Aldeer.com

Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts

Posted By: Coosa1

Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/18/17 05:02 PM

Anybody get drawn for the Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts this year? I’ve never been anywhere near the area and not really sure what to expect. I got drawn for the February hunt, section 12.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/18/17 06:26 PM

Should be some bruisers on their feet rutting. I've never been on that WMA, but the surround land is beautiful. Typical river swamp/bottom land.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/18/17 10:39 PM

I’ll be there in February, Section 3.

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/19/17 08:05 AM

Where are you planning on staying AC? I’ve gotta get on the ball and start looking for a hotel here soon.
Posted By: auburn17

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/19/17 08:46 AM

I will be hunting it December 29-31. I will let you know how it goes.
Posted By: Bturner6

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/19/17 06:13 PM

I will be up there hunting the same dates dec 29-31. looking forward to hunting that place and getting to hang out and talk with other hunters. Should be a great time!
Posted By: Tortuga

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/20/17 07:21 AM

Nov 24th and 25th my son and me went he shot a buck and doe on area 4..We had excellent weather and the temp was perfect..Lots of hog sign..and deer sign. [img]IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/14y0acz.jpg[/img][/img] [img][IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/2442muf.jpg[/img][/img]
Posted By: Inspector

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/20/17 12:47 PM

That's great Tortuga. We will be there weekend of Jan. 5th and are staying at St. Stephens Hist. Park it is about 30 minutes from the hunting area and they have cabins and you hookups for campers.
Posted By: charlie

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/20/17 01:17 PM

Nice job. That's the weekend we were there too. Yall must have come in after we had already checked in and left. Good to hear some kid's got a couple.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/20/17 01:32 PM

I'll be there with my son 1/5 in unit 14. Staying in Jackson

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/20/17 04:37 PM

We had an excellent hunt. The area we were selected for was just fine..We did it on the #4 greenfield..Ground blind worked good for us..brushed it in a little and hid it inside the treeline..He had three missfires out of a box of Hornady XTs though..We still were able to get it done..with alot of unexpected misshap..Best of luck to yall on your hunts up there..Those are pretty woods..

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/20/17 04:41 PM

Bye the way..I asked the Warden when we were selected about camping and he offered to us primitive camping at the check station..His name is Bruce Todd..That option may still be open..

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/20/17 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Coosa1
Where are you planning on staying AC? I’ve gotta get on the ball and start looking for a hotel here soon.

We’re pulling my buddy's camper down. Staying at St Stephens Park. I think they have cabins too. They have a funny staffing schedule this time of year like Mon, Wed, Fri. Leave a message and they’ll call you back.
Posted By: James

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/21/17 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: AC870

We’re pulling my buddy's camper down. Staying at St Stephens Park. I think they have cabins too. They have a funny staffing schedule this time of year like Mon, Wed, Fri. Leave a message and they’ll call you back.
I may try and swing by and bullchit with ya, i'm only about 55 minutes away grin

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/21/17 07:44 PM

That would be cool.

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/22/17 06:32 PM

It’s looking like I’ll probably get one of the cabins at St Stephens, might have to find y’all and hang out a bit.
Posted By: James

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/22/17 09:46 PM

That would be cool.
thumbup

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/22/17 11:29 PM

It’s looking like I’ll probably get one of the cabins at St Stephens, might have to find y’all and hang out a bit.

Heck yeah. We gonna have a get together! I’ll pm y’all my phone no before the hunt. We going down Thurs. and will hunt through Saturday.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/23/17 12:13 AM

I have a camp outside of Jackson and a house in Jackson. Which ever is closer could be an option for someone needing a hunting partner. Just sayin!
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/23/17 12:18 AM

I’d like to hang out if Y’all meet up if there’s gonna be a get together. I should be there last week of Jan and first of Feb. pm me if interested.

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/30/17 08:16 AM

Anyone that’s down there this weekend having any luck yet?

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/30/17 10:12 PM

Just got back home, didn't want to stay and hunt in the rain tomorrow.

There were a couple does killed, a 177lbs 8 point, and a button buck. Deer were moving late morning with the moon. We didn't start seeing deer today until 9.

It is a very organized hunt and a beautiful piece of property. A lot steeper terrain than what I was expecting. Deer are still feeding on acorns up on the ridges, most along the river and in low areas were rotten. Only 1 of the 4 plots in our section had been planted

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/31/17 01:09 AM

What section were y’all in?
Is there an antler restriction?

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 12/31/17 10:12 AM

What section were y’all in?
Is there an antler restriction?

I was in section 6. There is no antler restriction, you can kill anything but a spotted fawn if you want. They are trying to reduce the deer population.

There is a lot of vehicle traffic in and out of sections. We had the best luck staying off of main roads and using the roads closed to vehicles. Take a deer cart with you
Posted By: Buddy

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 01/24/18 03:00 PM

I am heading down Feb 2 as well. Section 5. Looking at the topos I'm a bit surprised how hilly it appears to be. Anyone hunted this section and care to share your experience?

Re: Fred T Stimpson SOA hunts - 01/24/18 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Buddy
I am heading down Feb 2 as well. Section 5. Looking at the topos I'm a bit surprised how hilly it appears to be. Anyone hunted this section and care to share your experience?

I think my partner that will be hinting with me hunted section 5 when he got drawn back in December. They killed a couple does and his partner missed a really nice 8.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM