull and some cows about 800yds away. While glassing I heard some cows talking. We talked back and forth but, thy stayed in the reprod. Eventually, I got the bull to light-off giving me his position. After a couple back and forth bugles, he went tight lipped. I snooped around and hit a little side road and did a light bugle, he lit off about 75yds away. Guessing same bull as yesterday. He took his cows and left. At least a lil action this morning.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/26/19 07:12 PM

Challenging trying to coax a bull outta this stuff into the road. Ya cant see 3ft in there, much less shoot. I did get him into the open yesterday.
[Linked Image]

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/26/19 07:14 PM

Free food
[Linked Image]
Posted By: top cat

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/26/19 07:49 PM

Good read. Hope y'all let the air out of one soon.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/26/19 09:55 PM

Im thinking all sam3 bull. If so, #2 moved before opener down to the chicory field area... I been hunting him lol
[Linked Image]

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/27/19 12:00 PM

Last night I went and got next to The Chicory field where there's a smaller field on the left side of the driveway. I knew elcat left there yesterday morning so I stood by Briar Patch and waited. I was pretty tired cuz I went on it somewhere and put in 11 miles on the bike so standing there was kind of getting boring until I seen the help come up by the riverbank. Ended up with five cows one Spike and 1/5 by Babu. They're working their way towards me I was having trouble distinguishing which bullet was, although he was nice I decided to bail. I didn't have a shot at the time I needed him to go about 45 more yards and I would had a shot. But I think running off scared them. We'll see. This text don't make any sense I'm using voice to text as I drive to go hunt this morning. I'll clean it up later. Hopefully I don't regret waiting to see if I got a shot on that bull

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/27/19 12:01 PM

Not too enthused about today's hunt. It's supposed to be 85 Plus degrees. Kind of like asking for meat spoilage

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/28/19 01:28 AM

Hot, Hot, Hot, riding a bike lol. I went in early. picked the hills North of the mainline. NADA. Glassed a place to the West we sometimes hunt, bull and cows lol. Didn't go there to far uphill and I'd have never made it before they hit the timber. Night off, don't wann shoot one having to work tomorrow.
RED FLAG warning here, dry with East-NE winds

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/30/19 12:10 PM

Big bull in the field yesterday herding cows. I also had some pics from the Moultrie mobile of a bull in the small clearcut. Gonna make a morning run and see what I can get in to.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/30/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by kodiak06
Big bull in the field yesterday herding cows. I also had some pics from the Moultrie mobile of a bull in the small clearcut. Gonna make a morning run and see what I can get in to.

Good luck.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/30/19 01:50 PM

40yds from a 4x4. He needs to go so I can get up hill

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/30/19 01:51 PM

Or his father needs to pop out.
Bugle 8n distance, couldn't pin point

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/30/19 01:56 PM

Elk in hole on left. Guessing dink budxy

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/30/19 02:25 PM

He was eating leaves and rubbing also. Small 4x4 about 25yds. Ni clear shot but, wouldn't shoot anyway. Good bull for my son or buddy. Wind swirled and He slipped off

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/30/19 04:38 PM

Kuiu bino harness in sale
bino
Posted By: TGbow

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/30/19 05:29 PM

Hope you tag one

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/30/19 06:47 PM

Came out to deal with something. Gonna eat and put a new D-loop on my bow.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/30/19 06:49 PM

Not chancing this coming unassed drawing on a bull[Linked Image]
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/31/19 12:42 AM

D loop does look Janky. Good luck post up the success pics.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/31/19 12:42 AM

Grabbed a pair if Fiskars and carried them in tonight. Um tired of getting poked by stickers and snagging my clothes lol. Gonna gi check a small road for bears. Lots of berries.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/31/19 01:30 AM

You guys talking bout carrying a side arm got me 2nd guessing myself... I think I just missed a male teenage sasquatch[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stob

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/31/19 02:00 AM

Obviously. They must be rutting.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/31/19 02:44 AM

Free food
[Linked Image]

What species of blackberries are these? Off topic but I love blackberries.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/31/19 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by grundan
Free food
[Linked Image]

What species of blackberries are these? Off topic but I love blackberries.

I'll ask a girl at the farm, she will know

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 08/31/19 03:43 PM

Woo-hoo

No-seeums out full effect!
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 09/01/19 02:52 AM

Thanks for the heads up Kodiak, I ordered a Kuiu bino harness on sale.

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 09/03/19 03:51 AM

Last hunted 3 days ago. Long story short, I tried to sneak attack some elk when they crossed a small creek from a field to timber. Kinda hard to sneak in a solid rock river bed. Had a head on with about 5 young bulls. Shifted angles and saw a good bull but, the rocks were just too noisy.
Gonna makes the same play tomorrow. Hopefully they hit that field tonight and i pick the right exit trail. Also, can't do a south or east wind so, hoping for west

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 09/03/19 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Remington270
Thanks for the heads up Kodiak, I ordered a Kuiu bino harness on sale.

I love mine. Gonna order a spare tonight since mines been used hard for 4 years

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 09/03/19 02:56 PM

Gimme some love boys, gotta wait 30 more min...

Re: Oregon Archery Thread - 09/03/19 05:28 PM

Going to move the Oregon archery thread to the general forum.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM