Aldeer.com

Target?

Posted By: Irishguy

Target? - 11/22/18 09:54 PM

So I've got 2 traditional bows now. Both Bear Montana longbows. 30# and 50#. I'm going to start with the 30# and work up to the 50# with the long range plan of eventually hunting with it. But I've got to practice, so I want to put together a nice looking target that won't look like crap in our suburban neighborhood.

I'm thinking about building about a 6'x6' frame with feet and a little roof on it to keep off the rain. Brace it so I can move it around the yard if I want to. i will probably hang the target in it, and hang a nicely trimmed up piece of carpet behind the target as a backstop. (I read on an archery forum that if you just hang the carpet from the top only, it will give and stop the arrows.) I'll stain the wood with deck stain so it won't look bad.

As I get better with the bow I plan on working up to 3D targets and I'm thinking of building an archery course on my cabin property with trails and several 3D targets that I can "stalk" and shoot from different distances and elevations for practice, but for now I just want to get good with the longbow.

Does that sound like a decent solution, or do you guys have better ideas.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Target? - 11/23/18 01:53 AM

Sounds good, I’ve seen some targets made by folks over on archery talk similar

Re: Target? - 11/26/18 12:17 AM

Well... The hanging carpet didn't work so well. I've had at least one arrow go all the way through it. Next stop is Tractor Supply and I'm going to pick up a 4'x6' rubber stall mat. I will hang it from the top.

Here's the finished target built out of scrap wood. I still need to clean it and stain it. The carpet is gone now and I'm waiting on getting back into town and get the stall mat which will completely cover the back of the frame. And yes I know my shooting is horrendous, but I'm just getting the feel for a longbow at 40 yards. There are so many variables. Shooting a traditional bow is a lot like golf or field goal kicking.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Target? - 11/26/18 01:01 AM

40 yds with a long bow? Hell i wouldnt even hit anywhere in the carpet or shed area with one, those take a lot of practice, looks like you doing pretty good with it though.
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Target? - 11/26/18 01:17 PM

Looks good.
Ay 40 yards with the longbow you are doing great.

I never shot a deer past 25 with my longbow, as it was to me, to see how close I could get them.

Never shot a deer past 35 with a compound.

Nice set up.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Target? - 11/26/18 03:14 PM

Start at 10 yards,shoot a spot the size of a silver dollar. Don't move until you can hit it 9 out of 10 times,then move to 15 and so forth. That was the advice given to me by a world champ.
Posted By: RobertM

Re: Target? - 11/26/18 05:08 PM

When I shoot groups like that, I just claim to be using the whole target instead of one small area. thumbup
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Target? - 11/26/18 05:26 PM

I only see 2 holes in the carpet so you must be doing pretty good!

Re: Target? - 11/26/18 11:45 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. And the kind words. Everytime I have a decent group of shots I think "I got this!" And then the next time I miss the target entirely and I spend 15 minutes looking for an arrow. grin

I've got to get more instinctive and that's going to come with practice. Which is why I built it and why I'm going to try to shoot everyday possible.

There were great longbow archers from the middle ages up to the modern age, so I know it's possible.

When you hit that target right where you are aiming it's a good feeling.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Target? - 11/27/18 04:32 AM

Looks good

Re: Target? - 11/27/18 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Irishguy
Everytime I have a decent group of shots I think "I got this!" And then the next time I miss the target entirely and I spend 15 minutes looking for an arrow. grin

I've missed so bad I missed the target and ground. Of course I claim this proves the Rob's "greatness" because it takes a special kinda skill to miss the Earth.

Re: Target? - 11/28/18 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by RobertM
Originally Posted by Irishguy
Everytime I have a decent group of shots I think "I got this!" And then the next time I miss the target entirely and I spend 15 minutes looking for an arrow. grin

I've missed so bad I missed the target and ground. Of course I claim this proves the Rob's "greatness" because it takes a special kinda skill to miss the Earth.

I think I missed the Earth with one of my $10 Beamen arrows, because I haven't found it anywhere.

Re: Target? - 11/28/18 08:27 PM

Exactly. thumbup

But since I've improved a great deal, I can now hit the ground or trees when I hit. rofl
Posted By: WARPhEAGLE

Re: Target? - 12/02/18 01:55 AM

I like your frame set up. Nice. I'm sure the more you practice, your groups will look good too.
Posted By: Fun4all

Re: Target? - 12/02/18 04:13 PM

Watch some Rick Welch videos. Maybe purchase one of his videos. Also, tradgang.com has get advice!

Re: Target? - 12/04/18 05:41 PM

Hey guys,

I just looked back at this thread, and I lied. I rechecked everything and that previous group was at 20 yards. I must have estimated/measured something wrong.

Still practicing and I have reworked the target using hay bales after some experimenting. I used a board on top and a ratchet strap to compress the bales to the arrows wouldn't go too deep. I have also ditched the original target because it just had too much stuff going on in my sight picture. I just switched to simple cardboard with a dot in the middle.

I've been focusing on my back tension, having a nice smooth release and follow and keeping my eyes focused on the target all the way through the arrow strike. This has tightened my groups up, but I'm still tending to pull shots to the left unless I really focus on my release. My arrows are flying straighter through the air I've noticed too.

[Linked Image]

It's feeling better and I'm having lots of fun. It's actually very relaxing shooting the longbow. I'm trying to shoot about 30 minutes a day.

Re: Target? - 12/04/18 05:48 PM

thumbup
© 2024 ALDEER.COM