Aldeer.com

Windage adjustment

Posted By: 40Bucks

Windage adjustment - 10/15/18 12:37 AM

Sighting in my bow recently I was dead on target for windage and elevation at 20 yards. Then moving out to 30 and 40 yards, respectively, my elevation was slightly low but windage was way right. Like 6" right. Groups were consistent at each distance so I'm wondering if it was more shooter error or if my setup is off. Thoughts?
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Windage adjustment - 10/15/18 01:00 AM

Are you using the level in your sight? If so, you need to bump your rest a little to the left.

https://shootingtime.com/archery/walk-back-tuning-compound-bow/
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Windage adjustment - 10/15/18 01:29 AM

Either you shoot with your bow slightly angled, or your sight or rest is out of level. Like Shaw said, you can buy a little stick on bubble level and know for sure. You probably hold your bow at a slight angle.

I hold my rifle slightly canted, so I rotate my scope. Works perfect for me, but if anybody else uses my rifle they get a similar experience as your bow.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Windage adjustment - 10/15/18 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by 40Bucks
Sighting in my bow recently I was dead on target for windage and elevation at 20 yards. Then moving out to 30 and 40 yards, respectively, my elevation was slightly low but windage was way right. Like 6" right. Groups were consistent at each distance so I'm wondering if it was more shooter error or if my setup is off. Thoughts?

Just asking, but were your original settings with field points, and now you are using broadheads?

Re: Windage adjustment - 10/15/18 01:15 PM

Sonny,
Yes, I'm using the level. But that walk back tuning info makes me think the rest if off a bit.

Dan,
Yes. I started with field points and this grouping was with broadheads.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Windage adjustment - 10/15/18 01:21 PM

40, your broadheads are probably steering the arrow. You probably need finer tuning.

Re: Windage adjustment - 10/15/18 02:54 PM

I'm using slick tricks 100g
One of the edges had a chip knocked out of it about a 1/3 of the length of that edge. Thinking on it that was a factor too I guess. But I would have thought it would have affected the 20 yd shot as well.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: Windage adjustment - 10/15/18 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 40Bucks
I'm using slick tricks 100g
One of the edges had a chip knocked out of it about a 1/3 of the length of that edge. Thinking on it that was a factor too I guess. But I would have thought it would have affected the 20 yd shot as well.

Any issue is going to be amplified at 40 yards compared to 20. I would be willing to bet the broadheads are the culprit if your groups were still consistent. Shoot your field points at 40 and then shoot your broadheads again. If the field points are dead on, and the broadheads are still right, you’ve found your answer. Then adjust your sight to make sure the broadheads are dialed in or try a different style broadhead
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Windage adjustment - 10/15/18 03:23 PM

No to the above. Don’t adjust the sight to the broadheads. Your only masking a tuning issue. Walk back tune the bow first, then try the broadheads again. What bow are shooting 40?
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Windage adjustment - 10/15/18 03:27 PM

Shaw's right, don't adjust sight to BH. first of all, every time you practiced, you would have to aim left, lol. Secondly, you're only short cutting to mask a tuning issue by doing that. Walk back tunings a breeze and theres several videos on how to do it if you never have.

Re: Windage adjustment - 10/15/18 06:02 PM

I will do the walk back thing and fine tune accordingly.

I'm shooting a Mission Eliminator II.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM