Aldeer.com

First recurve deer

Posted By: Johnal3

First recurve deer - 02/02/19 04:02 AM

Its been a long time since I had to sit down after smacking a nanny, but I had to this afternoon. I have been shooting a long bow that was given to me by a dear friend of the family and have done okay with it, but I was too inconsistent to hunt with it. I came across a good deal on a New Breed RK1 recurve and thought I’d try it too since I was kind of bitten by the “trad bug”. The recurve came in the mail yesterday from a guy in Minnesota that shot it a few times and decided to sell it for whatever reason. I’m shooting the Beman ICS 400’s and screwed 125 gr. Simmons Tree Sharks on them and shot well with it right off the bat. Both broadheads and arrows were borrowed so I could shoot them until I figured out what tuned the best out of my bows. I think I hit it on the nose the first try! I shot it again this morning and felt comfortable out to 20 with it, so I went and jumped in a stand this afternoon. This young doe walked up to 6 steps and got whacked! I was shaking like a dang turkey was strutting in front of me or something. It’s been a long time since that happened with a deer. Sorry for the long read, but this one got me excited!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: boker

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 04:17 AM

Nice
Posted By: BCLC

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 06:26 AM

Congratulations! . thumbup
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 06:30 AM

Heck yeah! That’s awesome!
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 07:21 AM

Congrats!!!! thats awesome! Thanks for sharing1
Posted By: grundan

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 08:20 AM

Nicely done
Posted By: jb20

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 09:02 AM

Sweet congrats man!
Posted By: Shaw

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 11:58 AM

cool beers
Posted By: rblaker

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 12:51 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: CAM

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 01:25 PM

You're ruint now beers thumbup
Posted By: sj22

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 01:32 PM

That’s awesome! Congrats
Posted By: olemossy

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 01:38 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 01:44 PM

That's great. That's also one thing I desperately wanted to do, but never did.
Posted By: AMB

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 02:33 PM

Nice! That’s definitely another level right there.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 02:59 PM

WOOHOO!!

Johnal3,

I'm so tickled for you!

Awesome picture and your smile shows the pride of success and happiness in which many "traditional" guys have and exhibit.

I remember my first trad deer too, on the farm!

I remember selling the bow above to another man and feeling so happy for him and his first deer and our conversations to get him there!

Welcome to the addiction of traditional archery!

May there be many more in your future!

Is the New Breed recurve as quiet as the longbow you were shooting?

God Bless,
David B.

Posted By: mzzy

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 03:06 PM

Congratulations!!
Posted By: treemydog

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 03:33 PM

Trad bows are different animals, and getting a deer with one is about tops. Congrats!
Posted By: Fullthrottle

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 03:34 PM

Good job
Posted By: FlyinRN

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 09:21 PM

Congratulations!
Posted By: Stob

Re: First recurve deer - 02/02/19 09:38 PM

My Hero. Somethin I've never done.
Posted By: Jotjackson

Re: First recurve deer - 02/03/19 12:19 AM

Trad bow harvest just seem to have a different meaning. Congratulations to you!
Posted By: robinhedd

Re: First recurve deer - 02/03/19 12:28 AM

That’s awesome! Congratulations, might have to try for a recurve deer myself. Robinhedd
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: First recurve deer - 02/03/19 12:49 AM

Congrats man.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: First recurve deer - 02/03/19 12:54 AM

Awesome, congrats

Re: First recurve deer - 02/03/19 01:00 AM

Thanks guys! It was a blast. So fun I had to try it again this morning. I’ll start another thread.
Originally Posted by BOFF
WOOHOO!!

Johnal3,

I'm so tickled for you!

Awesome picture and your smile shows the pride of success and happiness in which many "traditional" guys have and exhibit.

I remember my first trad deer too, on the farm!

I remember selling the bow above to another man and feeling so happy for him and his first deer and our conversations to get him there!

Welcome to the addiction of traditional archery!

May there be many more in your future!

God Bless,
David B.

Thanks for the congrats, David. The longbow is much more quiet than the recurve, but I haven’t gotten to where I can shoot it real well. The recurve is still quiet, but that longbow is dang near silent.
I don’t know if it is the grip or just me, but I know I like a small grip and the LB’s grip is rather big. Eventually, I’ll get used to it though....I hope.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: First recurve deer - 02/03/19 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Johnal3
Thanks guys! It was a blast. So fun I had to try it again this morning. I’ll start another thread.
Originally Posted by BOFF

God Bless,
David B.

Thanks for the congrats, David. The longbow is much more quiet than the recurve, but I haven’t gotten to where I can shoot it real well. The recurve is still quiet, but that longbow is dang near silent.
I don’t know if it is the grip or just me, but I know I like a small grip and the LB’s grip is rather big. Eventually, I’ll get used to it though....I hope.

Yep, what I like about the LB, just a quiet, dull...

*Thump*

You'll get used to it.
Or your just gravitate to a LB with the grip you find you prefer.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: First recurve deer - 02/03/19 01:50 AM

Congratulations

Re: First recurve deer - 02/03/19 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by robinhedd
That’s awesome! Congratulations, might have to try for a recurve deer myself. Robinhedd

You and all the other guys that are wanting to try it should jump off into it. It’s a leap I’ll never forget. Eventually that really good buck is gonna come by at 30 and I think I’ll be just fine with it. Maybe. grin
Posted By: Clem

Re: First recurve deer - 02/03/19 02:32 AM

Awesome. Congrats! beers
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: First recurve deer - 02/03/19 07:59 AM

Congrats
Posted By: Woodsman8

Re: First recurve deer - 02/04/19 05:26 PM

Congrats John! So happy for you! You're a natural.
Posted By: Booger

Re: First recurve deer - 02/04/19 10:54 PM

Congrats trad brother. You're right, shooting a nanny with one will shake you up. I sold my hunting compound years ago. I love my longbow.

Re: First recurve deer - 02/05/19 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Booger
Congrats trad brother. You're right, shooting a nanny with one will shake you up. I sold my hunting compound years ago. I love my longbow.

I don’t know that I’m selling mine just yet, but it’s definitly at the back of the line for now.

Re: First recurve deer - 02/05/19 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Woodsman8
Congrats John! So happy for you! You're a natural.

I don’t know about a natural......I just have good resources! wink
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: First recurve deer - 02/05/19 01:39 AM

Congrats
Posted By: TGbow

Re: First recurve deer - 02/05/19 10:21 AM

Congratulations! Sounds lie you have a passion and a knack for the recurve.
Posted By: Lester

Re: First recurve deer - 02/05/19 10:46 AM

It takes a lot of personal discipline to take on mastering a skill that not everyone has the patience to master. I think traditional archery is one of those skills. And, when you successfully put that skill into practice, there is a unique feeling of pride and accomplishment that is hard to match.

Congratulations on your success!

Jeff
Posted By: Woodsman8

Re: First recurve deer - 02/05/19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lester
It takes a lot of personal discipline to take on mastering a skill that not everyone has the patience to master. I think traditional archery is one of those skills. And, when you successfully put that skill into practice, there is a unique feeling of pride and accomplishment that is hard to match.

Jeff

Very well put Lester!

Re: First recurve deer - 02/05/19 10:50 PM

Jeff

Very well put Lester!

No doubt it’s well put. I will say this.... All of this came together really quick, and is almost bitter sweet that it happened so soon. I haven’t hunted a whole bunch this season, but have hunted some. These 2 deer I killed have been the closest ones to me all year. It’s almost funny how it just worked out.
Posted By: AC870

Re: First recurve deer - 02/06/19 04:22 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: jb20

Re: First recurve deer - 02/06/19 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Johnal3

Jeff

Very well put Lester!

No doubt it’s well put. I will say this.... All of this came together really quick, and is almost bitter sweet that it happened so soon. I haven’t hunted a whole bunch this season, but have hunted some. These 2 deer I killed have been the closest ones to me all year. It’s almost funny how it just worked out.

Sometimes u just gotta step out..congrats
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: First recurve deer - 02/06/19 01:42 PM

Nice
© 2024 ALDEER.COM