Aldeer.com

Anyone hunt out of a saddle?

Posted By: znrichie

Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 12:09 AM

I've really been looking into it and I'm very intrigued with it. I ran into a guy on wheeler last year who hunts out of one and said he'd never go back to a climber. Does anyone use one?
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 12:30 AM

Got a buddy that's got into it.....I'll stick with the climber what he totes weighs more than my climber and imo way more aggravating with the steps climbing aid platform saddle way to much to rig up for me
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 12:31 AM

I do. I'll never go back to a climber either. I run a AeroHunter Kestrel and use Wild Edge steps to climb. I have back problems, but I can stay up in a tree all day no problem.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 7x57_Mauser
I do. I'll never go back to a climber either. I run a AeroHunter Kestrel and use Wild Edge steps to climb. I have back problems, but I can stay up in a tree all day no problem.

Nice, I've been watching a ton of videos on it. Looks an effective way for the public land Hunter that goes in and out a country mile.
Posted By: mzzy

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 02:32 AM

I’m going to try it this year. I got a kestrel flex on order now. In case your not aware, there’s a forum called saddle hunter that has a lot of good info
Posted By: rolltidehunter

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 02:36 AM

I have a Aero Hunter kestrel and love it. Unbelievable comfortable. Most people think it is silly and make fun of it until they try it and then they like it.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 02:53 AM

I'm going to the expo in bham Saturday I saw on a forum where there will be a aero booth for folks to demo/order. Gonna have to check it out!
Posted By: bdw32

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 03:39 AM

I’m close to pulling the trigger on one.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 04:37 AM

I watched some videos. No way I'd hunt out of that...

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 11:26 AM

I'm gonna have to at least test it out. I walk some super long distance would be cool not carrying a stand if I liked the method.
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 01:32 PM

Love the concept. Hate the prices. That setup itself will run over $300 - then I'll want a predator platform - then I'll have to get sticks to climb with, mod them all for ease of carrying, add aiders, etc.
Being able to climb wherever is awesome and I can see where the weight would be helpful for those long walks in but I cant think of many times where I just couldn't find a tree for my climber that put me in the game.
Im definitely gunna sit in a Tethrd this weekend at the show but I dont think ill dive off into that purchase just yet

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 06:28 PM

I saw where diy sportsman made a video for people wanting to try it out but a cheaper route using a rock harness and a sit drag used as the saddle. Pretty neat
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/19/19 07:41 PM

Only when hunting out west off of horse back.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/21/19 09:44 PM

They have some advantages but it’s not for me. I can’t buy into the weight thing when I would need a platform, sticks/steps, I use a LW alpha II so there can’t be enough wait to make a difference. I’m not knocking them I just don’t think it would work for me.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/21/19 11:33 PM

I demoed one at the expo, was really cool and different but I could never spend there asking price on that. Was crazy expensive
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/22/19 01:23 AM

I also demoed on at the expo. My problem is, you end up with 6-8lbs more than my x stand sit and climb. I can see the appeal in the Midwest, where you need a lock on or saddle for most trees. Around here though, tree selection is seldom an issue. Plus, it’s slower than a climber, and obviously more labor intensive to get up the tree.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/22/19 02:57 PM

I was curious how comfortable they would be with cold weather layers on? Does that rope squeeze in on you from the triangle shape of the seat up to the top connection? Appears like it would squeeze in on you, just asking.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/22/19 05:08 PM

It was actually pretty comfortable. The ropes was no issue.
Posted By: kntree

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/23/19 11:39 PM

I got one late last year. It definitely has its place in run-and-gun style hunting. If you already had a light climber you're weight reduction will not be that significant. You're going to add back weight in caribiners, the saddle, climbing sticks, tether, linemans belt, probably a ropeman ascender, and you'll want some kind of step system or platform. I'm still trying to figure out foot comfort because I don't want to buy and expensive platform that will add even more weight to my setup. I love the saddle and will use it for bow hunting and hard to get to places but during the rut, when I need to sit longer, the climber is coming out, and I'm going to have a gun in my hands.

The pros are stealth (mobility in the tree is great, as well as your ability to tuck into the tree-you can hide better in a saddle-I find that my comfort comes alternating between siting and leaning in the saddle), ability to get into more trees (including those with limbs- but not so much a leaner), and mobility walking through the woods (unlike the climber that bumps into everything and resonates sound like nothing else).

The cons include initial hip pinch (you'll get use to it-especially if you drop a few pounds like i did), and it's not as comfortable as the climber, period
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/23/19 11:54 PM

kntree - What model did you get?

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/26/19 12:43 PM

I got the tethrd mantis saddle
Posted By: Stob

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/29/19 01:32 PM

Looks like I'd have multiple numb spots in less than an hr.
and still have a lot of crap to carry seems like, Steps/sticks/platform/saddle.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/29/19 07:06 PM

Well, after all my pessimism about saddles, I’ve actually decided to buy one. Found a guy on Facebook who is selling them for $150 new. My biggest hold up with saddles has been weight, but I’ve been looking at 1 stick climbing and the drt rope climbing system. Drt system would cut my total weight down to about 5lbs without a platform. Supposed to be in Wednesday, so I’ll give it a shot and report back.
Posted By: BREEZE1

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/30/19 01:35 PM

I bought a kestral, right after season last year. Now I have done bought a perch, lone wolf sticks and a badlands backpack. Got into more money than I expected and not sure im sold on it yet. I have spent a little time in it and shot 10 arrows or so from it. I set in it one day for close to a hour just seeing how the comfort was. It seemed ok but I would sit a while and stand or lean a while. Shooting doesn't seem quiet as easy as they say. Didn't have any trouble hitting the target but sure seems like a lot of movement right off. I mean if you have a deer sneak in on your off side and a little behind you, you have to swing your whole body around to the side towards the deer to shoot that direction. Shooting say in front and a little to the right side is also gonna take more movement and practice than a lockon or whatever, I am honestly a little disappointed but trying to stay optimistic and really looking forward to season to really do some real testing. It is a little cumbersome starting out also but I am thinking like anything else a little time and practice I will get a system down.
Posted By: bdw32

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/31/19 02:07 AM

I put everything in the cart to purchase one and backed out. I was concerned with how I’d take a leak out of the thing.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/31/19 11:27 AM

Taking a leak wouldn’t be much trouble. I don’t think anyway

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/31/19 06:47 PM

Those of you that have them did you buy a platform or did you build your own

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/31/19 07:52 PM

I built one out of a cheap lockon seat but then bought a podium when he had them on sale for 99.00

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 07/31/19 08:52 PM

I built one of of a old loc on stand for private but might get a ring of squirrel steps for public.
Posted By: mzzy

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/01/19 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by rolltidehunter
I built one of of a old loc on stand for private but might get a ring of squirrel steps for public.

This year will be my first in a saddle. After a lot a research I’m going the ring of step route first mainly because of packing and also i got some of the non recalled ameristeps to make it. I don’t know from experience but the ring of steps seem to allow getting around the entire tree easier.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/01/19 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by BREEZE1
I bought a kestral, right after season last year. Now I have done bought a perch, lone wolf sticks and a badlands backpack. Got into more money than I expected and not sure im sold on it yet. I have spent a little time in it and shot 10 arrows or so from it. I set in it one day for close to a hour just seeing how the comfort was. It seemed ok but I would sit a while and stand or lean a while. Shooting doesn't seem quiet as easy as they say. Didn't have any trouble hitting the target but sure seems like a lot of movement right off. I mean if you have a deer sneak in on your off side and a little behind you, you have to swing your whole body around to the side towards the deer to shoot that direction. Shooting say in front and a little to the right side is also gonna take more movement and practice than a lockon or whatever, I am honestly a little disappointed but trying to stay optimistic and really

"looking forward to season to really do some real testing. It is a little cumbersome starting out also but I am thinking like anything else a little time and practice I will get a system down.

"
can you get someone to move your targets around while your up a tree? I think I would want to get it all sorted about before season. I am looking forward to hearing your experience as well as the others using saddles for the first time.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/01/19 12:16 PM

I also might go with the Cranford scaffold ring of steps for public over squirrel steps. For price reason and also the comparison I seen that both about the same very solid. Cranford Scaffold is noisy but you can eliminate most with some kind of wrap on steps. Squirrel steps are a little pricey $25 per step need probably 4 to 5 can get Cranford scaffold for about $70.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/02/19 12:19 AM

I don't use a platform yet, I actually made a couple steps from pieces of 2x4. I can get far enough around the tree in either direction. Plus I just made a double top step for my top lone wolf stick. I feel like the platforms are pricey for what they are and i'm not sold on any step system yet.

One way I've reduced weight recently is by adding a two step aider to my bottom stick, and one step aiders to two other sticks, eliminating the need for a fourth stick. I can get the top of my third stick to 19' and if I want to get higher have the option of the fourth stick.

If I could go back i would by wild edge steps and use the knaider/swaider climbing method(google it), or get hawk helium sticks but they are always sold out, and i already bought lone wolf sticks.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/02/19 02:46 PM

To all those worrying about hot spots, numb spots, etc., here's some info from me:

I hunted all last year out of a saddle. I'm a big guy (have gotten fat 300lbs, slowly loosing though thank God), and was medically retired from the military because of a back injury, failed surgery, etc. I never have experienced pinching, numbness, etc. Matter of fact I'm WAY more comfortable in a saddle than I am in a lock on. The only thing that can rival the comfort is my 20-year-old Tree Lounge, but my back doesn't let me carry it in very far before it flares up.

The one thing I have noticed, and it's not a deal-breaker, but my ass does seem to sweat a little in the early season.

If you're waffling on whether or not to try it, I'd be happy to demo mine for you. I live near I-65 and Hwy 31. Also, don't wait too long because you don't want to be waiting during the season for your shipment.

I have no affiliation with ANY manufacturer or anyone associated with a manufacturer.

My setup:
Aerohunter Kestrel, with Ropeman 1 mods on lineman's belt and tree strap to replace Prussik knots
Wild Edge Step Ladder System for climbing
5.11 Tactical Mag Dump pouches for keeping ropes, etc, tidy during walks in
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/02/19 03:27 PM

Y’all arent getting any sleep in those tree cocoons are ya?

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/02/19 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by gcr0003
Y’all arent getting any sleep in those tree cocoons are ya?

I've fallen asleep in mine a few times. You can lay your head down on the bridge. Pretty comfy.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/06/19 04:18 PM

Well after years of kicking it around, this thread finally tipped me over the edge. I just ordered the full Mantis saddle kit with a predator platform from Tethrd. Planning on getting some willd edge steps and a knaider/swaider setup. Hopefully I can get it all in and together before bow season.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/06/19 04:29 PM

Welcome to the madness!

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/06/19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
Well after years of kicking it around, this thread finally tipped me over the edge. I just ordered the full Mantis saddle kit with a predator platform from Tethrd. Planning on getting some willd edge steps and a knaider/swaider setup. Hopefully I can get it all in and together before bow season.

Hope you do, looks like insane wait times right now. If your goal is lightweight, I’d seriously consider spurs or a 5 step aider for the wild game steps. I’m going to use spurs as my primary method and 1 stick climb with muddy sticks for public land on occasion.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/06/19 07:50 PM

How much does your kit/setup weigh?

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/06/19 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Atoler

Hope you do, looks like insane wait times right now. If your goal is lightweight, I’d seriously consider spurs or a 5 step aider for the wild game steps. I’m going to use spurs as my primary method and 1 stick climb with muddy sticks for public land on occasion.

Have you looked into any of the DRT/SRT style of climbing? The more I research it the more I'm finding myself being extremely interested in DRT climbing. Seems like that would be as light as you could get, you'd just have to have a good sturdy limb to work off of.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/06/19 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by kodiak06
I watched some videos. No way I'd hunt out of that...

Same for me. My Summit climbers are too comfortable for me to do that.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/07/19 01:15 AM

Have you looked into any of the DRT/SRT style of climbing? The more I research it the more I'm finding myself being extremely interested in DRT climbing. Seems like that would be as light as you could get, you'd just have to have a good sturdy limb to work off of.

Yeah I have. Initially I really liked the idea of the drt method. But after paying attention to limb height while I was at the club this weekend, I just don’t think it will be very practical in Alabama. It would work great In the midwest

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/07/19 03:09 PM

Yeah I have. Initially I really liked the idea of the drt method. But after paying attention to limb height while I was at the club this weekend, I just don’t think it will be very practical in Alabama. It would work great In the midwest

Yeah I guess that limb height would be a limiting factor. I was just thinking about all of the old water and red oaks we have on our place that have lots of big limbs in the 15'-20' height range. I may still get some rope and attempt DRT just to see how I like it. But it looks like with wild edge steps and my knaider/swaider setup I should be able to get about 20+/- feet up with only 5 steps and my predator platform. I guess I won't know for sure until everything comes in.

Re: Anyone hunt out of a saddle? - 08/07/19 09:57 PM

Yeah I guess that limb height would be a limiting factor. I was just thinking about all of the old water and red oaks we have on our place that have lots of big limbs in the 15'-20' height range. I may still get some rope and attempt DRT just to see how I like it. But it looks like with wild edge steps and my knaider/swaider setup I should be able to get about 20+/- feet up with only 5 steps and my predator platform. I guess I won't know for sure until everything comes in.

Let me know how it works out. If you have a bunch of big oaks it would work great. I just feel like you need a substantial limb and most hardwoods around me are slick until about 30’.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM