Aldeer.com

Anybody using Traditional Archery?

Posted By: rolltidehunter

Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/14/19 05:29 PM

Just curious how many of you do. I will attempt to shoot my first this year with a Ben Person recurve bow. Been practicing for a couple of years and I been shooting good groups this year. It has always been on my hunting bucket list to do. Pretty excited. What kind of bow are y’all using.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/14/19 05:53 PM

I don’t as of yet but I want to at some point. I’ll be following your hunting season. I can’t wait to see you take one down with the original sticks.
Posted By: El_Matador

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/14/19 07:14 PM

Not yet. Hopefully by next year I will be ready though. Gonna continue to practice through this year.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/14/19 07:52 PM

Tried it a few years ago and shot one doe that I wasn't able to recover. Been really wanting to get back into it though, I'd just have to buy all new equipment.
Posted By: znrichie

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/14/19 09:50 PM

I've got a 50lb Fleetwood take down. Been practicing alot late in the evenings. I will be hunting with it some this season.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/14/19 09:54 PM

Plan on hunting deer with a 43# Damon Howatt this year.
And got a archery Javelina tag in NM.
Ready or not.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/14/19 11:22 PM

Only hunt with traditional bows now. First deer I shot with a bow in 1978 was with a 50# Bear Kodiak Hunter. 3 year ago went back traditional due to shoulder surgery killed a 9 point with a 40# Samick Sage, which was all I could draw 9 weeks after the surgery. Last year I shot a 8 point with a 45# Whip Longbow from Dan Toelke from Montana Bows. This year will be shooting a 45# Black Widow recurve if I do any hunting, not into the bait thing and I imagine the guys the tromp around on the land I hunt will have secret piles of golden decoy out everywhere, so hunting is actually low on my priorities now.
I don't ever see me going back to compounds and bells and whistles, stick and string is a lot lighter and is just more fun to shoot.

Good luck with your endeavor!
Posted By: TGbow

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/15/19 11:02 AM

That's all I've ever hunted with for 45 yrs. Shooting an old mid 70s Bear Grizzly this year.
Posted By: Booger

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/15/19 11:25 AM

I’ve shot traditional bows for about 20 years and love it. I love the simplicity. I shoot a Turkey Creek TD 62” longbow. She’s 47#@28”. My draw length is 29”. I’ve killed several deer with it. I’ll probably breakdown soon and find a nice recurve. I’ve used wood arrows, aluminum arrows, and carbon arrows. I shoot carbon because they fly well and take a lot of punishment.
Posted By: RobertM

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/15/19 01:17 PM

Yelp, all my bowhunting last year was with a longbow. This year I'm planning to hunt with a 60# recurve.
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/15/19 04:32 PM

I do. Been hunting with one for about 6 years now. Currently shooting a RK1
Posted By: Booger

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/15/19 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fullthrottle
I do. Been hunting with one for about 6 years now. Currently shooting a RK1

I saw your Barry Wensel avatar. Have you ever seen the old videos that he and Gene made? I love the ones where they shot deer on the run during deer drives.
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/15/19 06:24 PM

Yep. Case for running shots. He does it on bow hunting October whitetails video
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/20/19 12:11 PM

I love traditional archery. Shot my first deer with a longbow 11 years ago. Hunted with traditional stuff almost exclusively up until about 3 years ago. My kiddos getting older put a huge damper on my practice time. They are still on the rack, and I usually get a hunt or two in early season when an 8-12 yard shot at a white oak isn't a hugely difficult task.
Posted By: boker

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/20/19 04:26 PM

Some needs to try traditional archery and I happen to have a couple nice vintage Bear bows for sell in the classifieds.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/20/19 05:27 PM

recurves, longbows, self made bows...all of the above. Carbon arras with the recurves and longbows, hickory and cane arras with the self bows and flint points.
Posted By: Johnathan

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/21/19 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fullthrottle
Yep. Case for running shots. He does it on bow hunting October whitetails video

I really like that video. I just watched a YouTube video of Berry, he is a very gifted outdoorsman.
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/23/19 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
recurves, longbows, self made bows...all of the above. Carbon arras with the recurves and longbows, hickory and cane arras with the self bows and flint points.

Now that’s what I’m talking about!

Oh and remember my Malinois? He’s turned out to be a great dog. He goes into the garden and picks ripe tomatoes and eats them and he also picks bell peppers and eats them too!
Posted By: Lonster

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/23/19 02:37 AM

I have and old Bear Hunter Takedown that I bought new in 1989 that I have hunted with in the past. I just ordered a new White Feather Lark 23” riser and a set of limbs that should be about 45 lbs. at my draw length that I plan on hunting with some this year hopefully.

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/24/19 04:04 AM

Sitting here in the recliner sharpening up some 165 gr. Zwickey No Mercy's.
I can get a shaving edge on knives all day long but I aint worth a crap at sharpening
a broadhead. Had to cheat and got me a Smith's Pocket Pal (not a sex toy).
Seems to be working pretty good.
Posted By: TGbow

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/24/19 10:15 AM

The Rada sharpener works pretty good.
I'm gonna check out the Smith pocket pal.
Posted By: boker

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/24/19 06:08 PM

I been trying to sharpen some old bear razor heads, cant get the edge I want no matter how or what I use but I got a buddy that cab use a file and have them shaving sharp in under a minute

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/25/19 12:51 AM

Been out "shooting" the recurve. Heat, Humidity, Ants and Ball Gnats.
Already managed to lose a brand new arrow.
Aint no way I'm gonna be ready to hunt with this thing in Oct.
Done drug out the Bowtech. grin
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Anybody using Traditional Archery? - 08/25/19 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by boker
I been trying to sharpen some old bear razor heads, cant get the edge I want no matter how or what I use but I got a buddy that cab use a file and have them shaving sharp in under a minute

Get a three sided jewelstik and a Razor Edge Systems Arrowhead guide.

Then watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtNBQoVlz80 He sharpens Simmon heads, but the same process will get bear and any other two blade broadhead screaming sharp! I sharpen broadheads, knives and everything using the same technique, when I say something is sharp, don't test it with skin!! Not bragging, it's just that simple process works that well.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM