Aldeer.com

Big deer killed in Jasper

Posted By: JD_Deer_Slayer

Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 02:31 PM

Anyone else see the monster killed in Jasper? I saw it on Facebook. It was a good one.
Posted By: Zkd22

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 02:36 PM

What page?

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 03:36 PM

Just saw it. That's a damn stud
Posted By: BamaWes14

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:09 PM

What page on facebook?

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:16 PM

Houndstooth game calls
Posted By: crocker

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:25 PM

Somebody screenshot it and post it for us "nonfacebookers"
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:29 PM

Yep it's a biggun
Posted By: muddyfeet

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
Yep it's a biggun

Yep
Posted By: Buck_TrackingAL

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:38 PM

Useless without pics
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:40 PM

Posted By: Hoytdad10

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:40 PM

Heck of a buck
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:43 PM

Bankhead strikes again!
Posted By: top cat

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:49 PM

Awesome buck

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:49 PM

I don't think it was killed in Jasper
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 04:50 PM

high fence deer for sure.
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 05:17 PM

Is that the same guy who killed that monster in Bankhead last year with a muzzleloader?
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: ALclearcut
Is that the same guy who killed that monster in Bankhead last year with a muzzleloader?

That was my first thought! Sure looks like him.
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 06:07 PM

I need to find out where the deer are getting through that high fence up and put a stand up. eek
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 06:10 PM

stud buck deer and he does look like that muzzleloader bankhead fella
Posted By: Sulli

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 06:47 PM

That's the guy that owns Pats archery in Jasper from what I understand.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 06:47 PM

Damn good deer.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 06:51 PM

That’s a nice one for sure
Posted By: Stob

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 06:56 PM

That one got lost.......from Illinois.
Posted By: Recurve

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 07:24 PM

I want to know this guy’s story. That, at least IMO, is the same Bankhead guy from last year. He’s killing P&Y/B&C bucks every year (or least 2 years in a row) that most people only see a couple times in Alabama in a lifetime. My cousin killed several giants (for AL standards) that were mid 130s. Then killed a 188 in Iowa and that 146 in Illinois last week I posted. Those are both huge deer. I’m not accusing the guy of anything. I just want to know his story. Congrats to him and all but I think it’s normal to raise eyebrows over 2 years in a row in AL when you aren’t hunting Dream Ranch
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 07:44 PM

Pat of Pats Archery is a older gentleman
unless he sold his business.
Not sure who the guy is but he is on some deer!!!
Posted By: muddyfeet

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Jmxinc
Pat of Pats Archery is a older gentleman
unless he sold his business.
Not sure who the guy is but he is on some deer!!!

Pat Patton sold his store to the guy in the picture a few years back. He's a good guy.From what I heard that deer was killed somewhere around Union Springs. I don't know if it was high fence or not. If you're ever in there take time to talk to Paul in the archery department, he has multiple 150's on the walls inside the store, and a really good guy. No it's not the same guy who killed the giant in Bankhead last year.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 07:52 PM

This is the caption with the pic (same pic on here) on FB....

Congrats Reed Jackson owner of Pats Archery in Jasper, AL. on a Bama beast! "Little Rattling and a few grunts on the Houndstooth Walnut Grunt and he was there!" Moral of this story is don't be afraid to call to deer ya never know when it might work!
www.houndstoothgamecalls.com
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 08:58 PM

There are several “ hunting preserves “ around union springs. Not saying it’s a high fence deer but .......... this is Alabama

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: mauvilla
There are several “ hunting preserves “ around union springs. Not saying it’s a high fence deer but .......... this is Alabama

That’s what I’m saying. I’m not knocking the guy or saying he’s taking deer illegally by any means. It’s just 2 years in a row now (maybe more) and he’s killing P&Y/B&C deer. I just want to know the story. Good hunting strategy is one thing and can’t net some good results...but you can have all the strategy you want and it doesn’t change AL genetics. Even for Bankhead where there are notoriously big deer. Good for him and all that. Again, I’m not knocking another man’s success.
Posted By: Driveby

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Recurve

That’s what I’m saying. I’m not knocking the guy or saying he’s taking deer illegally by any means. It’s just 2 years in a row now (maybe more) and he’s killing P&Y/B&C deer. I just want to know the story. Good hunting strategy is one thing and can’t net some good results...but you can have all the strategy you want and it doesn’t change AL genetics. Even for Bankhead where there are notoriously big deer. Good for him and all that. Again, I’m not knocking another man’s success.

NOT THE SAME GUY. I know Reed and he did not kill the buck in Bankhead last year.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 09:13 PM

That's not the same guy..... So it wasn't "two" years in a row. Maybe Lyle will give us some insight since he is a member of the forum and was the one to post this on Facebook. Seems doubtful that he would post a high fence deer, but maybe he did.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Atoler

That's not the same guy..... So it wasn't "two" years in a row. Maybe Lyle will give us some insight since he is a member of the forum and was the one to post this on Facebook. Seems doubtful that he would post a high fence deer, but maybe he did.

Man they look a lot alike. So was this not killed in Bankhead? I saw Bankhead or Union Springs
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 09:18 PM

Damn, no wonder most of the big deer Aldeer members kill don't get posted.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Reaper

Man, I’m not knocking the guy. I said at least 3 times I just want to know the story. It’s an impressive deer. But when you see deer like that popping up in AL, you want to know the story.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 09:33 PM

So was this not killed in Bankhead?

I think they said it was killed somewhere between Jasper and Union Springs……..
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 09:34 PM

Man, I’m not knocking the guy. I said at least 3 times I just want to know the story. It’s an impressive deer. But when you see deer like that popping up in AL, you want to know the story.

And most people that kill them don’t want you to know the story. 95 percent of us don’t own our own hunting land and deer like that will get you monied out of a good spot in a hurry, or poached all over.
Posted By: Driveby

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: tfd1224

And most people that kill them don’t want you to know the story. 95 percent of us don’t own our own hunting land and deer like that will get you monied out of a good spot in a hurry, or poached all over.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
Posted By: woodduck

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/16/17 10:22 PM

Damn nice deer
Posted By: HToothgamecalls

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 12:16 AM

I saw the buck on his personal page and text him congrats. Told him I would share it after his shop posted it didn't wanna steal someone's thunder after he explained to me how he used the grunt and rattling. All I know is he said on his personal page he had bow hunted 23 yrs and 17 of them were on this property. So I took it he finally killed a trophy bama buck on a place he had hunted a long time. I can't tell ya where he killed it may never know. I can tell ya they have been a great dealer to me and he buys his personal calls in his order every season. So when a success picture comes from any dealer or customer I will post it with the available info I have been given. It's not in me to separate us as hunters by high fence or fair chase. I just can't I feel like I am ruining something that maybe one of the most special moments that person may have in their life. So as long as our game laws are followed I am good with it. I will tell you this there are plenty of bucks that are out there you don't know about and won't no about that are killed on property here in the south. They don't want the publicity of whitetail record books and will never let you know about it. I have seen pictures of them and I have laid my hands on them. I also know that those people are extremely private. So on a ending note I only know the small part how it lead up to the kill. ~LG
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 05:53 AM

That kinda buck right there is what we are all after at tbe end of the day (well, most of us at least). Congrats to the man on a deer of a lifetime. Thats a stud in any state.
Posted By: inatree

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 06:01 AM

Whoever is killed a great buck.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 06:03 AM

Originally Posted By: tfd1224

Agree 100%. I wasn’t asking for his spot.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: HToothgamecalls
I saw the buck on his personal page and text him congrats. Told him I would share it after his shop posted it didn't wanna steal someone's thunder after he explained to me how he used the grunt and rattling. All I know is he said on his personal page he had bow hunted 23 yrs and 17 of them were on this property. So I took it he finally killed a trophy bama buck on a place he had hunted a long time. I can't tell ya where he killed it may never know. I can tell ya they have been a great dealer to me and he buys his personal calls in his order every season. So when a success picture comes from any dealer or customer I will post it with the available info I have been given. It's not in me to separate us as hunters by high fence or fair chase. I just can't I feel like I am ruining something that maybe one of the most special moments that person may have in their life. So as long as our game laws are followed I am good with it. I will tell you this there are plenty of bucks that are out there you don't know about and won't no about that are killed on property here in the south. They don't want the publicity of whitetail record books and will never let you know about it. I have seen pictures of them and I have laid my hands on them. I also know that those people are extremely private. So on a ending note I only know the small part how it lead up to the kill. ~LG

That’s what I was looking for. I didn’t want the GPS coordinates. I wouldn’t do that or expect someone to give it to me. It’s just when a deer like that comes out of AL, you want the know some kind of story with it. I’m not going to publicly chastise someone for high fence hunting. It just to me makes it even cooler to kill a deer like that and it not be. It’s just the nature of the game that when someone kills a deer that isn’t free range, people aren’t as impressed. Whether that’s right or wrong is another argument. It’s hard enough to get on and kill 4.5 year old deer, much less deer like that.
Posted By: HToothgamecalls

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 06:49 AM

Hey look guys I know y'all just want some info on it and story it's interesting as a hunter imagine how good it made me feel when he told me he rattled and used my grunt 😂! I am sure there will be more info here in the next few weeks on it!
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 07:11 AM

The guys name is Reed Jackson and he indeed owns Pats Archery. It’s a LEGITIMATE kill. He texted me pictures of it right after he shot it. It’s a stud. Reed is a straight up good guy. We’ve been friends for years.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 08:46 AM

Great dang buck thats for sure. Congrats to the hunter and to the call maker! thumbup beers
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession
Great dang buck thats for sure. Congrats to the hunter and to the call maker! thumbup beers

Yep!
Posted By: Possum Hunter

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 09:32 AM

I will try to find the post. Someone had posted the story under it, he did kill this deer in Alabama but it was in a high fence afew people lease
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: NWALJM

Originally Posted By: ALclearcut

That was my first thought! Sure looks like him.
huh...thats what i thought as well.....he know somethin we dont i wonder
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Possum Hunter
I will try to find the post. Someone had posted the story under it, he did kill this deer in Alabama but it was in a high fence afew people lease

Yes, makes it a lot less impressive knowing it came from a high fence.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 03:00 PM

Not impressed shooting a deer in a pen , screw that
Posted By: kkfish

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 06:16 PM

Well folks I will say I have hunted high fence and it’s not always a slam dunk. I don’t know nor do I care if it was or not. The man has the choice or the money to do what and how he chooses. I like seeing a great looking buck no matter whether it’s a fence or not. Of course a big one like that taken free range is iceing on the cake but either way congrats and whoever shared the pics thanks and again to that fella congrats on a great deer. Wish more folks would share their photos cause to me just be proud of a good deer. Just my opinion and that’s all it is. All stay safe and post em up no matter how big or small.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: kkfish
Well folks I will say I have hunted high fence and it’s not always a slam dunk. I don’t know nor do I care if it was or not. The man has the choice or the money to do what and how he chooses. I like seeing a great looking buck no matter whether it’s a fence or not. Of course a big one like that taken free range is iceing on the cake but either way congrats and whoever shared the pics thanks and again to that fella congrats on a great deer. Wish more folks would share their photos cause to me just be proud of a good deer. Just my opinion and that’s all it is. All stay safe and post em up no matter how big or small.

I don't think any less of him for killing it in a fence. To each his own. But let's not act like that is the same as killing a free range deer that size in Alabama.
It may not be a slam dunk, but the odds are exponentially higher inside the big pen.
Posted By: PaintRock0

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 07:25 PM

Its something how it seems the big buck kill pics are all questioned????? But post a pic of a sure stud eaten corn/bait/rice bran/ and no one no one care are even says oh that's a fenced in deer from Disney.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 07:28 PM

They were questioned and ended up being the truth
Posted By: jono23

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: PaintRock0
Its something how it seems the big buck kill pics are all questioned????? But post a pic of a sure stud eaten corn/bait/rice bran/ and no one no one care are even says oh that's a fenced in deer from Disney.

This is a hunting website. I would guess most people care more about dead deer than the alive ones.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: PaintRock0

If you're willing to post your high fence kill of a giant buck to social media then you should expect to be questioned.
Nothing against high fence deer, I just don't like the fact that people don't want to admit it was killed in one.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 07:53 PM

Your right Muddyfeet ,,Paul at Pats is a super guy.
I met the guy that killed this deer in Pats and assumed he
worked there,,,, Paul kills a 150 class with a bow more years
than not. Class guy!
Congrats to the gentleman that killed the buck,
I can't hunt his spot but I can get me one of those
Houndstooth Calls!!!
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 09:06 PM

no shitt....
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bwhunter
Originally Posted By: Possum Hunter

Yes, makes it a lot less impressive knowing it came from a high fence.

you are basing that "knowing" on what?????
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 09:29 PM

Its a nice deer. If he killed it in a high fence or not, at least he aint making up a "free range" story about it. He just posted a pic.
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 09:41 PM

I believe it was free range until told otherwise. I wouldn't say a word about where if it were me. because you can guarantee that land will be good as gone the next year.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/17/17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Jmxinc
Paul kills a 150 class with a bow more years
than not. Class guy!

Paul is a very good guy. I've known him my entire life. You got that part right. But he does not kill a 150" more years than not. Trust me.
Posted By: HoofNSpur

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/18/17 05:46 AM

Yep, this thread is exactly why I don't post my Deer Kills anymore.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/18/17 06:46 AM

Originally Posted By: HoofNSpur

You killing a lot of 160+ deer?

Not directed at Hoof, just others in the thread. As far as me, I just asked the story. Killing a deer like that is impressive but it isn’t common in AL. Many will hunt this state their entire lives and never see a deer of that caliber. I wasn’t questioning whether it was high fence or free range. I assumed this was just another monster like Bankhead (and actually thought it was the same guy). I don’t know why, in a state that doesn’t even produce that many 150+ bucks, it’s so hard for people to understand why others might question a kill like this being high fence. It’s normal to do so. That’s a stud. Personally, I would never participate in a high fence or any other type of hunting that isn't as natural as you find in the wild. That’s just me. I originally asked to get the story because like I said, most people will never see a deer like that outside of a state that produces deer like that. It doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. It’s just the likelihood of seeing that deer in the wild and in AL is unlikely enough the first thought others have is “high fence.” I don’t agree with just jumping in and accusing the guy of hunting high fence, but I also don’t see why others have a hard time understanding why that is what other hunters think.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/18/17 07:12 AM

Not directed at Hoof, just others in the thread. As far as me, I just asked the story. Killing a deer like that is impressive but it isn’t common in AL. Many will hunt this state their entire lives and never see a deer of that caliber. I wasn’t questioning whether it was high fence or free range. I assumed this was just another monster like Bankhead (and actually thought it was the same guy). I don’t know why, in a state that doesn’t even produce that many 150+ bucks, it’s so hard for people to understand why others might question a kill like this being high fence. It’s normal to do so. That’s a stud. Personally, I would never participate in a high fence or any other type of hunting that isn't as natural as you find in the wild. That’s just me. I originally asked to get the story because like I said, most people will never see a deer like that outside of a state that produces deer like that. It doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. It’s just the likelihood of seeing that deer in the wild and in AL is unlikely enough the first thought others have is “high fence.” I don’t agree with just jumping in and accusing the guy of hunting high fence, but I also don’t see why others have a hard time understanding why that is what other hunters think.

I personally know 5 people that shoot 140" deer just about every year IN ALABAMA!! Not a one of them will post a word or picture about it on here. MAYBE a pic like Reeds on Facebook but that's it.

In addition these guys don't post trail camera pics either, nor do I if it's a really good deer. It's just not worth the BS of people trying to find out exactly where the land is, etc.

WAY TO MUCH ENVY WHEN IT COMES TO BIG DEER. AND I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT THERE ARE STUDS 140"+ killed every year in this state that you will never know about.
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/18/17 07:13 AM

Free range in the big pen?

In all seriousness, there is nothing wrong with killing a high fence deer. But if you are going to put pictures of it on social media, then also include in your story the fact that you killed it on a paid hunt at a deer preserve. The whole reason you put the pic on the internet is to brag about your kill. You know it will make the rounds all over the state. That's why you posted it.

We ought to be able to assume that a pic of a big buck from an Alabama hunter is an Alabama free range buck. That's how 99% of the deer in this state are killed. If it's a 160+ you killed on a paid hunt in the Midwest, or in a high fence, then just say it. No one will fault you for that. Where you get trashed on social media is when you post one to brag, but then your bragging turns out to be disingenuous by hiding the full story.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/18/17 08:18 AM

They don't have to be 160"+ plus for the envy and lies to creep in. If somebody posts multiple 125-140" free range deer on line for several years the result can be horrible.
Posted By: rulebreaker

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/18/17 08:50 AM

Why does it have to be twisted around like that? It was 100% free range in the big pen! lol

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/18/17 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: joshm28

I personally know 5 people that shoot 140" deer just about every year IN ALABAMA!! Not a one of them will post a word or picture about it on here. MAYBE a pic like Reeds on Facebook but that's it.

In addition these guys don't post trail camera pics either, nor do I if it's a really good deer. It's just not worth the BS of people trying to find out exactly where the land is, etc.

WAY TO MUCH ENVY WHEN IT COMES TO BIG DEER. AND I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT THERE ARE STUDS 140"+ killed every year in this state that you will never know about.

I agree with you and know there are studs 140+ that are killed. My question was 160s though. I'll post a kill of mine because I'm proud of it and like you, I really don't post trail cam pics. I hunt on private land with few members so it wouldn't matter, I just don't. If I kill a 140, I'll post it all day. We had a 142 killed on our property last year. My point was, when you get up into the range that deer will probably score, in AL, people will question whether it was high fence or free range, and understandably so. I’m not saying there aren’t deer like that in AL roaming around. Heck that guy in Bankhead got him a monster. I don’t really care if it was free range or high fence. Am I more impressed by a hunter sticking a buck like that on a WMA? Yes. I think most people are, so I don’t fault people for feeling that way. I’m not even saying this deer is high fence. I know some have said it is, some have said it isn’t. It’s a stud either way. I just don’t understand people getting their drawers in a wad over someone asking if it is, knowing full well most AL deer don’t have those genetics naturally without some kind of breeding program and even if we did have those widespread genetics, we probably wouldn’t let them grow to reach that type of mass.
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/18/17 09:13 AM

The best hunter I know has killed at the time the fourth biggest and the state and multiple 150 plus and never says a word.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/18/17 09:20 AM

I agree with you and know there are studs 140+ that are killed. My question was 160s though. I'll post a kill of mine because I'm proud of it and like you, I really don't post trail cam pics. I hunt on private land with few members so it wouldn't matter, I just don't. If I kill a 140, I'll post it all day. We had a 142 killed on our property last year. My point was, when you get up into the range that deer will probably score, in AL, people will question whether it was high fence or free range, and understandably so. I’m not saying there aren’t deer like that in AL roaming around. Heck that guy in Bankhead got him a monster. I don’t really care if it was free range or high fence. Am I more impressed by a hunter sticking a buck like that on a WMA? Yes. I think most people are, so I don’t fault people for feeling that way. I’m not even saying this deer is high fence. I know some have said it is, some have said it isn’t. It’s a stud either way. I just don’t understand people getting their drawers in a wad over someone asking if it is, knowing full well most AL deer don’t have those genetics naturally without some kind of breeding program and even if we did have those widespread genetics, we probably wouldn’t let them grow to reach that type of mass.

My post wast directed at you alone. My point is that Alabama can and does grow 140, 150 & 160 deer every year. If you have enough land and let bucks get some age on them then anyone can grow a 140. I said 140 in my post because most folks would call me out if I said 160. That being said I know of several bucks between 150-170 that were killed on private land in Alabama in the last 2 years. The common factor on these deer is a decent amount of acreage, summer and winter plots and not killing bucks under 5 years old. Hell most of the big bucks I know of being shot were done so on food plots!! Funny how food plots become a GREAT place to shoot BIG BUCKS when nobody shoots does on the plots nor any young bucks.

I guess my point was most big buck killers in Alabama will never tell you when they kill on on social media. Some members here included

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/18/17 10:01 AM

My post wast directed at you alone. My point is that Alabama can and does grow 140, 150 & 160 deer every year. If you have enough land and let bucks get some age on them then anyone can grow a 140. I said 140 in my post because most folks would call me out if I said 160. That being said I know of several bucks between 150-170 that were killed on private land in Alabama in the last 2 years. The common factor on these deer is a decent amount of acreage, summer and winter plots and not killing bucks under 5 years old. Hell most of the big bucks I know of being shot were done so on food plots!! Funny how food plots become a GREAT place to shoot BIG BUCKS when nobody shoots does on the plots nor any young bucks.

I guess my point was most big buck killers in Alabama will never tell you when they kill on on social media. Some members here included

I agree 100%. I wasn’t necessarily directing at all at you either. I have seen some really big deer on our property and around the state. We need to do a better job of management on ours. We do fall/winter plots and I put out minerals around the property and even supply some extra protein prior to October. We have all been hurting for time the past few years in the spring/summer so we just haven’t been able to do as much. For my job, I can either take time preparing more in the summer and hunt less in the fall/winter or I can do as much as I can starting in August and have as much time to hunt as I want. I killed that buck Monday morning and he was decent. He’s probably a 115-120 if I’m being generous so I should probably have let him walk. But, it’s the second hunt of the season for me and you can’t beat getting a good buck that early and being able to relax and be pickier about what you shoot at. Plus the fact that it was one of those 5 yard near straight down shots on the run with a stick bow gives me reason to brag a little grin

But yeah, I completely understand there are big deer in AL. I’ve seen them on our property. It’s just the ratio of deer killed in the 160s to deer killed in the 120s is staggering in AL so when those kind of deer show up on social media, people’s first reaction is to ask if it was high fence. It’s bad, but just how it is.

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/18/17 09:37 PM

Men I will tell you I have killed lots of deer but None that Size!!
If and when I do you will get to see a pic and I will be darned proud
of it !!
I hope we get to see many more deer like that from our state
And hopefully by Aldeer hunters.
Posted By: rulebreaker

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/19/17 09:00 AM

It's kinda like this. I compare killing a monster in a high fence to catching a 10# bass in a private farm pond versus Lake Martin.
Posted By: Cummins

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/22/17 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: ColeT
The best hunter I know has killed at the time the fourth biggest and the state and multiple 150 plus and never says a word.

Two of my close friends are not on this site nor care to be. They kill 140" and 150" deer here in Bama. FACT !
Posted By: Cummins

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/22/17 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Cummins

Originally Posted By: ColeT

Two of my close friends are not on this site nor care to be. They kill 140" and 150" deer here in Bama. FACT !

And forgot to say...you want hear a word or see any pics.
Posted By: MorningAir

Re: Big deer killed in Jasper - 10/22/17 10:48 PM

When I had good places to hunt, I would never post trail camera pictures on Facebook or this site. I'll post some on Facebook and here from years ago, but the deer are probably dead by now. There are people that stalk this site and Facebook during turkey season, looking for a lease to dig into.

People make '' hunters '' , out to be good ole boys that love Jesus and are good old school god fearing people, but in over 36 years of doing this, hunting in the south is a sport of selfish pride and crookedness. It's a game of dwindled resources.

Not every year, but ever day, there are less and less, and less, and less acres to hunt, so those that have the acres and aren't afraid to boast, will boast, and those that don't, and have the resources and energy to take, will take.

Also, I understand the hate on high fences, but I've hunted several plantations in the southeast that were NOT high fenced, and been in a couple of fenced places, but never hunted. I can tell you that there isn't much difference. Yes, the deer in the fence probably score higher, but the '' fight or flight '' mechanism in the deer is probably less, much less, in some places without fence. But, I will admit, it does look bad to post a deer on social media that was killed '' in a fence'', it's the optics of it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM