Aldeer.com

School me on youth bows

Posted By: jmudler

School me on youth bows - 04/29/19 04:51 PM

This weekend we had a Trail Life event at Lake Guntersville. They offered an archery class. My son signed up and gave it a try.
[Linked Image]

He has never shot a bow before. This was his 1st grouping. He basically did the same thing the 4-5 ore times. The target was at 15 yards. The instructor told me I should explore archery for him

[Linked Image]

They had blue Genesis youth bows. Anything recommendations would be much obliged.
Posted By: Morris

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/29/19 05:30 PM

Red or black shirt?
Posted By: Shaw

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/29/19 06:41 PM

How old is he and what is he looking to do. Just target shooting or possibly hunting?

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/29/19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Morris
Red or black shirt?

Red shirt......funny both are named Caleb smile

Originally Posted by Shaw
How old is he and what is he looking to do. Just target shooting or possibly hunting?

He is 11. Honestly, I have no idea. He hunts with me today........with a 243 and gulp....a xbow.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/29/19 06:56 PM

I would set him up with the cheapest olympic ILF riser and limbs that Lancaster carries. Get him way less weight limbs than you think you want and then those heavier ones too. Also check out Alternative archery in the UK.They often have sales and Lancasters has a bargain section too.

They also carry olympic quality arrows light enough spined for any weight bow. # rivers will only set you up with the lightest they carry which is about 600 deflection. I know Lancasters carrys up to at least 1500 deflection.

Just tell them his draw length and weight and all that and they will figure it all out for you.

I just checked Alternative and you can get ILF riser and limbs for about $90. I didn't look at strings or arrows.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/29/19 07:12 PM

If the instructor was mentioning this for schools(archery in schools program), there is only one option and that is the Genesis.

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/29/19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by alhawk
If the instructor was mentioning this for schools(archery in schools program), there is only one option and that is the Genesis.

Thanks for clarifying. He was saying something about schools and tournaments (like what BarMag posted several months ago).

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/29/19 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I would set him up with the cheapest olympic ILF riser and limbs that Lancaster carries. Get him way less weight limbs than you think you want and then those heavier ones too. Also check out Alternative archery in the UK.They often have sales and Lancasters has a bargain section too.

They also carry olympic quality arrows light enough spined for any weight bow. # rivers will only set you up with the lightest they carry which is about 600 deflection. I know Lancasters carrys up to at least 1500 deflection.

Just tell them his draw length and weight and all that and they will figure it all out for you.

I just checked Alternative and you can get ILF riser and limbs for about $90. I didn't look at strings or arrows.

Thanks.....I have no idea what you said, but not afraid to research. Is their a place I can go in/around Huntsville that has gear and professional lessons? I prefer not to teach (dont know swat about bows) or let bad habits fester
Posted By: Morris

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/29/19 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by jmudler
Originally Posted by Morris
Red or black shirt?

Red shirt......funny both are named Caleb smile

He is 11. Honestly, I have no idea. He hunts with me today........with a 243 and gulp....a xbow.

I was going to say. Black shirt looks full grown to me
Posted By: Shaw

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/29/19 08:20 PM

Yep, if it’s for the NASP competitions, it’ll be a Genesis.

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/29/19 09:17 PM

Yep, if it’s for the NASP competitions, it’ll be a Genesis.

Yep,if there is a program for him ask them what he needs.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/30/19 09:25 PM

Looks like Jmuddy in the far right with orange hat! rofl
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/30/19 10:06 PM

Got to a shop let them help get him set up correctly shot some bows and get one that fits him and feels good at his age one with a lot of adjustment such as a diamond infinite edge might be the ticket
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: School me on youth bows - 04/30/19 11:01 PM

Most good youth bows have a ton of adjustment range. Both in draw length and poundage.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: School me on youth bows - 05/01/19 03:09 AM

There is no adjustment with the Genesis other than poundage. You can shoot the same bow he shoots. Before you spend the money, you need to determine if NASP is in his current school or high school. If not, you will just be spending money for a target bow with no other use. If there is no program and he may want to hunt or shoot competitions (non school function)then go look at true compounds for youth.
Posted By: sluggun

Re: School me on youth bows - 05/01/19 06:11 AM

There is no adjustment with the Genesis other than poundage. You can shoot the same bow he shoots. Before you spend the money, you need to determine if NASP is in his current school or high school. If not, you will just be spending money for a target bow with no other use. If there is no program and he may want to hunt or shoot competitions (non school function)then go look at true compounds for youth.

This. Also some colleges are now offering scholarships for archery.
Posted By: sluggun

Re: School me on youth bows - 05/01/19 06:13 AM

Re: School me on youth bows - 05/01/19 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sluggun

I would look into what competition is available and what he wants ,but it might not have to be compound.

Re: School me on youth bows - 05/01/19 07:20 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Posted By: Bar7Mag

Re: School me on youth bows - 05/06/19 01:27 AM

These guys are spot on. School tournaments all use the genesis. That is some fine grouping he is doing. We have had good luck at the archery shop on south parkway. Custom archery center.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM