Aldeer.com

Any "saddle" hunters on here?

Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/01/18 12:21 PM

Thinking about switching to the tree saddle method and Wild Edge Steppe Ladder steps. I have an original tree lounge, and love it, but I just can't haul that sucker around anymore unless I know exactly what tree I want to be in, etc. This will also reduce the amount of stuff strapped to my kayak when I use it.

I'm a public land owner/hunter and run and gun is my normal tactic.

I've read all the stuff on saddle hunter forums, YouTube, etc; just thought I'd see if any of yall are running this setup.
Posted By: Hornmtn

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/01/18 05:37 PM

I am interested as well. Seems like it would be a lot nicer than finding the perfect tree to climb that is not in the perfect spot.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/01/18 07:01 PM

I’m not sure that could make an accurate shot without standing on a platform.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/01/18 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by bigcountry692001

I've worried about that as well, but they seem to be pretty stable and allow better "T" shooting form.

The whole reason I'm not flying planes in the Marine Corps anymore is because I had lumbar spine surgery. So for me, if can probably practice my shots and get "good enough" for a 20-30 yard poke while hanging that would be worth it not to have to hump around a crap ton of gear.

Decisions, decisions...
Posted By: smokinya

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/05/18 07:47 AM

I've hunted from the Quidos web for a few years and switched to the Kestrel this year. I use 4 - 5 wild edge stepps to get to hunting height using an aider (swaider). Haven't used a climber since switching. As far as accurate shooting from my saddles I actually shoot as good in it as I do off the ground and practice out to 60 yards out of it. I love being so mobile and having more options to hunt the perfect spot due to more choices on trees you can hunt!!!
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/05/18 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by smokinya
I've hunted from the Quidos web for a few years and switched to the Kestrel this year. I use 4 - 5 wild edge stepps to get to hunting height using an aider (swaider). Haven't used a climber since switching. As far as accurate shooting from my saddles I actually shoot as good in it as I do off the ground and practice out to 60 yards out of it. I love being so mobile and having more options to hunt the perfect spot due to more choices on trees you can hunt!!!
Is the kestrel comfortable? I've heard some people say it's bad about hip pinch. I need something comfortable enough for an all day sit.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/05/18 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by 7x57_Mauser

I've worried about that as well, but they seem to be pretty stable and allow better "T" shooting form.

The whole reason I'm not flying planes in the Marine Corps anymore is because I had lumbar spine surgery. So for me, if can probably practice my shots and get "good enough" for a 20-30 yard poke while hanging that would be worth it not to have to hump around a crap ton of gear.

Decisions, decisions...

Tetherd nation makes a small platform but if I need sticks or steps to get in the tree and a platform to stand on I might as well use my hang on
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/05/18 04:57 PM

How do you take a leak in one?
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/05/18 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer
How do you take a leak in one?

If you're a bank walker you just lift your pants leg a lil bit and air it out.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/05/18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Forrestgump1
Originally Posted by smokinya
Is the kestrel comfortable? I've heard some people say it's bad about hip pinch. I need something comfortable enough for an all day sit.

I hunted out of it opening week in Kentucky and first couple of days I felt hip pinch but I lowered the tether height like other saddle hunters say to do and wore the Kestrel a little lower and it was really comfortable. The web is still the most comfortable saddle out but I like the Kestrel better!

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/06/18 02:06 PM

Decisions, decisions...

Well I took the plunge and ordered an Aero Hunter Kestrel. It's backordered, so I'm hoping it will be here before the rut, if not...lesson learned and I'll just have to hump some gear in. Also waited to long on the Wild Edge steps, backordered too... slap

Plan on doing a lot of practicing in my backyard before actually hunting.

I'm really hoping this is the ticket for me, as I'm going to be using water access a lot around the state and the less gear/weight the better.
Posted By: AUstan23

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/06/18 02:39 PM

Decisions, decisions...

Well I took the plunge and ordered an Aero Hunter Kestrel. It's backordered, so I'm hoping it will be here before the rut, if not...lesson learned and I'll just have to hump some gear in. Also waited to long on the Wild Edge steps, backordered too... slap

I'm really hoping this is the ticket for me, as I'm going to be using water access a lot around the state and the less gear/weight the better.

I'd like an honest review after the season if you get around to it. I might end up ditching the hang on and climber.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/06/18 02:52 PM

Definitely interested in hearing what y’all think about them

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/06/18 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by AUstan23

Decisions, decisions...

I'd like an honest review after the season if you get around to it. I might end up ditching the hang on and climber.

Will do. Was scouting an area today that's "way back there" and was thinking how nice it would be to not have to hump 15-20lbs of stand back there, not to mention after kayaking to it, and then I turned around and somebody had left a climber on a tree from last year. haha

I can only imagine how far that dude toted that stand in if he didn't get there by water...
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/07/18 12:03 AM

No way to drop ass out of one of those.
Posted By: Hoss606

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/07/18 09:31 PM

I’m making my first hunt out of one now.
Posted By: AUstan23

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/08/18 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hoss606

Thoughts?
Posted By: jono23

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/08/18 12:33 AM

I thought about getting one last year after reading one the Eberhart books. It was basically a giant ad for whatever saddle he used and carbon lock clothing...but it still sounded interesting.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/09/18 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by AUstan23

Thoughts?

So far I like it. I got 2 sits out of it. Second sit was better than first. I need a longer bridge (I bought it with a fixed bridge from a buddy and it’s to short for me). I also want to get the predator platform.
Posted By: TGbow

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/09/18 11:33 PM

How is the comfort factor? I've considered one myself but not sure about the comfort part.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/11/18 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by TGbow
How is the comfort factor? I've considered one myself but not sure about the comfort part.

Better than my lone wolf hang on but not as comfy as my summit Goliath. The predator platform is much better than the step IMO

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/12/18 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by TGbow

Better than my lone wolf hang on but not as comfy as my summit Goliath. The predator platform is much better than the step IMO

IF... there was any chance of me using a saddle I’d definitely need the predator platform
Posted By: gobbler30

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/15/18 05:16 PM

I hunted for the first time last year in a trophyline saddle and really liked it. I sold it and ordered the Tethrd Mantis and predator platform . The predator has arrived ,but I’m still waiting for the mantis. Can’t wait for it to arrive.

Hunting from a saddle opens up more opportunities , such as smaller treees that you can’t hunt from a traditional stand/climber.
Posted By: James

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/15/18 05:57 PM

Hell i thought you were talking about a horse grin

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/15/18 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by gobbler30
I hunted for the first time last year in a trophyline saddle and really liked it. I sold it and ordered the Tethrd Mantis and predator platform . The predator has arrived ,but I’m still waiting for the mantis. Can’t wait for it to arrive.

Hunting from a saddle opens up more opportunities , such as smaller treees that you can’t hunt from a traditional stand/climber.

Sitting in my Kestrel saddle right now in a tree only a saddle hunter could hunt!!
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/16/18 01:39 AM

Those things look like a nightmare. They look uncomfortable. Can you lean back against anything in them? How do you pee out of one? How do you take a sky dump out of one?

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/16/18 01:34 PM

Pee same way as u do in climber. As far as taking a dump in a tree I have never done that and I hunted for 29 years. I get down and crap in a hole or in a creek if I have to that bad. Leaning back...... they have a back band which is a must have in my opinion and supports your back nicely.
Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
Those things look like a nightmare. They look uncomfortable. Can you lean back against anything in them? How do you pee out of one? How do you take a sky dump out of one?

Pee same way as u do in climber. As far as taking a dump in a tree I have never done that and I have hunted for 29 years. I get down and crap in a hole or in a creek if I have to that bad. Leaning back...... they have a back band which is a must have in my opinion and supports your back nicely.
Posted By: beeline08

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/19/18 06:49 PM

what do you guys use for climbing? sticks or steps

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/19/18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by beeline08
what do you guys use for climbing? sticks or steps

I’m using sticks. I should have some wildedge steps for next season to try
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 02:15 AM

So here is my question. Are you actually saving any weight? I wouldn’t be opposed to trying saddle hunting, but i don’t really see how it’s any lighter than my 12lb x stand. From what I’ve researched, you pretty much would have to use a pair of carbon fiber climbing spikes, and a light saddle to come out ahead. Toting around a pair of 10lb climbing sticks seems to completely defeat the purpose. What am I missing here?

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Atoler
So here is my question. Are you actually saving any weight? I wouldn’t be opposed to trying saddle hunting, but i don’t really see how it’s any lighter than my 12lb x stand. From what I’ve researched, you pretty much would have to use a pair of carbon fiber climbing spikes, and a light saddle to come out ahead. Toting around a pair of 10lb climbing sticks seems to completely defeat the purpose. What am I missing here?

These are some of my thoughts too. I’m curious and wouldn’t mind checking one out but if I’m not cutting a significant amount weight I don’t see many more advantages.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 12:00 PM

These are some of my thoughts too. I’m curious and wouldn’t mind checking one out but if I’m not cutting a significant amount weight I don’t see many more advantages.

I think you leave the sticks on the tree but I could be wrong?

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb

Most guys that saddle hunt are hunting different trees and areas every sit and packing them in and out. I hunt public land so definitely don’t leave anything in the woods.
Posted By: jarcher38

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 03:10 PM

I have a kestrel and absolutely love it. Probably not going to hunt from anything else this season. For me everything fits in my pack and I either carry my sticks in or strap them to my pack. I’m under 20lbs with this style of hunting. And was closer to 30lb with my summit razor and pack. The Saddle is more streamlined system. It took me while to figure out how I like it set up. But once you figure the sweet spot as they call it it’s really comfortable and very versatile. I’m new saddle hunter so I’m still learning, but glad I ventured out to see what it’s about.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Beadlescomb

Most guys that saddle hunt are hunting different trees and areas every sit and packing them in and out. I hunt public land so definitely don’t leave anything in the woods.

Yes most are hunting public or private where they don’t hunt the same tree each hunt. Packing everything in and packing out each hunt. So going to a saddle gives you the weight reduction and more options when choosing a tree. Rough estimating here, my summit Goliath and all my gear I was sitting around 36lbs, lonewolf/ sticks/ gear sitting around 30lbs and saddle/ sticks/ gear sitting around 20lbs. I feel safer in the saddle than a climber or hang on. I’m also able to move through thick bush quieter, climb rocks on the mountain with less effort than with a climber or hang on.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 07:08 PM

20lbs would be my problem with the saddle. I’m about 16.5 with my. Stand, harness, and gear except for weapon.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 08:39 PM

20lbs would be my problem with the saddle. I’m about 16.5 with my. Stand, harness, and gear except for weapon.

What method do you use to climb?
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 08:46 PM

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by gcr0003

X stand sit and climb. It’s a legitimate 12lbs. Then I carry a rangefinder, pull rope, bow hanger, and harness tether in a small fanny pack. I pack a little more during the rut, but that’s my bow season 4-5 hour sit setup.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 11:23 PM

What safety harness are y'all wearing in the saddles?

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by gcr0003

X stand sit and climb. It’s a legitimate 12lbs. Then I carry a rangefinder, pull rope, bow hanger, and harness tether in a small fanny pack. I pack a little more during the rut, but that’s my bow season 4-5 hour sit setup.

That’s a light stand for sure. I didn’t like several things about the stand, the biggest was tree options.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/23/18 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

None. The saddle is your harness
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/24/18 12:02 AM

The saddle is your stand not your safety harness. Good luck with that.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/24/18 12:18 AM

Yeah the whole point of a safety harness in a stand is so that you don’t have the opportunity for a single point failure.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/24/18 12:44 AM

Thank you so far so good

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 10/24/18 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer

Yeah the whole point of a safety harness in a stand is so that you don’t have the opportunity for a single point failure.

Statistically speaking, there is a probability of both your stand and safety harness failing. Better add another safety harness, just to be safe.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 11/26/18 11:12 PM

Tree saddle came in today boys! Already messed around with it in the backyard hanging on a tree. I think I'm REALLY going to like using this setup versus humping in a heavy climber. Will try to get some pictures if I can figure out where I can host them.

Stay tuned!
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 11/26/18 11:13 PM

Following this thread, hope it works out well
Posted By: kntree

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 11/26/18 11:31 PM

Tree saddle came in today boys! Already messed around with it in the backyard hanging on a tree. I think I'm REALLY going to like using this setup versus humping in a heavy climber. Will try to get some pictures if I can figure out where I can host them.

Stay tuned!

Just ordered one, I made the decision after sweating like a geyser carrying my climber today, even though it is very lightweight.

Let me know how the learning curve is for comfort. I heard it can take some tweaking. I'll be using it for both bow and gun hunting.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 12/27/18 01:14 AM

First saddle hunt today. Setup is the Aero Hunter Kestrel and climbing system is Wild Edge Stepp Ladder.

Hung out in the tree from about 2:15pm to dark. No real issues other than I forgot my knee pads and had to use my pack as a cushion, but that actually worked out pretty well.

There's a bit of a learning curve associated and I practiced going up and down trees in my yard before hitting the woods.

Oh, and didn't see any deer. Pretty sure some poaching was happening in the cutover behind me, since nobody should be shooting a gun on Cahaba WMA today.

Hanging out
[Linked Image]

Wild Edge "Stepp" Ladder system
[Linked Image]

Jerry Rigged Bow Holder
[Linked Image]

Posted By: grundan

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 12/27/18 02:54 AM

So how do you rate the comfort? Comparing it to a lock on stand.
Can you use this system with cold weather bibbs and jacket etc?
Weight of steps and your system?

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 12/27/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by grundan
So how do you rate the comfort? Comparing it to a lock on stand.
Can you use this system with cold weather bibbs and jacket etc?
Weight of steps and your system?

Comfort was about a 7.5/10 (I'd consider the Tree Lounge to be a 10/10, but I have no experience with lock on stands) and that discomfort was certainly due to the failed back surgery I had back in 2014. Sometimes, I get a cramping sensation in my right piriformis muscle. I didn't realize that I still had my wallet in my back right pocket, and the saddle was causing it to press into me pretty good. Once I got it out, the "pain" started to subside.

You can definitely wear cold weather gear, as the waist and thigh adjustments have plenty of let out. You can add top layers while in the tree since all the attachments are around waist height.

I wore my saddle in, so that weight really isn't really felt, but I think my saddle, ropes, and carabiners weigh around 5-6lbs. Set of 10 steps weighs about 11lbs. Water bottle was probably another 1lb, knife, .45, bow hanger, probably another 3lbs. It was definitely lighter than packing in the only climbers I have, which are tree lounges.

Some lessons learned from practicing in the yard and yesterday:

1) You need footwear that has a shank to it. The arches of your feet will be sore the next day if you're using something like Merrell hiking shoes or something. I wore my Kennetreks yesterday and they were great.

2) Prusik knots can be a bit of a PITA. I've already ordered Ropeman 1 ascenders to replace them so I can have 1 hand operation on my lineman's belt and tree strap.

3) Knee pads are a must. I lucked out and was able to strap my pack to the tree so I could rest against it, and it actually worked out pretty well.

4) A platform would be even better than steps or climbing sticks. I'll probably add a Predator platform, or end up making something.

5) You'll need to practice to find the optimum height above your head for the tree strap. Obviously, there's an upper limit (how high you can reach), but for me higher was better as you're not leaned back as far.

6) I'm not 100% proficient on getting the loop tension correct on the Wild Edge Stepps, so climbing was a little slower than normal since I had to re-tie

7) SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY - check and re-check your gear. Back in the day I was a high ropes safety instructor, and this was drilled in me.

that's about all I can think of right now. Check out YouTube for saddle review / instructional videos.
Posted By: bdw32

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 12/28/18 06:49 PM

I see that first lite camo! Best stuff I’ve ever worn.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 12/29/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by bdw32
I see that first lite camo! Best stuff I’ve ever worn.

Hell yeah it is! First Lite has the best customer service I've ever experienced. They basically gave me $140 of store credit because the jacket I bought went on sale the next week. Couldn't believe it...

Anyways, another good hang yesterday in the saddle out on public land. I'm still dialing in my system and where to hang things, etc...

About 16:15 I had a doe dead to rights at 27yds, but she still had a fawn (karma) and the pack out would've been more than I wanted on account of it being so warm. I was also hoping a buck was trailing her. I took a video with my iPhone, but I'm not sure I can post it here. I'll try to put up a You Tube link or something...

I also used the Ropeman 1's on my tree strap AND my lineman's belt. Let me tell you, it makes adjustment a breeze. It's MUCH more simple since you can use only 1 hand to take in or let out rope. I won't be going back to friction hitches, but I may try to find a way to back up the Ropeman 1 ascender.

This is a Ropeman 1 Ascender (no affiliation with REI)

https://www.rei.com/product/115422/wild-country-ropeman-1-ascender

Takeaways:

Pros: 1 handed operation (even with gloves), quick adjustments give higher confidence (I've had a couple times trying to tighten a Prussic where I felt unsafe), won't get unnecessarily tight like a Prussic knot / friction hitch when it gets wet

Cons: more money to spend (about $44 a piece), not intended to be a life saving device (you can read all about their specs and failure modes. Bottom line, ascenders aren't made to take the shock of a long fall, but that shouldn't be a problem since you're already on tension), weigh more than a Prussic / friction hitch.

Short video of the doe milling around. Be prepared to see a deer, in the woods, don't get your hopes up for anything cool!!!!

https://youtu.be/WMsUqGYeXDY
Posted By: bdw32

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 12/30/18 03:11 PM

You won’t need a back up for your ascender. Just keep an eye on your rope for wear and inspect your ascender regularly. Should be fine. I’ve got to get me one of these saddles.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 12/30/18 11:44 PM

As already mentioned, the ascender is great on the lineman’s belt I use. 1 hand adjustment makes it easier
Posted By: rolltidehunter

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 01/01/19 12:22 AM

Anybody on here have a saddle or know anybody that wants to sell.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 01/01/19 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by rolltidehunter
Anybody on here have a saddle or know anybody that wants to sell.

Check out www.saddlehunter.com, there are always people selling stuff over there.
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 01/01/19 04:58 PM

I ordered a mantis Dec 7th. I'm hoping it gets here soon. I've got several options for getting up a tree already. My plan right now is to use 4 to 5 wild edge steps with a knaider and swaider. I should be less than 10 lbs with that system. I can't tote a stand anymore due to back issues.

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 01/01/19 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by bowtarist
I ordered a mantis Dec 7th. I'm hoping it gets here soon. I've got several options for getting up a tree already. My plan right now is to use 4 to 5 wild edge steps with a knaider and swaider. I should be less than 10 lbs with that system. I can't tote a stand anymore due to back issues.

On Sunday, I got about 35' (too high) with 7 steps and an aider, 3 steps as a platform. Going up with an aider was easier than descending with one. Make sure you have a good headlamp.
Posted By: Kbrewhunter1

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 01/03/19 01:35 AM

I apologize if this is already covered earlier but what’s the average cost to get started in saddle hunting ? What is the minimum gear you need and where do you get it? Does saddle hunting all 360 degree hunting? Thanks for the info

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 01/04/19 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kbrewhunter1
I apologize if this is already covered earlier but what’s the average cost to get started in saddle hunting ? What is the minimum gear you need and where do you get it? Does saddle hunting all 360 degree hunting? Thanks for the info

As with most things, it depends. Do you want a full-up kit? Or do you want to piece a kit together? New or used? I'm into my saddle for about $350. After that it's whatever climbing method you want to do.

The amount of coverage you get depends on what kind of platform, ring of steps, etc that you use and how your gear is setup.

Check out www.aerohunter.us for the saddle that I have, which is the Kestrel. I'm very happy with it. I logged another 4 hours in the saddle today, but only saw a spike.
Posted By: Kbrewhunter1

Re: Any "saddle" hunters on here? - 01/04/19 12:50 PM

Ok cool thanks I will take a look at it. I would most likely piece it together because of the price and wouldn’t mind getting used stuff. I just don’t know what all I need. I have an ancient steel climber that I am ready to upgrade to lighter more efficient option that will allow lots of climbing choicest
© 2024 ALDEER.COM