Aldeer.com

Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop

Posted By: Bar7Mag

Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/11/18 12:01 AM

My son is shooting archery for his school team. His form was not good. He kept pulling back way too far. We talked a lot about being coachable and what that meant at his last tournament. His coach at school had been trying to help but honestly Aydan is so shy when the coach would try to help Aydan would just freeze up. I knew we needed help from a pro. I also needed to get my new z2 set up. We spent the afternoon with George and he got my bow shooting bullet holes. He checked my sons bow and added a tied on nock and a set of finger savers. Once the bows were set up it was range time. He worked with Aydan until he was consistently getting his form correct. I got to have a great conversation while this happened with my son about what being coachable meant and it finally clicked with him. He was shooting much better by the time we left. The new shop was great! The customer service was excellent.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ZS81

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/11/18 12:44 AM

thumbup
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/11/18 03:50 AM

Can't ask for much more than that thumbup
Posted By: RobertM

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/12/18 12:51 PM

Outstanding. Glad you and your son got squared away. thumbup

I've been saying it for years that George Harris is the best tech/coach around. George is one of only 2 people I'll let work on my bows (Shaw being the other). If a person isn't shooting as good as they would like, whether it's the bow or the shooter, they owe it to their selves to talk with George as he can get to the root of the issue better than anyone I've never seen.

And if "The Rob" is there when you stop by, you'll get to see electrifying display of smacktalk that only The Rob and George can display. rofl
Posted By: bobwallace

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/12/18 06:29 PM

Only person I've ever taken any bow to. George is a good fella.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/12/18 07:13 PM

George is the man.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/12/18 08:55 PM

Where is the new shop?

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/12/18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by foldemup
Where is the new shop?

About a mile north of the old one. Same side of the road, between the skate center and autozone.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/13/18 01:18 AM

My son shot another tournament tonight at 6. He beat his previous high score by over 50 points. He is on cloud 9.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/13/18 01:20 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Clem

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/13/18 02:13 AM

That's awesome. Congrats to your son! Sounds like his confidence level is soaring.

When I leave CAC I usually shoot better. I wanna chain smoke and drink JetFuel coffee, too. laugh

Seriously, I've known George ever since he and Bernie ran that cramped-ass North Alabama Outdoors store in the shopping area where Rosie's is (on the Parkway). Always helpful, always honest. Always wants to sell me a new Mathews, too. I may take him up on it one day.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/13/18 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bar7Mag
My son shot another tournament tonight at 6. He beat his previous high score by over 50 points. He is on cloud 9.

That's what I'm talkin' about. WOOOOooooo!!!!! Stand back and let the Big Dog step to the line and show you how to pinwheel that target. cool Two thumps up from The Rob. thumbup thumbup

Now Archery skills is like buying a car. The stuff George showed him is the down payment, consistently practicing those skills is the monthly payments and steps to owning the skills.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/13/18 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Clem
That's awesome. Congrats to your son! Sounds like his confidence level is soaring.

When I leave CAC I usually shoot better. I wanna chain smoke and drink JetFuel coffee, too. laugh

Seriously, I've known George ever since he and Bernie ran that cramped-ass North Alabama Outdoors store in the shopping area where Rosie's is (on the Parkway). Always helpful, always honest. Always wants to sell me a new Mathews, too. I may take him up on it one day.

Everything I write a check, I'll ask George "Do I make this out to Custom Archery Outdoors?". He'll give me the bird and I'll say "But ain't you Bernie", to which he gives me a double bird.

I've given George so much crap over the years it ain't funny. One time at the old store by the river (North Alabama Outdoors) George was starting the press a High Country bow that had a cracked limb. I was about to come in the side door and George had his back to me. The roof of the store was tin, so I grabbed a hand full of rocks and tossed them up on the roof. Those rocks made the loudest noise you'd ever heard. I've never seen George jump that high before or after that. It took me 15 or 20 minutes to quit rolling on the ground laughing and it took long for some of the other folks in the store to stop laughing.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/13/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by RobertM

I grabbed a hand full of rocks and tossed them up on the roof. Those rocks made the loudest noise you'd ever heard. I've never seen George jump that high before or after that. It took me 15 or 20 minutes to quit rolling on the ground laughing and it took long for some of the other folks in the store to stop laughing.

Oh my dayum that's hilarious. Wish I coulda seen that.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/13/18 05:33 PM

If you really want to see George get embarrassed, ask him about how he settled the sting and cables on a high let off Pearson bow. rofl rofl rofl

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/14/18 02:56 AM

He gave my son pointers for shooting and a hard time I think that means he liked him. We are at the lake now for spring break and Aydan had to bring his bow with him to practice. His little brothers are shooting with him now.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/14/18 01:17 PM

I had to go by the store yesterday to pick up some tax stuff and told George how well Aydan did. George just smiled and humbly said "Well, I just try to help folks". He also said Aydan has a lot of natural shooting talent and with a little work he could be a really good shooter.

Keep me posted on Aydan's progress.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/14/18 02:15 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. He is loving to shoot. We will keep you posted. Maybe we can shoot sometime at a 3D.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/14/18 04:56 PM

I like george, bought my first and only bow from him years ago. Did he say "good morning at 400 pm?

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/14/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by AUwrestler
I like george, bought my first and only bow from him years ago. Did he say "good morning at 400 pm?

Hahaha everytime.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/14/18 05:26 PM

"Good morning" at 0400, 1500, 2200. Whenever.

Bar7, you need to bring YoungBar7 here to the new archery park over in south Huntsville and we could all get together to shoot targets.

I could bring a crossbow and we could shoot the ceiling, too. laugh

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/14/18 06:45 PM

We will make it a point to do that Clem. He has been to the one behind Athens high.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/14/18 06:57 PM

We need to get someone to drive up and shoot a crossbow arra into the ceiling there, too! laugh
Posted By: gman

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/14/18 09:15 PM

I need to get Addison and his bow we got from Big Steve over there and get it set up with him right.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/15/18 01:30 AM

George taught me how to shoot my first bow. I felt stupid because I was a grown man and could only pull it back 4-5 times and then my arms gave out. He gave me a hard time about, but was super helpful and had me come back the next day.

Bar7, you need to bring YoungBar7 here to the new archery park over in south Huntsville and we could all get together to shoot targets.

I shot there some last time I was home. Let me know if you fellas get together to shoot, I'll make an excuse to come home and hang out with ya.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/15/18 02:37 AM

Will you make the sandwiches?
Posted By: jono23

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/15/18 02:42 AM

Get me a toaster, steamer, and some sub rolls, and I got you Clem!

...I wonder how a hook and ladder with frog legs would taste...

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/15/18 03:07 AM

I'll bet it would be tasty.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/15/18 12:30 PM

We need to get someone to drive up and shoot a crossbow arra into the ceiling there, too! laugh

rofl rofl rofl
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/16/18 02:51 AM

I’m glad to see your son having fun My daughter shoots on her school archery team and loves it.

You may want to check the nasp rules, because I’m not sure they will let him shoot in competition with the finger savers on his string Tabs or gloves are ok.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/16/18 10:18 AM

From what I understand, it’s legal.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/16/18 12:59 PM

They're legal.

Page 5 www.outdooralabama.com/sites/default/files/2018-Alabama_0.docx

2.4.2. Finger protection devices similar to the “No Glove” and devices made by other manufactures may be placed on the bowstring but these must be without locator buttons (also known as kisser buttons) discs, or aiming aids.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/30/18 12:49 AM

Aydan shot the liberty middle school tournament tonight. He improved 28 points this time. He shot lights out at the closer range 10 meters. One round out of a possible 50 points he scored a 49. We need to practice more at the longer distance. Any pointers from you guys? He seems to fatigue at the end so I am reluctant to increase his poundage to increase his arrow speed for the longest distance.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/30/18 01:43 PM

That's awesome. Two thumbs up for Aydan from The Rob. thumbup thumbup

Group size will naturally increase as the distance to the target increases. This is due to slight errors in aiming, release, or form being magnified with the increased distance. The mental aspect of knowing you're shooting at a greater distance can cause a shooter to "try harder" which rarely produces good results. Shoot it the same way no matter the distance.

I would not advise increasing the draw weight. Increasing the arrow speed would help if in an unknown distance event to help with distance estimation errors, but since Aydan is shooting in a known distance event I don't see where increased arrow speed would be an advantage.

I'd suggest to keep focusing on the form and techniques George showed y'all. Time is the best teacher, by that I mean it will take 3,000 to 5,000 perfectly executed shots before the body and mind will accept it and the shot will be automatic ie the "zero mind" zen stuff. If I remember right, Aydan shoots at 10 and 15 meters. Have him shot at 20 meters a couple of times. This will make 15 meters seem easy.

As for fatigue, with practice the endurance will come. Practice up to the point where Aydan's form is still sound and he isn't shaking. Once he reaches that point, stop for the day or take an hour or two break to let him recover before continuing. Practicing beyond the point of form break will cause the body and mind to not replicate the perfect shot and introduce variances to the shot process. Perfect shots come from perfect practice whether it 100 shots or 1 shot. 1 perfectly executed shot will do more good in the long run than 100 less than perfect shots.

Basically, just keep doing what y'all are doing and have fun doing it. cool

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 03/30/18 10:37 PM

Thanks for the advice we will shoot at 20 meters! should make 15 easier. Would it be any advantage to putting a sight on his bow for at home practice or is that just going to complicate things?
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 04/01/18 04:31 AM

thumbup
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 04/01/18 12:56 PM

If he’s going to be shooting NASP competitions, it will complicate things.

Re: Spent the afternoon at custom archerys new shop - 04/02/18 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shaw
If he’s going to be shooting NASP competitions, it will complicate things.
Like Shaw said, for NASP it would complicate things.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM