Aldeer.com

What would you do?

Posted By: jono23

What would you do? - 10/18/18 10:34 PM

I unexpectedly am getting a chance to hunt this Saturday. I'll be in Huntsville so I'll get a chance to go out on Wheeler. I have a spot I hunted a few years ago out there where I saw deer, but never got a shot. If you only had one day to hunt, would you "blindly" set up in that spot and then spend the mid-day scouting a potentially better spot for the afternoon? I figure the other option is to wait till it's light out and quickly scout a spot.

Just un-decided on what would be best. I'll be happy and blessed just to be in a tree, but also I like shooting deer with sharp sticks.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: What would you do? - 10/18/18 11:29 PM

I would go in after it’s light for about 30 minutes and walk a hundred yards, stop, and listen for acorns dropping. Find deer sign under one of them and then sit the rest of the day.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: What would you do? - 10/18/18 11:55 PM

What about Skyline? Even though I haven't been there in 3 years, I can make you a map of a place where you should at least see a doe.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: What would you do? - 10/19/18 12:27 AM

I would plan on hunting the same spot where you saw deer and if you haven’t seen anything by 9, get down and find some fresh sign.
Posted By: albamer

Re: What would you do? - 10/19/18 01:06 AM

Wheeler sunday?
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: What would you do? - 10/19/18 01:27 AM

If your like me, youll hunt one spot and kick yourself for not hunting the other spot.

Re: What would you do? - 10/19/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by albamer
Wheeler sunday?

I'd have the place to myself grin

Re: What would you do? - 10/19/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by foldemup
What about Skyline? Even though I haven't been there in 3 years, I can make you a map of a place where you should at least see a doe.

At wheeler, I can hunt and be home in time for dinner at the parents/inlaws. I might take you up on that map later on in the season though...
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: What would you do? - 10/19/18 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer
I would go in after it’s light for about 30 minutes and walk a hundred yards, stop, and listen for acorns dropping. Find deer sign under one of them and then sit the rest of the day.

^^^^^
Posted By: Hoss606

Re: What would you do? - 11/21/18 07:58 PM

I’ll take you up on that if you don’t mind
Posted By: mcninja

Re: What would you do? - 11/21/18 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss606

I’ll take you up on that if you don’t mind

x3 smile
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: What would you do? - 11/21/18 10:10 PM

Ride the road slowly while looking for road crossings. Park 50 yards away, follow the trail in for 50 yards and go up a tree 20 yards down wind from the trail.
Posted By: jb20

Re: What would you do? - 11/22/18 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
Ride the road slowly while looking for road crossings. Park 50 yards away, follow the trail in for 50 yards and go up a tree 20 yards down wind from the trail.

Professional road Hunter grin
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: What would you do? - 11/22/18 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by jb20
Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

Professional road Hunter grin

HA! I used to hunt Wheeler a lot when I was younger but the road crossings usually produced a deer.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM